iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Rabbit in 23yrs!

Started by JohnM, December 13, 2012, 05:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

I know, I know technically it's a 'hare' but we don't have cottontails up here and calling it 'hare hunting' sounds weird. ;) :)

In theory I was going bird hunting but in practice I was taking the dog for a walk.  The dog is no bird nor rabbit dog as he walked right pasted this guy and the rabbit didn't kick up til I walked by.  Then the dog chased him down and just licked at him. ::)   I had never heard a wounded rabbit in real life, those predator calls are spot on!

Any recommendations on how to cook him up?  I stove up the back end some so the dog will get that (he already got the heart and liver), so that doesn't leave much but figure I'll try it.

JM

PS This only my second rabbit. :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Jeff

Well, we would cut him up into pieces and soak him in salt water over night in the refrigerator. We would then par boil him, then take him out and cook him like fries chicken. Hare is tougher than tame rabbit or chicken if you are not used to wild meats. You may prefer to boil him up, bone the meat, then make a soul or perhaps a meat gravy for potatoes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treefarmer87

jeff said it just right, i usually fry squirrel or rabbits :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

thurlow

When I'se a kid, rabbits (cottontails) were PLENTIFUL; don't know if there was even a 'limit'.  Wasn't at all unusual for 2 or 3 hunters to kill 10 or more............every time we went hunting.  Coyotes moved in about 20 or 25 years ago and there are NO more rabbits (might see one every other year).  Same thing with the quail;  there were 2 coveys that raised/lived every year within earshot of our shop and we always killed a few when we went hunting.  (Our dogs were curs and we hunted rabbits,squirrels and quail all at the same time)  Haven't heard one in years;  don't think they exist in the wild around 'here'.  I'd cook the rabbit just like I would a squirrel;  fry 'em if he's young;  stew, dumplings, parboil, etc, if he's old.   8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

drobertson

I'm thinking as far as rabbits go, if there is one, there has to be more!  Clean it, freeze it and go get some more. then follow the above directions. Fried with tators and gravy is just hard to beat.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

treefarmer87

There are plenty of rabbits, but no quail here :'( . i love to quail hunt, i have only been once in my life, and got 1 bird, because the coveys are so scarce.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

thecfarm

We ate alot of rabbit stew growing up. My Father really enjoyed going rabbit hunting with his beagle. We always had one,some real good,some not so good. Than the rabbits just kinda disappeared.  I see very few tracks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

When I as growing up I kept rabbit on the table with my single shot 22 but farming practices has changed so much its hard to find any. I seen one the other day in a brush pile by my shop but would feel bad to shot him hes probably the last one around  ::)
Bill

JohnM

Ok, thanks for the recipe ideas, I think I'll try the frying one.

Thurlow, I found coyote tracks right in the rabbit tracks. :D

Ray, that's strange you don't have many rabbits near you.  I say strange only because we seem to be covered in them the last couple of years.  I know rabbits run in cycles (every 7yrs or something like that) but I'm not sure how 'localized' those cycles are (only a hundred miles or so between us).  We also have loads of partridge(grouse), I flushed 11 while taking a long walk during deer season, in the past if I flushed three it'd be a lot.  And speaking of deer... >:(  Didn't see a single one all season!  Matter-o-fact I didn't see a deer track today, only rabbit, bird and yote. >:(

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

ET

Our gun deer season in Ohio ends this coming Sunday. After that me and my buds gather and do some bunny hunting as well. My theory is that if you don't shoot them, you won't have any. When I moved here in 81 there were no rabbits. There were also no one hunting.  It's not unusual now for us to harvest around 50 each year off my place. There more ways to eat rabbit than you would believe.  Keep shooting!
ET
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Ernie

Easter is the time in New Zealand's south island for Easter bunnies

http://www.odt.co.nz/your-town/alexandra/100341/record-broken-easter-bunny-hunt

It's an annual thing and is very popular.  I haven't noticed an associated recipe book.

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

I have lots of rabbits, a few yotes, see some deer hanging around and lots of moose. ;D

The preacher was a neighbor and hunted with a beagle to. Until one day the rabbit chased the dog, so to speak, and he shot the dog. Man did he feel real bad.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

We have cottontails in abundance mainly because of the amount of cover . In late spring I can sit on my patio sipping a brew and if I'm real still the young ones will get within ten feet of me .

We also have red tail hawks that pick them off .

I haven't hunted in years but it wasn't uncommon years ago to limit out then being four rabbits per day .

Rabbits or at least cotton tails are odd in the fact they will make nests right in the middle of an open field and they don't live in warrens like most hares .Every so often they have young right in my front yard .

SwampDonkey

In the fall while hunting, I've seen folks that like rabbit meet more than me, have a roof top tied down with hares they shot. I don't know what is legal bag limit but a car top of hares is a lot of hares. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Axe Handle Hound

If you build some brushpiles in the woods you'll have rabbits.  I don't know where they come from, but the minute you have a place for them to hide they'll be around.  I try to burn all my brushpiles before winter to keep the little buggers from eating all my saplings during the winter months.  This year my neighbor decided to cut down 100 box elder trees, pile them up 50 feet from my property line, and then head south for the winter....thanks for that. 

thecfarm

I think they kinda disappeared  somewheres around 70-75. He hunted here his whole life. I don't think it from over hunting. My Father would go and not speak of another hunter. We do have deer. Not alot,but I see them quite often. Just saw 6 the other day. The rabbits were here and there was no brush piles. My father hated brush piles in the woods. Our woods is not a great place to get around. He would complain about a brush pile in the way. Cut up the brush small and there is nothing to pile,as he would say.When My Father was growing up his parents owned almost the whole hill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

Ernie, what did they do with 24,000 dead rabbits?

Chuck White

When I was a kid, we'd hunt rabbits (Snow Shoe Hares) from the end of deer season till the middle of March!

We'd usually get 6 or 8 whenever we would go hunting!

We would cook them up the same way Jeff mentioned, making sure to soak them in salt water first!

Now it seems everything is against them, they coyotes moved in, then the various hawks that stay through the winter and the owls!

We usually have a pair that come into our back yard off and on throughout the winter!  They're safe because there are so few of them, we don't hunt them.

When I used to burn firewood, we would take the smaller limb-wood and make a sort of hutch for the rabbits to hide in, and yet the coyotes and foxes couldn't get in!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doctorb

Rabbits and hawks have inverse population numbers, when one increases, the other is decreased.

Axe Handle-  What are you holding up in that picture?  That fish looks as big as you!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ernie

Quote from: Den Socling on December 14, 2012, 10:53:42 AM
Ernie, what did they do with 24,000 dead rabbits?

The vast bulk are processed into pet food with some hunters taking a few home for a feed.  Rabbit pie is really delicious, much like chicken pie.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Den Socling

Yes, rabbit can be delicious. When I was a kid, I hunted rabbits every night after school when they were in season. Then I would give them to my Grandmother and she would cook them. Those were good days!

thurlow

It was illegal, but we used to 'headlight' rabbits, 'cause we liked/needed 'em for food.  When I was about 16, I went hunting one night and killed one in the pasture that was in front of the house.....wasn't 50 yds from the front door.  Shot it with a .22 rifle.  Since I didn't want to have to carry it with me 'til I got back, I walked to the nearest fence and put it on top of a post.  The old headlights we had were pretty pitiful;  when I was through hunting, I came back by to pick it up;  just before I got to where it was, I REALIZED that there was something out there WITH ME and it appeared to be AFTER me.  I swung the headlight all around and couldn't see anything, but could still hear it.  I finally put the light on it;  it was the rabbit that I had KILLED and it was running around in circles.  I was able to catch it;  the .22 had hit it in the top of the skull and had glanced off, just stunning it.  I held it by the backs legs and whacked in across the back of the neck.......as I had done to dozens of others before.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

trapper

I box trap them.  Less messy than shooting them.  I take the hide off, then cut the backstraps off.  Then I cut the legs off.  The entrals and remaining carcess go to the cats.
The backstraps go in one pile to get fried.  The legs go into stew or soup.  I put some apple tree prunings out to keep them well fed until I catch them.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!