iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbe in Illinois - Looking to say hi and get suggestions...

Started by Schramm, December 25, 2012, 07:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schramm

First of all let me introduce myself since this is my first post.  My name is Rob and I live in Central Illinois.  I own a mirror company where I make antique mirror glass (newly made mirror that mimics mirror 100 or more years old).  If you want to understand better check out my website www.antiqued-mirrors.com.  Anyway I have just bought a ton of woodworking equipment including a Woodmaster plainer/molder so that I can make mirror frames and moldings.  In doing so I have found something that I absolutely love and that is old barn beams.  First there is no limit to how many you can get for practically nothing.  While I know this will be alot of work (ie.  prep on the wood such as pulling nails, bolts and so on) I would love to buy a mill where I could make flooring from the old reclaimed barn beams.  While I have looked at a number of mills for the last 3 days I think that the one best suited for me is the Hud-Son HFE-21, the cost is right, the size is fine but the HP of the motor is a little less then the alternative Woodland Mill HM126 that I also think would work.  Can anyone give me suggestions?  I am also interested in getting some more information on kiln drying and heating the lumber to kill off bugs that may be in the wood.  I have read a lot on sun kilns for drying wood, right now I would have a local mill allow me to bring the wood to them to kiln dry but would much rather not spend the money driving there, driving back and paying for them to do the drying.
Any help would be very much appreciated

To all have a  :christmas:

Don_Papenburg

Central Illinois is a large place , could you narrow it down a bit?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

paul case

Welcometo the forum.
Sounds like you have a plan. I think you will find sawing most addicting. So get a mill you like to start with. I am partial to ez boardwalk. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Schramm

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on December 25, 2012, 07:20:05 PM
Central Illinois is a large place , could you narrow it down a bit?

I live in Spring Valley, Illinois about 1 hour east of Davenport IA down I80 and about 2 hours outside Chicago.

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I would think that for the short term have the mill dry your wood while you practice with which ever drying method that you choose. Drying wood can be very challenging especially with different species.
Sorry I can't offer any advise on the smaller mills. Do be afraid to ask questions!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Don_Papenburg

Thats cool not too far from me . I had a cousin that lived in the valley .  I am about 40 miles from you then .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Magicman

Merry Christmas Schramm, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Have you talked with the HUD-SON folks about a possible engine upgrade?   Anyway, I doubt that you would go wrong with either as well as any that are listed as sponsors here along the left side of your screen.

Searching for the correct sawmill is part of the journey, enjoy it.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dutchman

Are you planning on drying green lumber, or do you want to further dry
lumber cut from  beams?
Sending old lumber to a kiln may not be the best solution.
Air dried lumber is stable, and reclaimed lumber is very low in moisture content.
If you need specific info post in the Drying and Processing section of the forum.

Schramm

dutchman,

As everything with me is a learning process, the more I understand how something works the more uses I can see from it.  I really at this point have no intention of buying logs and doing green lumber cuts (that does not mean that I will not later on in the future).  Right now I have full intention of buying beams from tore down barns.  I can buy them here for around 1.75-3 per running foot for 10"x10" beams.  What I love about the beams is it is Virgin growth timbers for the most part and has a very nice age and patina. 
Since my primary income comes from mirror manufacturing I am getting into this slower then I would if I needed it for an income so I have time for a learning curve.  What is great is once I have a plan intact I have clients that would buy my cut wood faster then I could get it done.  My main clients for my mirror business are start up high end hotels, restaurants, bars, pubs or very high end homeowners.  A big thing in Manhattan is the use of reclaimed lumber and I am seeing it more and more all the time all over the USA.  My website generates well over 4000 unique visitors a month and sometimes as many as 10,000 visitors and they are already buying material (right now just mirrors) that look of a era and I think that this will be a great addition.  I want to and may still buy a Timber King 1220 as I know and trust the guys as I own a Woodmaster but since this is just an idea and since I just bought $15K worth of woodworking equipment for doing finish work I am hesitant to spend $7K when I feel that $3K will get me a leg in and if it works and shows good profit potential then I can always upgrade.

Thanks a lot and I am going to post in that other section to see if I can get help.  I know that post beams have a low content of moisture 12-15% however I have been warned that the lumber also needs to be brought up to a heat level of 130 for 48 hours to kill off any bugs and that is the part that has me concerned.

Rob

wesdor

Welcome Schramm,

I live in the Quad City area.  Like your idea of using reclaimed barn beams.  My sister had a big barn taken down about 5 years ago.  Unfortunately it was mostly burned.  Wish you had been around then.

I don't own one, but for the price range you should check out what Paul Case said - the EZ Boardwalk. One of the sponsors here and just across the border in Missouri.

The Hdson is a good choice as well.  I suggest you try to find the models you are interested in and try them out before you make a purchase

Good luck

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

board

i have owned both the hudson and the ez boardwalk they are both good mills. the ez boardwalk is my choice its alot heavyer duty mill for your money.thats just imo.
paul

Thank You Sponsors!