iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension Question

Started by naishy70, December 17, 2012, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naishy70

Hi Y'all, just discovered this site & figured someone somewhere might have the answer to a question about my favorite toy, our Mobile Dimension saw. It's been out of commission for a couple of years whilst we've been out of the country & now its time to get her back up'n'runnin. Was hoping to cut the first log in some time this last weekend to discover the lift/endpost motor is shot. The specs on the label are so faint I cannot read much of them, does anyone have the specs for this motor, ie. HP, frame style, model number, I believe its a Leeson 24VDC & runs at 1800 rpm. Or an idea for an equivalent? Other than that & perhaps some new exhaust silencers & manifolds she's good to go. Any help would be appreciated.

DanG

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)  I have a MD 128 but my lift motor and gearbox are not standard.  The folks at Mobile Mfg. can fix you up, but you may get a case of sticker shock. :o :D  I would try to find a good electric motor shop and see if they can rebuild what you have. You will probably save a good chunk of change that way.

Meanwhile, you can be checking all of the bearings to make sure they aren't frozen up, particularly the ones the sawhead travels along the beam on.  The ones on the left side are pretty well hidden and can cause you considerable grief if they won't turn.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

naishy70

Hi Dan, Ha that was where I was off to next, our local motor rebuild shop is pretty useful when it comes to rebuilding the stuff but I was just trying to get some back up info & prepare for the worse scenario! I was hoping to avoid the manufacturer for that very reason, "sticker shock!" all else seems to be fine on the ol' gal, seems to run along the rails well & the bearings all seem to roll. Looking forward to getting her back up & running, got a few construction projects coming in the future & a pile of Oak.

Paul_H

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a pic of the motor on the MD I used to own.I sold it in 2010.The magnets had gotten wet and froze once and one or two came loose.The fix was epoxy and a plastic pop bottle to wedge the magnet back in place.Still running I think.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!