iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sciatica pain

Started by drobertson, December 13, 2012, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

You probably have what is often called "Junctional Disease".  This is the term applying to the increased motion that takes place adjacent to a fusion of the spine.  In your case you have the vertebrae fused from L4 - S1.  The first "open" segment above the fusion is your L3 - L4 segment.  It's had to take significantly more stress since your 1998 fusions because the other segments below it down to your pelvis are unable to move.  Ideally, each link in a chain moves with respect to the next.  Rather, in your case, you have three fused links (two fused segments), placing much more motion and stress on the segment next to the fusion.  These can eventually wear out and "bang", here you go again.  So the degeneration takes place at the "Junction" between the mobile and the fused vertebrae of the spine. 

Let us know what the doc says.   
Good luck, Red.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

Sorry to hear this, red.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

A bad back is just about like bad feet. Can't get much done with either if they hurt.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red

I dont think I have been "Pain Free" since 1998 .  You learn to live with it and thankful it is not worse.  Last year the Dr told me to tough it out.  The meds have not helped with pain since Sat and I am walking with a cane. I am 5 ft 8 about
190 so I can loose a few pounds .  I am in good spirits . . Not my first Rodeo.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SPIKER

Quote from: red on July 21, 2014, 04:25:46 AM
... Last year the Dr told me to tough it out.  The meds have not helped with pain...

Both things the doc s kept telling me too, take some pain meds and deal with it,  >:(

Now I have pretty much ever lasting pain/nerve damage because it went uncorrected for so long.   the surgeon said Why did ya wait to come get it fixed? ::) ::)   Well ghee the pain management docs said take pain killers and deal with it for a decade+ so you tell me doc>? :-\

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Raider Bill

Try an inversion table. Couple times a day for no more than 12 minutes at a 120 degree angle. That's 3-4 chiropractors visits cost depending...
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

red

Dr wants me in physical therapy before new MRI.   I may pay out of pocket for MRI.  first injury/surgery was workers comp.  that surgon does not take my insurance but
he will take $350 

red

Rollercoaster ride . . Walking short distances left leg very weak . . But today we go to probate court for my Fathers estate . . My only brother is the Executor he was court ordered to return $101,000 in June . . That money was returned yesterday today he will be removed and a 3rd party wiil take over . . No stress at all . . Kind of a toss up which is more painfull.

Deese

Sorry to hear about that Red. Hopefully things will begin to improve for ya...

I posted in the "Full Members Section" yesterday about my back issue and was directed towards this thread.
I just finished reading it from top to bottom and didn't realize so many folks on here have back trouble.
This is all very new to me and just trying to prepare myself for whatever may be in my future.

Got an epidural shot in lower back this AM and feel somewhat better already. Doc said it will take a few days before we will really know how affective the medicine is on my back...
Gonna try to "lay low" this weekend...

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

luvmexfood

Bad backs/back neck pain is pretty common here in amoung the coalminers. Not saying their job is any worse than logging.

But, crawling around for 8 hours in low coal, 40 inches, and not being able to stand and stretch is hard on you. But so is most any other physical labor.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

red

Nothing happened in court judge gave my brother 45 days to produce documents or else . . . When I left court house I bought a coaster bike at walmart $88   I figured everytine I have been to physical therapy they make you ride the stationary bike for 15 minutes. . . Maybe get an inversion table this weekend . . . Cant imagine this pain in the winter with snow and ice

red

Of course my stomach is a mess . . Been taking probiatics and activia yogurt with bland diet

luvmexfood

Quote from: red on August 02, 2014, 03:47:11 AM
Of course my stomach is a mess . . Been taking probiatics and activia yogurt with bland diet

If your having the back door trots have read that kraut, older the better, is good too. The bacteria in it is supposed to help your intestines.

You can tell if your getting better by using the wire test. If you can poop through a screen wire it's pretty bad but when you move up to rat wire your getting better and finaly chicken wire you are pretty much healed.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

drobertson

I heard a story, true one, that there are now stints that go in the buttocks that can relieve sciatic nerve pain, the only issue I have with this is if its' in the spine, caused by arthritis, how could they work?  been having more pain after over a year out here, mainly in the mornings, but flare up happen after time on the tractor.  Only felt in the mornings for the most part.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Deese

Well, I got the epidural shot the other day and felt great for about 2 days. Now the left side of my shin and back of my calf is starting to "tingle" and go numb from time to time...
GREAT  electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley
Cooks AE4P Edger

BradMarks

Deese: Your temporary relief that you experienced is about all that shot could do for you, unfortunately.  And my doc warned against shots of whiskey to relieve the pain!  Can't remember, did you have a MRI already?

Deese

QuoteCan't remember, did you have a MRI already?

Yes Sir I did the MRI about a week or two ago and you can easily see the disc pushing out much further than the rest...
Cooks AE4P Edger

BradMarks

Well the normal surgical procedure as explained to me, was they go in there and shave(cut) back the disc to be "inside the edge" of the vertebrae. Then the scar tissue formed when healing fills it out and becomes part of your "new disc".  I know it's a pretty simple explanation, but then I'm not the doctor. 

Deese

Quote from: BradMarks on August 04, 2014, 06:19:28 PM
Well the normal surgical procedure as explained to me, was they go in there and shave(cut) back the disc to be "inside the edge" of the vertebrae. Then the scar tissue formed when healing fills it out and becomes part of your "new disc".  I know it's a pretty simple explanation, but then I'm not the doctor. 

Yes that's basically how the doc described it to me as well...
I've gotta get it done, but I'm trying to wait until things slow down a bit here at work...August is our busiest time of year and I absolutely must wait.
Cooks AE4P Edger

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Deese on August 04, 2014, 03:03:23 PM
Well, I got the epidural shot the other day and felt great for about 2 days. Now the left side of my shin and back of my calf is starting to "tingle" and go numb from time to time...
Deese, pay close attention ... that's how mine started (except right leg) -- numbness and tingling.  Then one day the doc told me to walk on my heels, and my foot wouldn't come up.  As I understand it, that bulging disc is aggravating the nerves down to your leg, and if it gets worse then some of your leg functions could be affected.  Not sayin' that you need to do something now, just to pay attention that things don't get worse, in which case you may need to do something quick. 
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Deese

QuoteDeese, pay close attention ... that's how mine started (except right leg) -- numbness and tingling.  Then one day the doc told me to walk on my heels, and my foot wouldn't come up.  As I understand it, that bulging disc is aggravating the nerves down to your leg, and if it gets worse then some of your leg functions could be affected.  Not sayin' that you need to do something now, just to pay attention that things don't get worse, in which case you may need to do something quick. 

Thanks for the input SawyerBrown. My leg was hurting so bad it woke me up at 4:30 this morning.  I'll "keep an eye" on the numbness and will definitely have to get something done asap if it's progressing...

I've got 2 weeks vacation left, and we get 2 weeks paid time off for Christmas. So, my initial goal was to wait until around Thanksgiving to get the surgery and return to work in January. But at this point I dont think I can wait that long...
Cooks AE4P Edger

MikeZ

Deese: You are way too young to have to battle this now. Probably should look into having it fixed. I've had 13 epidurals over last 11 years. Some worked, some did'nt. Pain management Dr. told me it is not an exact science. Hot shooting pain down my right leg into my calf constantly. Finaly had micro surgurey(discectomy-laminectomy) on L4-L5 on right side. 3 1/2 hours on table and pain was gone. Don't want to screw that sciatic nerve up beyond repair. Good luck,  Mike
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Deese

Quote from: MikeZ on August 06, 2014, 11:14:13 PM
Deese: You are way too young to have to battle this now. Probably should look into having it fixed. I've had 13 epidurals over last 11 years. Some worked, some did'nt. Pain management Dr. told me it is not an exact science. Hot shooting pain down my right leg into my calf constantly. Finaly had micro surgurey(discectomy-laminectomy) on L4-L5 on right side. 3 1/2 hours on table and pain was gone. Don't want to screw that sciatic nerve up beyond repair. Good luck,  Mike

I know. Thanks Mike. I will have to go ahead and get it done if it continues to get worse. I pray that I can wait until the "slow season" here at the office. It would NOT be good for me to miss work right now.
Cooks AE4P Edger

SPIKER

Yesterday I was cleaning up and taking/piling up scrap metal to haul off, I had half dozen old left over aluminum framed screens and windows.   These I tore down and boxed up with about 30 lbs of other aluminum.   I hopped off tractor and caught my right outside calf on one of the aluminum 45 degree screen parts. ::)  Needless to say having little to know feeling in the leg is not always a BAD thing, looked down to see what had my pants caught, only I was in shorts  :o   had drove it about 1/2" into my leg and didn't realize it much.   scabbed over today so having a bad back is not all bad when you tear up some other part & can;t feel it 8) :( :( ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

drobertson

Mercy sakes!  I would say ouch!  I guess no feeling has it's advantages, but, what a way to find out,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!