iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crispy fried muskrat [for real]

Started by chain, December 13, 2012, 07:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

I possess a wild game cookbook that is very high on this recipe: It says a muskrat is a very clean animal that feeds on plants and roots, which gives the meat a sweet flavor. It tends to be soft, though,[the meat] and should be crispy fried.

One muskrat skinned, gutted and cut up.
2 eggs well beaten
1 tbs. milk
2 cups biscuit mix
1/2 cup catsup
3/4 cup cooking oil

Cut muskrat as you would rabbit or squirrel. Use only the meaty pieces. Reserve the bony pieces for soup or gravy. Dry pieces with paper towel, then dip in eggs mixed with milk. Dip in biscuit mix, then in catsup, then dip in biscuit mix. Fry in heated oil until crisp and golden brown! Serves 4-6

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on December 13, 2012, 08:51:11 PM
Okrafarmer would eat it.   :D

I haven't yet.

But I bet it tastes a lot like woodchuck, which I have eaten.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

Okrafarmer,your Yankee way is showing. Not many would say wood chuck in SC.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 13, 2012, 09:43:27 PM
Okrafarmer,your Yankee way is showing. Not many would say wood chuck in SC.  ;D

Groundhog? Whistle-pig? Short-tailed rat?

Anyway, it was a woodchuck, because I ate it while I was in Maine.
It tasted a lot like beef. I would do it again if the need arose or the opportunity was easy. Just an overgrown squirrel with bigger meat.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

thecfarm

I never heard of someone eating woodchuck until I met my wife. wood chuck stew. They don't eat nothing bad,just alot of green stuff. I have them around here. Now we keep the fields mowed down like a lawn,they live in the stone walls and the neighbors woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sbishop

My wife has tried muskrat...she was at this outdoor womens weekend event a few years ago....

Her first words out of mouth when i went pick her up was "I tried beaver this weekend and i liked it".....I almost choked on my chocolate milk.  ::)

Sbishop

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 13, 2012, 09:51:55 PM
I never heard of someone eating woodchuck until I met my wife. wood chuck stew. They don't eat nothing bad,just alot of green stuff. I have them around here.

They're good eating, cfarm, and they're in the "meat" food group, too, so you should be able to eat them. Unlike grits, potatoes, vegetables, etc.

Al_Smith

Muskrat was once served in restaurants  under the name of marsh hare .They like the ground hog are a strict vegatarian and really aren't bad at all .The meat is rather sweet as I recall .

Allegheny Baked Marsh Hare (Muskrat)

Recipe By:   Jacqueline E. Knight   

Amount   Measure   Ingredient   Preparation Method
1      Muskrat   
      Salt   
3   medium   Potatoes   
2   tablespoons   Butter   
      Freshly-ground black pepper   to taste
1   teaspoon   Dried summer savory   
1   cup   Minced celery   
2   large   Carrots   cut into quarters
3   slices   Bacon   

Soak muskrat in water to cover, with 1 tablespoon salt per quart
of water, overnight.  Cook potatoes and mash with butter, 1/2
tablespoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the savory and celery.  Stuff
muskrat with potato stuffing, and sew up or truss.  Rub with 1
teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.  Put on a rack in roaster,
with legs tied to body.  Arrange carrot quarters around the muskrat
and the bacon on top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Pour 2
cups hot water over the meat and cook an additional 35 minutes. 
Remove bacon and cook for 10 minutes more.

This recipe yields 2 to 4 servings.

================================

chain

Seems a 'musk'rat was named that for a reason. My cookbook does not mention removing scent glands from the 'rat as you would from woodchuck, beaver, or raccoon. That baked "marsh hare" sounds great!

Axe Handle Hound

My grandfather used to talk about a neighbor of his when he was a kid who pickled muskrats.  Said he had a big barrel of them in the basement.  Fried muskrat doesn't sound too bad to me, but pickled muskrat I'm not so sure about. 

Okrafarmer

As I said, I've never eaten them, but my dad did used to trap them for the fur. Sometimes he caught them faster than he could skin them. He had a full time job, after all! One time, he caught so many he couldn't deal with them all right then, so he put two or three of them in plastic bags and stuck them in the freezer.  ;) We kids thought that was great, and whenever someone would come to the house, we would get one out to show them. Much to the annoyance of my mom.  :D :D :D

However, she should know we came by that kind of thing naturally. As I may have shared before, my grandfather (her dad) was a game warden up there in Maine. Over the years he had a lot of different cases he dealt with. One time, he caught someone fishing out of season, or without a license, or whatever, and he took their bait (cut up fish) for evidence. He labeled it properly, and took it home and put it in the freezer to take to work and turn in later.

Evidently, my grandmother didn't get the memo. She fried the evidence up for supper!  :o  :-X  >:(

Al_Smith

With a ground hog there's a yellow fat deposit under the front legs you about have to remove and on a muskrat I think it's on the back legs .I've never cooked a "marsh hare " but I have a lot of "whistle pigs " .

On that though in my opinon it doesn't make any diff what it is from deer to rabbit it will probabley taste better the more fat you remove .I've seen those prime high timber Colorado mule deer bucks with an inch of fat over their hind quarters .

isawlogs

All you have hit that on the nose, take the fat off and most any wild game will be more paletible.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!