iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bottom dogs on a Frick sawmill ?

Started by A10ECGent, December 18, 2012, 02:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A10ECGent

I have been cleaning, blasting, and painting my Frick 01 and found something interesting. I have not seen any reference to bottom dogs on a Frick circle saw, but I assume that is what these are. The rack that the dogs ride on slides up and down on the ells. These bottom dogs pin to the ells on the back of the dog slide up through the ell and the bottom rack bracket goes through the hole in it. When you dog down the top it pulls the rack up pulling the bottom dog up with it

Hard work spotlights the character of people:
some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses,
and some don't turn up at all.  ~Sam Ewing

A10ECGent

Just thought I'd add a picture of my freshly painted setworks also. 

Hard work spotlights the character of people:
some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses,
and some don't turn up at all.  ~Sam Ewing

Don_Papenburg

Interesting , My  01  does not have that.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

beenthere

They are nice for holding the dog board on when it is just 4/4 or 5/4 thick.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Probibly seldom mentioned, because probibly seldom used.I've got them on my Chase headblocks and can never remember using them.Suppose if you had a twisty dogboard they might help,most likely not.Watch some of the you tube vids of circlemills most sawyers use minimal doging and usally just the first headblock.I do use the drop dogs on the last board though.95% of my doging is done with a screw dog headblock,it will dog a log or a single board. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

I have never seen them before only manuals i have operated had top dogs only alot of Autos i have used had top and bottoms though I like em on the autos as you can flip cants with them too  ;) ;D 8)

You are doing a good job on the recon though to put another old Circular back in action Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

dblair

here's some information on the bottom dogs in picture form

old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

york

dblair,i would not trust that bottom dog,to mill a log as pictured,nope.....

albert
Albert

CCC4

Thats pretty neat actually! That bottom dog on a manual mill would have been very beneficial for fast sawing. Your set works bring back alot of memories. Mine didn't work well so I had to run the log in with the foot pedal. That combined with a drifting carriage and shaggin' ass made for what we called E911 sawing, get quota and send the crew home!

CCC4

Quote from: york on December 22, 2012, 10:49:54 AM
dblair,i would not trust that bottom dog,to mill a log as pictured,nope.....

albert

Now that I think about it, you have a point. How do you set it back? Looks fixed position in the pic. A spring trigger brings top dog in and out, but I see nothing to return the bottom dog back home...hmm! I bet it is for a tie mill set up where they won't be coming in more than 7 inches, jus added clamping for bigger logs. Auto mills, both top and bottom dogs retract on slides at the same time.

beenthere

Not much (enough) detail shown in the small pic posted.
Likely not as bad as being mentioned, however. ;)

On the mill I was around, the bottom dog was never out past a 4/4 dog board. And if there was wane and not a square edge, it wouldn't catch hold anyway.

Not seen one as pictured, that would reach a log half that was apparently used for quarter sawing.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dblair

I wouldn't trust them either but looks like they used them back in the day . I've got some on my mill, I'll post them another day, but can't figure how to use them . I just was looking through some antique saw equipment and saw this add for bottom dogs , then thought about your post .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

beenthere

Looks like there is an adjustment where the bottom dog is locked in position as it can slide in/out.
It locks to a vertical bar that raises up when the top dog is lowered to the log.
The combination of the two actions pinches the bottom dog and top dog together.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!