iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I've been invited to show off my mill!!!

Started by OlJarhead, December 13, 2012, 04:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Just got invited by the WSU Extension Forester to show off my little mill this summer at a 'land owner field day' he's holding.

He's been holding classes for landowners on forest management and asked if I wanted to come demonstrate the mill!!!

Very exciting for me since I'm just trying to move from milling only for personal use to milling for customers.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Tree Feller

Sounds like a great opportunity. Congratulations. 8)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

hamish

Congratulations!  A great opportunity to saw into one of your dog rests........well at least that what happened to me the first time I showed off my mill!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

JohnM

That's pretty cool, OlJarhead.  Congrats!  Seems like a great way to get your name out.  I only see one problem........it's December! ;) ;D :D  As if winters weren't long enough right?!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

OlJarhead

Well I'm sure I'll make my share of mistakes but I'm VERY excited about the chance to show off the mill.

Of course, I need business BEFORE June but at least it's a chance to possibly get more and after all, I have none now!  (though I have 2 or 3 possibles once the weather improves).

OlJarhead

Quote from: JohnM on December 13, 2012, 05:31:45 PM
That's pretty cool, OlJarhead.  Congrats!  Seems like a great way to get your name out.  I only see one problem........it's December! ;) ;D :D  As if winters weren't long enough right?!

JM

You know it!  But then it gives me time to get some of the issues, I'm sure I'll have, with the mill sorted out.  Specially since the LT10 will be on a trailer.

It also gives me lots of time to get it spiffed up too ;)  Figure I can iron out the kinks before then and then get it sprayed nicely before hauling it over to the show with a log on it.

Guess that would count as a Woodmizer demo to  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That's what its all about OJ. Exposure, shaking hands, planting that seed and did I mention, Exposure.  :)

Have ya got any business cards?

You'll do very well, I'm sure.

Get some pics if you can.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

Great  opportunity oljarhead now go show then what you got.
al glenn

Chuck White

Looks like someone's helping you open the doors of opportunity.

If you don't have business cards, might be a good idea to have a poster made with your name and phone number on it!

Who knows what this exposure will generate!

Good luck to you!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OlJarhead

Thanks all!  and yes I JUST had cards made up via Vistaprint.  Just a basic (free) card that I can give out with numbers and email on it.

I'm liking the idea of putting a calendar or log scale on the back in the future too so who knows.

drobertson

Fantastic man, bring a few extra blades of course, I know you will, cant hooks, and a few extra stickers just in case. maybe even some extra 4X4's for stacking on. sounds like fun.  This is what you have been waiting on!  Let em' rip brother!   have fun! 8)  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

That sounds good. About how many will attend?  A weekend event? Rope an area off,you don't want others too help and be in the way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That is wonderful news.  You just never know when a door will be opened.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Quote from: drobertson on December 13, 2012, 07:20:54 PM
Fantastic man, bring a few extra blades of course, I know you will, cant hooks, and a few extra stickers just in case. maybe even some extra 4X4's for stacking on. sounds like fun.  This is what you have been waiting on!  Let em' rip brother!   have fun! 8)  david

Suppose you're right!  Hadn't even considered that but yes, good idea!  Better be prepared!  Thanks

OlJarhead

TheCFarm-- not sure yet more then the invite and confirmation.  Here is what I was sent:

Quotewe will be holding a landowner field day in Okanogan County on June 22.  If you'd like to demonstrate your sawmill, it might be a good way to drum up some business.

That was in response to my asking to be listed on their site and then

QuoteI'm happy you will show off your service/ product at the Eastern Washington Forest Owners Field Day.

I'll have to do some research to see who will be there and quite possibly some of the other portable guys may come by.

I've heard they're events are well attended but I know nothing really...just starting to find out stuff.

OlJarhead

A little research shows that these events are major affairs that include stuff like the following:

QuoteParticipants can choose from a variety of classes and activities regarding:

forest health
    wildlife habitat
    weed control
    wildfire protection
    timber and non-timber forest products
    using global positioning systems
    chainsaw safety and maintenance
    forestland security and safety

Presenters will be available to answer specific property questions. Youth activities will be available all day.

They charge for the event and appear to hold them all over the state.

Leigh Family Farm

Congrats on the opportunity! When showing off the mill, make sure to have activities people can join in on, like log loading and off bearing. You'll keep the crowd paying attention longer which will give you more time to tell about your business. Pass sample boards around of the different types of wood you've sawn as you explain the sawmill. Good luck and keep us posted.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

OlJarhead

Good idea thanks!

I guess I might have to bring a few logs along just so I can mill up something on site...of course that will mean I'll need a stout trailer to do so but perhaps I can arrange something.

Almost makes me think it would be worth having a half dozen logs there for the weekend?  Thoughts?

Figured I'd bring along some Blue Stained Pine I've milled up for our cabin -- I love the stuff -- and some Knotty Pine paneling I've done as well as just some standard rough cut dimensional stuff...maybe even some planed boards too.

OlJarhead

I'm going to have to start a list of things to bring as I just realized I'll need a box of disposable earplugs / hearing protection as well as safety glasses if I'm to have folks around when the mill is running....

Have to think of those and other safety concerns

dgdrls

Looks like the trailer will come in handy,  Congratulations. ;)

DGDrls

drobertson

Might just mention to bring some 8' logs and a few 12' logs,  nothing more impressive than a whack of 2X's coming off a log, and some pretty siding is always a plus, have a cheat sheet with your numbers on them so you can go to the numbers a lil quicker.  You might have a drawing(raffle) for the lumber to support the troups or another group that needs support, and maybe a cull log that is a pain, just to show someone that might have some for you to cut that they just are'nt worth the effort ;D  best wishes,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

swampbuggy

That's awesome and good luck. Try and find those logs that are in perfect sawmill shape, no crooks, 2 deg. taper. All the things that will make you look good. Dan
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

OlJarhead

Thinking bringing logs is a must now...will have to sort that but I doubt it will be too tough.  Just have to have a second trailer as the mill should haul one but to get 3 or 4 out there will take a flatbed and a way to get them off...though a few wedges cut to fit and a cant hook should do it ;)

ayerwood

Sounds like a great opportunity.  WSU extension is a nice program.  And prepare for snow! Especially if you are going over the pass...

OlJarhead

Quote from: ayerwood on December 13, 2012, 11:06:44 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity.  WSU extension is a nice program.  And prepare for snow! Especially if you are going over the pass...

Nah, it's in June :)  and I'm an eastsider ;)  But thanks for the note and it's good to hear their program is a good one.  I've heard that from a few folks actually (land owners like us who have been building cabins).

Peter Drouin

Hi Oljarhead
I do that all most evey year . for UNH of NH and the timbers assoc.its a lot of fun , just know your facts, becouse you will be ask a 1000  question on wood and prices, and what wood is good for what. and they will get you logs,[well they did for me] and sometimes there not that good :D but you do the best you can,and you might be dem. in front of 100 people :D so speak loud, for the hard of hearing  :D so you dont hear what, what was that, say that again :D then you have a guy thats 100 years old come up and ask stuff just to see if you know what your saying is true, becouse hes ben cutting logs for 75 years :D but if you listen you will get tips from him, they like to share info, just like the FF
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

When I have done those shows, I saw a little and talk a lot.  4 logs lasted all day.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooney

You're in the Pro Sawyer Network right? If so, take your pad of "Demonstration Cards" with you, and at some point, maybe at the beginning of the demo, let people know that if they're interested in learning more, just to fill out a card and leave it with you. That way you can worry about the demo, while they're filling out a card.

If we get the cards back, then we will put them in the system. No card, no credit!  ;)

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ol

Excellent opportunity for you. Glad it came your way.

From a safety and liability standpoint, I may suggest the following:

1. Make sure you have insurance, Just in case you have any sort of mishap. Does not have to be a catastrophic event for someone to look to enhance their financial position at your expense in this society any more. I have a buddy that does chainsaw carving. When he was doing a demo at a fair, I chunk of wood about the size of a hockey puck shot of the saw, skipped under the mesh screen he used as protection for the viewers, and struck a fellow in the ankle. Did not even draw blood of make a bruise. First thing the guy did was grab his business card and tell him he would be hearing from his lawyer, which fortunately he never did, but there are a lot of law suit happy people are out there.

2. A good barrier between the spectators and your saw, plus a helper to police the keep out zone. Does not take long for a poorly supervised child to find his way into a location he or she should not be at.

3. Prevent people from viewing from the operator side of the LT-10 just in case something comes shooting out of the chute that could harm them, especially if a blade snaps and comes out the chute
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

OlJarhead

Great advice all!  Thanks and thanks!

Mooney:  I've applied only recently so with luck I'll be long since set and ready when the time comes.

Busy:  Great advice, thanks! 

I'm a LOUD old Marine (OK not so old but when I was in the Corps I was older then most, hence the name 'Old Jarhead') and can speak over most things and crowds ;)  Usually I'm asked to be quiet! lol so running the mill is a natural place for me ;)  But I like the idea of the barriers etc and will ask the forester if I need to bring logs or if he will have some.

Leigh Family Farm

Since you have some time before the demo, talk to WSU about procurring some logs for you. If they can't, then bring the logs the weekend before and stage them how you want them. Arrive early so you can get set up properly and don't start before your scheduled time because you might draw people away from other demos.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

OlJarhead

One thing I have to say is that I look forward to those 'old guys' coming around because frankly I'm a real rookie!  Oh sure I've framed houses and condo's etc and I've milled lumber for myself and turned it into beautiful interior paneling and trim as well as made dimensional lumber and used it to build things but when it comes to trees and wood I have MUCH to learn and when it comes to milling I have TONS more to learn.

I'm a fast learner because I absorb what I read, hear and see, but I have many years and many board feet of lumber to produce before I even come close to the majority of you!

So thanks for all of the advice!  I need it! lol

Chuck White

Do a little sawing, then shut it down for a while and ask the audience for questions, then turn the log and saw some more.

If you just saw the log from start to finish, you'll lose part of the audience.

The key is:  Keep them interested!

Good luck and have fun!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Can you go to some demos before doing yours? that way you can see what to do and maybe what not to do. I have seen TVs at some demos,showing sawing steady.
As soon as others hear you swing,they will come. I know I do when I am at a show,if I can hear it above the other equipment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!