iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watch out for the nubbs

Started by bandmiller2, December 14, 2012, 07:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Almost every time I 've had problems and harry moments its due to nubbs[branch stubbs] on boath circular and bandmill.Take the time to trim them flush.The worst thing is one that will cock the log on the carriage and pinch the circular saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I told the customer yesterday that "if he had taken one step closer to the logs, he would have gotten the limbs sawed off".  He went and got his chainsaw.   ;D

I got whacked by a nubb from this ERC log.  The first cut was just taking nubbs off.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

MM, I see in your profile that you are a traveling man. Does that mean what I think it does?

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

thecfarm

My Father did not want to see any of the limbs sticking out of the log and I mean none. We cut some old white pine and alot of the time there would be a swell around the limb where it grew out of the log. That had to go too. But he grew up loading trucks with a peavey. Old habits are hard to break.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you still had your beard, you'd have been safe.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

"Wood" ah knocked my whiskers off.   :o

drobertson

Ouch! I can't stand the nubbs, really don't like them at all. I have bout 60 cedars ready to be sawn, and there are nubbs! I have the saw ready by the deck, not even going to try. just more time cleaning up the logs.  I hate the nubbs,  they mess up more than cheek bones they are hard to balance, back stops catch them and move them back off the rollers.  Hate nubbs.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

shelbycharger400

...But the customers pay a premium with all the lumps and bumps on the sawn board or mantle! They tell me they haven't seen stuff anywhere with them.
I slow wayy down entering and exiting the knots. Once I was cutting an oak with a big burl, part of burl fell off and wedged  between a bunk and the chain as I passed through , fell to the backside. I was all balled up , couldnt back out couldnt go forward ect. I had to break out a chisel and hammer !  It made some nice slabs tho!

I had a customer ask once what happens when a knot breaks loose, I said they fly!
I planned on putting in plexi glass on either side , Just didn't have time . Im making time now! Thinkin bout stoppin at the saw shop and pickin up a full face shield too.

I see why the pallet mill says flush knots

Dave Shepard

Whenever I get a big knot or bump it seems to catch on a backstop and move the log when I try to lower them. Sometimes it shoves the log down the bed and gets it off center. :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Red Clay Hound

They really foul things up when you're trying to saw logs that push the limits of your mill.  I seem to be attracting those lately! :-\
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Bill Gaiche

MM takes a lick but keeps on ticking. At least it didn't put you in the hospital thank goodness. bg

Jim_Rogers

The old timer, who taught me milling, would have called that log "idiot chopping".....

Some people like it, but they are hard to roll over on the mill, especially when one "nub" is directly in-line with a bed rail....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I turned one and the nubb went between the bed rails and sheared the hydraulic fitting off of the log clamp.   :-\

Chuck White

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 14, 2012, 09:40:21 PM
Whenever I get a big knot or bump it seems to catch on a backstop and move the log when I try to lower them. Sometimes it shoves the log down the bed and gets it off center. :-\

I had that happen too Dave, and sometimes the knot will catch on top of the log stop and the turner won't work, just tries to push the log up and over the log stop!

I'm quick to tell customers "cut the limbs off parallel to the trunk of the tree",
and most times it works.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

No nubbs on my mill, If I have to I will cut them off and charge the customer :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tree Feller

Bumping those knots off should be common sense as well as common courtesy. When I was hauling my logs to a local sawyer, I would have been embarrassed to leave a knot protruding, much less a foot-long limb like on that log MM pictured.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Peter Drouin

and nubbs will break the planks on your trailer too :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I simply will not cut trailor floors with excessive knots.  this is a no win situation for all parties.  Tight knots work out if orientated and the center is center.  Outside knots will crook, and this is this.  Mantels, and the like can and most likely will be finished by hand.  Sealed and done.  Oak, walnut, and some other of the differing types can handle the heavy knots, the more the worse, especially when trying to saw.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jim_Rogers

I delivered this load of "precious cargo" this morning:

This job started last year, sometime.

This landscaper lady brought in this log and wanted it sawn down the middle and hauled to her customer's site.

I did that.

And when I got there they couldn't lift it off the trailer.

So we slide it off.

After a long time she/they (they meaning her help and her) figured out that they couldn't stand these up in a hole to make this arbor thing that they wanted to make for their customer.

So recently they hired a tree service guy to pick these back up and transport them back here to me for me to "re-cut" them. And re-deliver them.

Which I did.

Hopefully they have it right now.

What I fight I had to get them back onto the mill and lined up to slice in half again.
And one of them they wanted in three pieces.

About 25 miles delivery, one way.

When I got there 15 minutes early, she wanted me to wait until the other helper showed up.
I asked one helper that was there, where was the other helper? He told me he couldn't contact him as he has shut his cell phone off.

Well, if he was intending to show up on time, wouldn't he have had his cell phone on?
Why would anyone shut their cell phone off? Unless he was planning on not showing up and didn't want to get called about it.

I didn't wait, I made them unload them to the side of the driveway. As I drove away I was looking for her other "work truck" on the road, on the way back. I never saw it. So I doubt he showed up on time.

Jim Rogers

beenthere

Is this your "trouble" lady? Sounds a bit like the hassle you had another time before this. Hope you don't have another one giving you the same fits.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on December 15, 2012, 07:15:47 PM
Is this your "trouble" lady? Sounds a bit like the hassle you had another time before this. Hope you don't have another one giving you the same fits.

Yes, same trouble lady.

The story does go on.

The lumber yard where her lumber was, since she never picked it up or had them deliver it, just went out of business.
There is another thread about that some where here on the FF.
But anyhow, I emailed her to tell her they were going out of business, and that she'd better get her wood delivered before they close their doors for good.

She asked me today if she would rent my trailer so that they could go up there and get her planned and tongue and grooved lumber, as she has to haul it out of there this week. And the lumber company already sold their trucks so they can't deliver it.

I told her I'd have to think about that idea.
See, my trailer can only haul about 1000 lbs of lumber, and she hauled 5000 lbs up there.
I don't know how much got cut off when the planned and tongue and grooved it. But I would expect that the pile would weigh at least 4000 lbs now.

She asked me if my logger would do it, with his log truck.
I told her I didn't know.
But I do know that he get $100 per hour for his truck. So it's 1 hour up, and if the sold their trucks then they probably sold their forklifts too. So that's at least 1 hour to load by hand, and one hour to drive back, and most likely 1 hour to unload in her driveway if he can even get in her driveway with his 10 wheel log truck.

I think I'm going to suggest she rent a "Uhaul" truck and go get it with her two great helpers and do it herself. I would think it would be cheaper then $400 to hire the log truck.
I'll go online tomorrow morning and see what the local Uhaul gets for a day's rental on a 16' truck.

Jim Rogers

beenthere

I thought by now you would have shaken loose of this one, for good. Maybe you just relish the challenge. ;)

I thought your other thread about the mill closing included info that hinted of this lady.

Is she maybe a relative? Or maybe you just feel she needs a leader dog, and more power to you for lending her a hand. Without you, seems she would be a lost puppy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

She still has a lot to learn, especially about dealing with sawyers.

I don't know when or if I'll ever get rid of her.
And for sure she is no relative of mine.

I just won't pull any punches and charge her full price on everything every time.

I done her to many favors and got nothing in return.

Jim Rogers

dgdrls

MM,

I hope you are well, nasty gash you have there.
Do I recall you were cut or hurt earlier this year???

May have to take up a collection and send you the Ianab style head gear ;)

DGDrls

thecfarm

Magicman was having a hard go at it for a while there. poor guy. If he posted every picture on one post showing his battle scares,the toenails one can be left out this time,my dial up would stall for 5 minutes.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hopefully sharing my mishaps may help someone else to avoid them.  Stuff happens and sometimes it hurts.   :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2012, 08:42:53 AM
Hopefully sharing my mishaps may help someone else to avoid them.     :-\

Nope....usually when I read about a mishap, it's a jinx.....it'll happen to me within the week.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jemclimber

Ouch MM,  that cut on your face looks like it could put an end to your modeling career.   ;D   I'm glad your ok.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!