iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill hauling

Started by Dudaks, December 13, 2012, 07:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudaks

I have had my mill since April and have not had to move it much since my purchase. What  kind/size vehicle do any of you recommend to haul a mill on a regular basis. My 5 speed V6 Toyota really struggled to move the mill yesterday and so I am in the market for a used truck to haul my mill.  Just want an idea of what you have: engine size/ horsepower, 4 wheel or 2 wheel drive, automatic or stick. Thanks for your help.

terrifictimbersllc

Ford F-350 4WD, 7.3 L diesel. 6 spd manual trans.  About 16 mpg towing the mill.  Hardly know it is back there.  4WD very important in my opinion for portable milling.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Gasawyer

I tow with 1ton 4wd trucks( 1 diesel dodge and a 454 powered K-30) and a 4wd diesel suburban. When working with the mill 4wd is very helpful and a winch is a great aid. All of my tons,s and suburban are auto. They work fine, but I also run temp gauges on the trans to monitor what's going on(you might have to add external cooler on an auto). Manual trans isn,t too much of a disadvantage except when dealing with difficult terrain. I run autos because that's what the trucks had.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Magicman

For me, 4X4 and locking/limited slip differential is an absolute necessity.  I pulled very satisfactorily with the Toyota Tundra.  Absolutely no problems whatever.

I how have a Ford F250, but only because it needed to double and haul my truck camper.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I do mobile custom sawing and get into some places that make one wonder what I'm doing here.  Therefore, 4WD is one of the prerequisites for me since a lot of my driving is off road!

I started out with a 1999 Dodge 1500 reg. cab 4WD Auto and had no problems what so ever!

I traded about 3 years ago and now drive a 2003 Chev 1500 ext. cab 4WD limited slip diff. Auto and still have not had a problem!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdonovan

milling jobs are rarely in nice flat, dry paved areas, so 4WD is a requirement in my book.

I'm pulling with a F250 diesel 4x4

AdamT

Have to agree, 4 wheel drive is a must!

Pull mine with an 04 dodge cummins 6 speed, but I think a good half ton will do just fine.
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

dboyt

'87 4wd flatbed Chevy with a 350 manual transmission.  Flatbed gives you more options for hauling logs and lumber.  Two factors are the weight of the portable sawmill, and whether it has electric brakes.  There have been a number of times when I was more concerned about stopping than I was starting!  If the mill has elec brakes, hook 'em up!  Also you want a heavy-duty towing package and good shocks & suspension.

Another suggestion, don't get something all nice and shiny that you don't want to get scratched up.  Besides, you don't want to look too prosperous, or customers will think you're charging them too much!

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Brucer

I hauled both my mills around with a 1980 half-ton chevy diesel. 2WD, automatic transmission. The truck was only rated to pull 2000 pounds, versus 3500 pounds for the bigger mill. So I put an auxilliary cooler on the transmission and that worked fine. The law here also requires that any trailer that weighs more than half the truck weight has to have electric brakes.

I always got through winter conditions in that truck by bolting 9 concrete blocks into a steel frame at the very back of the box. That was about 400 extra pounds of weight located well behind the wheels. The whole thing was bolted through the box and into the truck frame.

It was very slow going up some of the steep mountain grades around here and I did have to turn down a few jobs in difficult locations. But that truck got me and the mill around just fine.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Dave VH

if you can afford the upfront cost of a diesel, and use your truck at all, you will not regret it.  I have a 1/2 ton tahoe, and a 2500 duramax.  I can tow 5k - 6k lbs and still beat my tahoe in the fuel economy department. (15 - 16 mpg)  I can get close to 20mpg empty.  Not to mention that the diesel should outlive the gasser, some would say by double.  My last truck was a 1/2 ton with a 350, great truck.  I will never again own anything but a diesel for me again.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Delawhere Jack

4WD is a must. I pull an LT40 with a Jeep Cherokee. 4.0L six, it is underpowered to say the least. Going to an auction tomorrow with a couple 3/4 ton 4WD pickups. There's a friend of the family junk yard owner who has a 94 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 diesel with only 42k miles. It was owned by a local Fire Dept. and only used for brush fires. BEAUTIFUL condition. Sadly, he knows what it's worth.... :(

I'm with Boyt, nothing too purty.

EZ

My every day driving 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy. Sometimes I think I could pull 3 or 4 mills at the same time. 16 MPG suits me just fine for a 1988.  :)

drobertson

never heard of a chevy 4X4 getting over 12 mpg.  I would be happy too!  this being said a 4X4 would be the choice for sure in my opinion.  Lots of fields, soft ground, hills and rocks to get around in.  And a flat bed for sure if possible.  there is always something to haul.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

delvis

My 14 year old 98 Chevy half ton with a 350 tows our LT40 hydraulic easy enough.  I know it's there but not so much that it really slows me down.  4 wheel drive is a must unless you know you're never going to need it.  My truck has a stock 350 in it with 3:73 rear gears and a limited slip rear diff.  When my father tows  the mill with his Duramax you honestly wouldn't even know it was back there except to smooth out the rear end ride a tad on the 3/4 ton truck.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

delvis

Quote from: drobertson on December 13, 2012, 08:14:09 PM
never heard of a chevy 4X4 getting over 12 mpg.  I would be happy too!  this being said a 4X4 would be the choice for sure in my opinion.  Lots of fields, soft ground, hills and rocks to get around in.  And a flat bed for sure if possible.  there is always something to haul.    david
You haven't been around many Chevy 4x4's if you've never heard of one getting over 12mpg!  My 14 year old 1/2 ton will do that towing the mill. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

drobertson

We  must be careful on bragging on the dura-max, less the ram boys start in on us.  I have seen to many of the ram's do there stuff. Pretty bad news for anything that needs pulling.  Not knocking the F series of course, but if I had my druthers, it would be a Ram, drove one the other day, just incredable power.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Well that is a Hallelluaa! for sure man! I have had chevy's all my life, 350's, 400's and the good ole 327's  and they ran great, but 12 was with a tail wind at best, just saying, not doubting anyone's word, though it sounded like it, sorry bout that, love the chevy, but they love the petro too!

dgdrls

I'm with dboyt,  flatbed option and use the trailer brakes!!
Be honest with how much and where you will move it,
once on the road it will pull easy however,
remember support equipment too.

Modern full size 1/2 ton with a v-8 will work fine,   
Modern 3/4 ton Diesel,  even better.
4x4 if you think you need it.

DGDrls

thecfarm

I have no idea about what size,but I would get 4WD no matter what. Try backing up hill on wet grass with a mill,while turning at the same time with a 2wd.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Leigh Family Farm

This is not meant for a Dodge vs. Chevy vs. Ford competition. I'm looking to tow a WM LT40HD/TK 1600 type sawmill. The truck needs to have four doors because it will double as MY family vehicle as the wife has a small sedan. Flatbed would be nice but since its also my family vehicle, I can't justify it. All of the trucks would be 4WD and have 4 doors.

Would these models work for towing these mills?
What problems arose with your truck? How did you fix these problems?
What did you wish you had on the truck (wide mirrors, type of hitch, etc.)?
On some of these models, the diesel engine really kicks up the price, so is it really worth it?
Spray in or drop in bed liner?

Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab 5.7L V8 Short bed
Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 6.1L V8 Short bed
GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab 5.3L V8 Short bed
Chevy Silverado 1500 CrewCab 5.3L V8 Short bed

Thanks guys!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

drobertson

Hey Kilgrosh, not trying to make anything man, just having fun, any of the ones you listed will be fine, as mentioned, wet grass, on a hill, soft soil, and a load causes problems for any truck and then there is the snow factor! even at 5 miles per gallon if you are'nt stuck is a good thing,  good luck man, you will find the one!

NWP

I'm sure there are plenty of people that will argue that diesel is the way to go.  I had a 1998 Dodge Cummins for 12 years.  I figured out there is pretty much no way you'll ever get your money's worth out of the diesel.  I'll take a few less MPGs and have a gas motor.  Cheaper maintenance, fuel less per gallon, and cheaper repairs on a gas motor.  I now have 2 Chevrolet trucks with the 8.1 gas engine and Allison transmission.  They don't get very good mileage but I'm glad I'm not living the diesel lie anymore.  They consistently pull trailers 12,000-14,000 lbs loaded with no problems.  The 8.1 is no longer an option.  I think they have the 6.0 as the only gas in the 3/4 and 1 tons.  Having said all that, I'd stick with gas.  Just MHO.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

OlJarhead

How much does the LT40 weigh?  I'm surprised by all of the heavy trucks since I've towed an offroad trailer (Evo1) with my XJ that weighed in loaded up at about 3000lbs.  The XJ (Cherokee) was rated at 5000lbs but I'd not try that frankly as the Evo was heavy enough.

Admittedly the XJ did a much better job of it with the 4.10's, headers and all kinds of other mods but it still did it well.

For my little mill I'm planning on using my F1504x4 but may use the XJ for more remote locations as it's much better offroad.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: thecfarm on December 13, 2012, 09:39:20 PM
Try backing up hill on wet grass with a mill,....
I was just going to type this myself, and I have a 4WD F-350. Most notable humiliation being pulled out of a customer's yard by customer with 1/2 ton chevy after mucking it all up.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 13, 2012, 10:58:59 PM
How much does the LT40 weigh?

Depending on engine and options, the LT40/TK 1600 weight around 4,000-5,000 lbs. I would want a truck that can pull at least 5,000 lbs comfortably because if I'm pulling the mill that means I have another 500 lbs of gear (chainsaws, log arch, gas, etc.) in the truck bed.

Quote from: NWP on December 13, 2012, 10:45:02 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of people that will argue that diesel is the way to go.  I had a 1998 Dodge Cummins for 12 years.  I figured out there is pretty much no way you'll ever get your money's worth out of the diesel.  I'll take a few less MPGs and have a gas motor.  Cheaper maintenance, fuel less per gallon, and cheaper repairs on a gas motor....

Thanks for the info. Any options I should look for in the truck? Whats a 7-point towing harness?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!