iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Free logs"

Started by NWP, December 16, 2012, 02:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWP

I am always suspicious of "free logs".  I had a tree service guy call me yesterday and told me he had some logs piled up on a job he was doing that I could have.  He said there was "some" brush mixed in with it and there was probably 15 grapple truck loads.  Glad I checked it out before I drove the grapple truck to get them.  I took a couple of pictures.

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

shelbycharger400

:D thats what I call a explicid pile.
Its a burn pile!   You might be able to save some firewood.

lumberjack48

He must need glasses  ::)

Theres a lot of firewood, but you would earn it, digging in that brush pile.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

:D  :D I love it ! It reminds me years ago a old logger friend of mine called me and asked me to haul a couple loads of pine logs for him. He said he cut them and all I had to do was back up and start loading them. Sounded pretty easy it was July hotter then a frying pan. I get down there and its along a road but he didn't tell me it was straight up on a hill side and he had throwed trees in and over each other none of them topped or limbed . So I dug out my chains and ened up draging a truck load off the hill, but him and I had a discussion when I got back home.
Bill

shelbycharger400

autocar
that dosn't sound like a good friend to me  :D

NWP

Oh yeah, that's another thing. He said I could load from the road.  Maybe if my boom was 40' long.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

learner

Looks like the guy was just trying to get you to haul off the waste for him!  Fortunately the tree service man we hooked up with is our best supplier of top quality logs.
If you can find a good man like that, explain just what you'll take and what lengths, he'll come through for you everytime.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

CCC4

That's awesome!!!  :o  WOW, I'm speechless! So are ya gonna do it??  smiley_jester   

Magicman

Generally, free logs are worth exactly what you pay for them, and then sometimes there are the others.

These beauties were all 18"+ diameter and 8'6".  They were also delivered and stacked as shown.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Sure, there are a bunch of logs in there, just not saw logs. Sometimes if you talk to people and educate them on what a mill is looking for, they do better the second time around. :) And sometimes... ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CCC4

Quote from: Magicman on December 16, 2012, 05:27:39 PM
Generally, free logs are worth exactly what you pay for them, and then sometimes there are the others.

These beauties were all 18"+ diameter and 8'6".  They were also delivered and stacked as shown.   :)

Looks good there Magicman!! Looks like some good 2nd cut logs! Wonder what they did with the butts?

NWP

These wouldn't have been for saw logs anyway. They were supposed to be firewood logs. There is some I'm there I could put through my processor, but I'm not going to dig through the pile. I do have a couple of tree guys that get me some decent logs.  The deal was that by me getting the "logs" he wouldn't have to pay to haul and dispose it. And I would get logs. That's fine by me if its stuff I can use and not go in the hole by having to dig through it.  I'm going to call and educate him in the morning.

Magicman

Quote from: CCC4 on December 16, 2012, 05:43:45 PMWonder what they did with the butts? 
Those are all from the same tree that a tree service had removed, and there was virtually no taper.    Not all free logs are junk.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

Funny,

just this morning I drove across town and got a few loads of these babies.   The local tree service guy is more than happy to have me haul them because he doesn't have to chip them.  I just show up and he loads them right in the back with his 100 hp John Deere.  I then drive home and dump and repeat.    Can't complain!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

NWP

CCC4

Is there NO "like" button? :D *DanG nice logs there!

Ron Wenrich

Here's the free logs that one outfit gets. 

That was back in September.  Since then, the pile has grown in size by about 400%. All are tree service trees.  The only drawback is you have to look for tramp metal.  That means a lot more handling expense in the logs.  Quality is also an issue.  There are some high value trees, but most of it is lower in grade due to the amount of knots, tree species, and the rate of growth.  There are some nice logs.  The up side is all those logs you see have a purchase price of $0.  It can be done, but a lot of pieces have to come together. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

David-L

I don't know about you guys, but if the metal detector dosen't find metal and the sawyer hits something you can kiss that account away and get verbally abused which makes for a bad day. Been there and back.

Caveman
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

thecfarm

NWP,good luck with your free logs. He should be able to help you. Cost him money to get rid of that stuff.
shinnlinger,those white pine look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Yes they are good looking logs and where the came from they shouldn't be loaded up with metal.  Hope I'm right on that!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shelbycharger400

Don't ask me how I know to ask the following

Is it a wind row or a fence row ,  some wind rows were fence rows
Nice logs 12 to 24 in dia solid and straight red oaks  8ft to 20 ft... burried fence wire   :'(   They were sent to a mill, Didn't get a dime 4 them

And Remember, a sole tree next to an old barn isn't immune!   
2 screws and a nail.. the finishing nail took my cutters off the chain!

NWP

The red oaks should have had metal stain on the butts after they were cut.  Usually an old fence row is easy to identify.

Ron Wenrich

Biggest chunk of metal I hit in an oak log was not blue.  Galvanized metal. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

semologger

biggest chunk my father hit on time was a horse shoe. he didnt cut it in half either. he keep the piece of wood and cut around the shoe about halfway and stained it. was a nice little piece.

WDH

Wonder what a horse was doing in that tree  ??? ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!