iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodshop Work Table

Started by PAFaller, February 03, 2013, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAFaller

Looking for some ideas as to what you guys have for benches and/or tables in your workshop for building your projects. My wife and I have a ranch house with a full basement underneath. Basement is divided in to 3 sections, one of which the previous owner used as a workshop. Anything that wasnt bolted down was auctioned off, so aside from one bench and a pegbooard, and a bunch of shelving that he nailed right into the cement block along the walls there are no work surfaces. The shelves are nice for storage but take up much of the wall space where benches could be built. However, I still have a 12x16 or so space in the middle of the floor that is wide open and sort of dead space. Hoping some of the members here may have some sort of free standing table or cabinets that they use to work on, and maybe I could pick up some tips on what works and/or didnt work before I just start building something. Being as it is in the basement Im certainly not going to be building yachts or anything, just doing work house related and would like to start doing some small woodworking projects as time permits. Thanks in advance, Greg
It ain't easy...

board

go to sanjuancarpentry.com  he made a flip top table ,looks like it would work great. Click on instructables in the banner on right side of screen to watch a video on it.
paul

Tree Feller

Google "Roubo Bench" and pick one of the plans/tutorials for building your own. There will be lots and lots of hits.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

adam82

Woodsmithshop.com has plans for a weekend workbench that is rock solid.

jueston

Phorester

WDH

Mine is very simple, yet functional.  To me, an open stand work bench with a shelf is just a dust and junk collector.  There are two vises, and the storage from the drawers is very nice.  The large drawers open from either side.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 08, 2013, 09:58:48 PM
The large drawers open from either side.

Now ain't that something! Good idea.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Phorester

WDH, a very neat looking bench.  What's the top made of, and what are the dimensions of the bench?

WDH

Top is made out of red oak laminated like a butcher block.  It is 29" x 60".
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodey

We have a Habit for Humanity store that sell material from old building being tore down. I picked up some solid wood doors for $10.00 each and they make great work bench tops.

I used one and made a router station with 3 routers for raised panels.
Used 2 more for table tops on each side of my miter saw.
Picked up some Formica from a guy going out of business and added to the top to make the wood slide better.

I will take some pictures and post.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

T Welsh

PAFaller, I built this table out of Cherry,my shop is small and every machine has casters on the base so I can move around the shop. I boxed the base in for storage of all the small tools as in sanders,routers,biscuit jointers ect. I built it for my exact height and the width is as long as my arm can cross the top. It was modeled after a traditional wood workers bench with a vise at one end.

Its 4x4 stock for the frame with 2" thick top finished in tung oil. It has served me well through the years. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!