iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aromatic Red Cedar

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, December 14, 2012, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

I love working with Aromatic Eastern Red Cedar. Just spent last hour or so planing down some boards i recently purchased from Richard at Cedar USA. To be more exact, I actually purchased 2000 board feet of cedar from him.

I love running Eastern Red Cedar through the planer. Makes the shop smell excellent and each piece of wood is like unwrapping a gift from God. No two pieces are ever the same and the vibrant red and contrasting yellow colors and patterns are endless. Every piece is even more fantastic than the one before. Here are a few pics of some boards i planed and jointed today that are heading for our CNC machine tomorrow to be made into custom routed wood signs.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Tree Feller

I'm also a fan of ERC. Love the color and the smell although after working with it all day in the shop, the smell can get a bit overpowering.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Busy Beaver Lumber

Tree Feller

I quit smoking back in March of this year after smoking for 30 years. A year ago, I would have had a tough time even smelling the cedar, but after quitting smoking my sense of smell increased greatly and I can really appreciate the cedar smell now and love it. Its like having an air freshener in the shop that smells like a forest.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Tree Feller

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on December 14, 2012, 07:44:29 PM
I quit smoking back in March of this year after smoking for 30 years.

Congratulations!  I quit May 19, 2001 also after smoking for 30 years. You are right about the sense of smell returning, too.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Cedarman

I thought all the aroma of cedar had gone away.  I have to be away a few days to get a good whiff of it again.  New fresh sawn logs still smell great.
BBL, so glad that lumber is working out for you.  You creative types do wonders with wood.  All I can do is make it into parallelepipeds.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Busy Beaver Lumber

treefeller

to be honest I dont even miss the smokes. Friends and family can smoke around me and it does not phase me at all.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Thank You Sponsors!