iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill hauling

Started by Dudaks, December 13, 2012, 07:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 19, 2012, 07:08:59 PM
Gave myself an early Christmas present. I just bought an 88' F250 4x4 with an 8' flatbed. Really nice condition and only 92k miles. Towing the mill with the Cherokee has caused too much gray hair/ hair loss. Mother nature really doesn't need any help there.......Ho Ho Ho!!!   :)

Nice going there Jack!

Quote from: m wood on December 19, 2012, 08:31:41 PM
my 97 4x4 dakota wouldnt handle much pulling even with the 318...but i was able to sell it when...wait for it...the next door high school senior raffled off his 98 ram 4x4 with plow (cuz he couldnt get 'er sold b4 headin to college).  My father-in-law won it with a $20 ticket at the grad party and gave it to me cuz HE had just bought a 2010 silverado with a brand new plow for himself. Woohoo! The first inlaws that i have ever loved so much, and i've had 3 sets now. p.s.: love 'em NOT just because of the new truck!

Why didn't you let others know about this raffle?! I would've bought a ticket!  :)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Delawhere Jack

Meet Ole Hee Haul. 88' F250, 351 V8, 4x4, 4.10 rear, 3 speed C6 trans, dual tanks (one works....), and all the most popular Hee-Haw add-ons.  ;D

The cab is incredibly good for the age. Cab corners are solid and original. Virtually rust free.

Still working up plans for a removable tool box that will sit against the headboard. I'd love to see pics of how you other guys with flatbeds carry your gear.

customsawyer

I use a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 diesel. I know that some guys don't like to use a newer truck as the customer thinks expensive. I would rather my customer see me pull up on time. IMHO.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

This is how I moved mine the last time. ;D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: customsawyer on December 22, 2012, 04:28:26 PM
I use a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 diesel. I know that some guys don't like to use a newer truck as the customer thinks expensive. I would rather my customer see me pull up on time. IMHO.

Are you pulling two trailers with the 350, CustomSawyer?

customsawyer

Yes. It is the best way to get the tractor and mill both to the job site.  ;D It is with in the law as long as the first trailer is a goose neck or fifth wheel.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

haywire woodlot

Hey Jake, my cousin's got one of those new 6.7l fords, after taking a ride in it, don't doubt yours could pull that tandem trailer setup without even breaking a sweat!  :)
Dave

jackpine

I have hauled my mill since it was new 12 years with a 1996 gmc 1500 ext cab  4x4. 4.3 v6. It does struggle at times on hills to maintain speed and I do not pull it on the interstate unless I have to. It was what I had at the time I bought the mill and I could not see replacing the truck because of the extra expense. I have a better truck to pull the mill but still use the gmc  because the wife will not complain about mud or sctaches on it. ;D

:christmas:

shelby78

There are a couple things that have been said that i will add a plus one to. Only get 4x4. Diesels are alot heavier and will sink faster. You can have, nice/family/and not ruin it as my truck is my only vehicle and it does that exact job.  Lots of power helps but probly isn't needed all the time. A newer truck will get alot better mileage than a older truck. Case in point... My last truck was a 98 f250 4x4 with 80000 miles and got 13mpg loaded or not. It made a huge 215hp.. My new 2011 ram with 400hp gets 22 mpg not towing.

To me no matter what you get the single most important factor (other than 4x4) is good tires! I run only goodyear duratracs and they are a amazing tire that is also snow rated.

You can see from the pic i don't baby my truck.

rmack

After putting about 150,000 miles on a cummins diesel, I will never go back to gasoline. I drive it year round including northern Alberta (-40*) as long as it is plugged in at colder than -28*C nothing to worry about. The cabin stays warm at -40*C and cool at +40*C. Have to keep in mind I do my own wrenching. I have since put goodyear duratracs on it, very aggressive 10 ply in a large size. they work good and I doubt most people will realize how expensive they are. It probably doesn't matter with all that shiny paint on the mill anyways.  :christmas:

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

UN Hooker

rmack
   Your right on with the Cummins. That's a good lookin 1st. Generation. I've got almost 500K on one of my Cummins.     UN

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Leigh Family Farm

CustomSawyer, I am going to have to look into that law. That would solve a few issues with having proper equipment on site.

customsawyer

Just don't try to back up very far. Don't ask how I know. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Customsawyer,that would turn my head. Might be illegal in Maine?? I have never seen that done around here. Good thing that don't run on gas, when you go to fill it up would take one whole lane.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rmack

Quote from: UN Hooker on December 24, 2012, 09:22:39 PM
rmack
   Your right on with the Cummins. That's a good lookin 1st. Generation. I've got almost 500K on one of my Cummins.     UN

Thank you, I have noticed an old F350 dually 4x4 crewcab for sale nearby with a bad motor. I just happen to have a twin to that white one with the body wrote off  (not me)  it has a good motor in it and I am going to need the white one for a welding rig... so we'll have to see what happens  ;)

CustomSawyer; that's a nice setup, too bad those are definitely illegal in BC. They do allow 2 trailers but have a high GVW minimum.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

swampbuggy

My Toyota has 248000 miles on it. Pulls my mill very nicely. On the interstate i try to park behind a big rig to save on gas. The Norwood has a 4 ft. extension on it so it is a little long. If I upgrade to a bigger mill I will have to upgrade the truck, so I am happy right where I'm at.. for now! Going north in the summer and south in the winter adds a few miles to the odo.  ;D ;D

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

dboyt

Quote from: captain_crunch on December 18, 2012, 10:48:25 PM
dboyt
Does this look familaure to you

Captain Crunch, I had to look at the license plate to see the difference between the trucks.  My wife just saw your photo and commented that it was a nice picture of "Scotty" (the name of my truck, since it's a Scottsdale-- and appropriate, since it has beamed me out of a few sticky situations).  Amazing to think that it is now a "classic".  One of these days, I'm going to put in a new windshield & give the ol' boy a paint job.  Thanks for posting!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

haywire woodlot

I pull my LT 40HD with my 03' F350, it has a 6.0L diesel that has been debugged, erg delete, etc. I'm pretty happy with it, pulls the mill easily, has 4x4 and a forestry style steel box insert.

I use my '99 F550 for delivering lumber and firewood, it also has a 12yard roll off bin that is handy for tossing sawmill waste directly into for sawing off site.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!