iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer bed extension

Started by rooster 58, December 19, 2012, 09:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I was lurking on youtube the other day and came across a video titled wm bx12. So I clicked on it and saw this video of a hydraulic bed extension for the wm. It included side supports, a hydraulic claw style log turner, and a hydraulic log clamp. I never knew that existed. Anybody see this before? And I wonder if it would be available with a chain turner for the 50 and 70?

pineywoods

OOOhhh, I want one. No way I can afford it, but I been thinking about building a 12 foot one with pineywoods hydraulics..But then I'd have to extend the sawshed  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

rooster 58

Yah I may have a market for long stuff. It looks awesome. Spoke to pa. wm and they didnt seem to know about it.

slider

I think customsawyer is sawing up to 45 ft on his.There was a video of it here on another thread last week i think.
al glenn

thecfarm

Home made? Some do some real nice work. Was it customsawyer?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

My extension is 24'. When I first ordered it I ask WM to add the hyd. claw turner, both toe board rollers, the side supports and the clamp. They informed me that they had never done that. I said the ext. is just another mill frame so just add them on like you would for a LT40 and let me know how much. It wasn't long after that that (for Tom ;D) they called and asked how I hooked up the hyd.  so I shared with them what little I did and that was all that I had to do with it. I am sure they put a lot more work and effort in it than I did.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

I talked to New York about a hydraulic BX and they had never heard of it. I told them the same thing, it's just a mill, leave the axle and hitch off.  :D I have the BX24, and it really needs hydraulics, but the manual bed doesn't accept the two plane clamp. I want to get a hydraulic BX24 that is drilled on both ends for the adapter and put it in the middle. 69' should do it. ::) Although I do have an 85' SYP log to saw up, but we'll probably just cut it into short logs and make dimensional lumber out of it. :'(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Okrafarmer

Piney, you have the jig needed to drill an older frame to attach the extension, right? (Or was I not supposed to tell about that?)  :-X

Maybe you could find an old LT-40HD and simply take the unnecessary parts off and use it for an extension.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

pineywoods

Quote from: Okrafarmer on December 20, 2012, 08:13:22 PM
Piney, you have the jig needed to drill an older frame to attach the extension, right? (Or was I not supposed to tell about that?)  :-X

Maybe you could find an old LT-40HD and simply take the unnecessary parts off and use it for an extension.

Okra, that would work IF the price was about the same as buying new steel. If I found one that cheap, I'd be tempted to fix it up and then sell it  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MartyParsons

Hello,
WM does not offer a BX with these options. It may have been built as a special order or someone made it up from parts. I have seen one modified in Virginia that has lifting, clamping ,  Turning and toe boards.
Thanks Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Okrafarmer

Quote from: MartyParsons on December 20, 2012, 09:09:23 PM
Hello,
WM does not offer a BX with these options. It may have been built as a special order or someone made it up from parts. I have seen one modified in Virginia that has lifting, clamping ,  Turning and toe boards.
Thanks Marty

Sounds like a good project for somebody to get working on, Marty!  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Mooney

The video is for a sawmill model built specifically for European markets at our facility in Poland. Apparently there is enough demand to warrant making it an official option in that part of the world.

Okrafarmer

Keep a close eye on it, Mooney. People here may be wanting one. (No, I am not ready to buy one yet!)

Warren

Quote from: Okrafarmer on December 22, 2012, 12:16:17 AM
Keep a close eye on it, Mooney. People here may be wanting one. (No, I am not ready to buy one yet!)

Jim,  WoodMizer has several options / variations in their European products that I think could be useful here in the U.S.  For example, they have 3 different lengths for their LT40's.  The LT40L (Long) will cut logs up to 8.6 meters (28+ ft) in length.    Having a "long" frame in the U.S. would eliminate the need for me to have an extension on my base LT40 mill to cut 24 to 25ft wagon rails.  Also, for guys like Custom Sawyer, who cut the really long stuff on a regular basis, it would get them out to 52ft with only one 24ft extension.

However, having been thru WoodMizer's production facility in Indiana where they build the mills, I understand that a longer mill here in the U.S. would have to be a totally one off, custom, endeavor. 
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!