iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill hauling

Started by Dudaks, December 13, 2012, 07:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudaks

I have had my mill since April and have not had to move it much since my purchase. What  kind/size vehicle do any of you recommend to haul a mill on a regular basis. My 5 speed V6 Toyota really struggled to move the mill yesterday and so I am in the market for a used truck to haul my mill.  Just want an idea of what you have: engine size/ horsepower, 4 wheel or 2 wheel drive, automatic or stick. Thanks for your help.

terrifictimbersllc

Ford F-350 4WD, 7.3 L diesel. 6 spd manual trans.  About 16 mpg towing the mill.  Hardly know it is back there.  4WD very important in my opinion for portable milling.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Gasawyer

I tow with 1ton 4wd trucks( 1 diesel dodge and a 454 powered K-30) and a 4wd diesel suburban. When working with the mill 4wd is very helpful and a winch is a great aid. All of my tons,s and suburban are auto. They work fine, but I also run temp gauges on the trans to monitor what's going on(you might have to add external cooler on an auto). Manual trans isn,t too much of a disadvantage except when dealing with difficult terrain. I run autos because that's what the trucks had.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Magicman

For me, 4X4 and locking/limited slip differential is an absolute necessity.  I pulled very satisfactorily with the Toyota Tundra.  Absolutely no problems whatever.

I how have a Ford F250, but only because it needed to double and haul my truck camper.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I do mobile custom sawing and get into some places that make one wonder what I'm doing here.  Therefore, 4WD is one of the prerequisites for me since a lot of my driving is off road!

I started out with a 1999 Dodge 1500 reg. cab 4WD Auto and had no problems what so ever!

I traded about 3 years ago and now drive a 2003 Chev 1500 ext. cab 4WD limited slip diff. Auto and still have not had a problem!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdonovan

milling jobs are rarely in nice flat, dry paved areas, so 4WD is a requirement in my book.

I'm pulling with a F250 diesel 4x4

AdamT

Have to agree, 4 wheel drive is a must!

Pull mine with an 04 dodge cummins 6 speed, but I think a good half ton will do just fine.
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

dboyt

'87 4wd flatbed Chevy with a 350 manual transmission.  Flatbed gives you more options for hauling logs and lumber.  Two factors are the weight of the portable sawmill, and whether it has electric brakes.  There have been a number of times when I was more concerned about stopping than I was starting!  If the mill has elec brakes, hook 'em up!  Also you want a heavy-duty towing package and good shocks & suspension.

Another suggestion, don't get something all nice and shiny that you don't want to get scratched up.  Besides, you don't want to look too prosperous, or customers will think you're charging them too much!

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Brucer

I hauled both my mills around with a 1980 half-ton chevy diesel. 2WD, automatic transmission. The truck was only rated to pull 2000 pounds, versus 3500 pounds for the bigger mill. So I put an auxilliary cooler on the transmission and that worked fine. The law here also requires that any trailer that weighs more than half the truck weight has to have electric brakes.

I always got through winter conditions in that truck by bolting 9 concrete blocks into a steel frame at the very back of the box. That was about 400 extra pounds of weight located well behind the wheels. The whole thing was bolted through the box and into the truck frame.

It was very slow going up some of the steep mountain grades around here and I did have to turn down a few jobs in difficult locations. But that truck got me and the mill around just fine.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Dave VH

if you can afford the upfront cost of a diesel, and use your truck at all, you will not regret it.  I have a 1/2 ton tahoe, and a 2500 duramax.  I can tow 5k - 6k lbs and still beat my tahoe in the fuel economy department. (15 - 16 mpg)  I can get close to 20mpg empty.  Not to mention that the diesel should outlive the gasser, some would say by double.  My last truck was a 1/2 ton with a 350, great truck.  I will never again own anything but a diesel for me again.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Delawhere Jack

4WD is a must. I pull an LT40 with a Jeep Cherokee. 4.0L six, it is underpowered to say the least. Going to an auction tomorrow with a couple 3/4 ton 4WD pickups. There's a friend of the family junk yard owner who has a 94 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 diesel with only 42k miles. It was owned by a local Fire Dept. and only used for brush fires. BEAUTIFUL condition. Sadly, he knows what it's worth.... :(

I'm with Boyt, nothing too purty.

EZ

My every day driving 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy. Sometimes I think I could pull 3 or 4 mills at the same time. 16 MPG suits me just fine for a 1988.  :)

drobertson

never heard of a chevy 4X4 getting over 12 mpg.  I would be happy too!  this being said a 4X4 would be the choice for sure in my opinion.  Lots of fields, soft ground, hills and rocks to get around in.  And a flat bed for sure if possible.  there is always something to haul.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

delvis

My 14 year old 98 Chevy half ton with a 350 tows our LT40 hydraulic easy enough.  I know it's there but not so much that it really slows me down.  4 wheel drive is a must unless you know you're never going to need it.  My truck has a stock 350 in it with 3:73 rear gears and a limited slip rear diff.  When my father tows  the mill with his Duramax you honestly wouldn't even know it was back there except to smooth out the rear end ride a tad on the 3/4 ton truck.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

delvis

Quote from: drobertson on December 13, 2012, 08:14:09 PM
never heard of a chevy 4X4 getting over 12 mpg.  I would be happy too!  this being said a 4X4 would be the choice for sure in my opinion.  Lots of fields, soft ground, hills and rocks to get around in.  And a flat bed for sure if possible.  there is always something to haul.    david
You haven't been around many Chevy 4x4's if you've never heard of one getting over 12mpg!  My 14 year old 1/2 ton will do that towing the mill. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

drobertson

We  must be careful on bragging on the dura-max, less the ram boys start in on us.  I have seen to many of the ram's do there stuff. Pretty bad news for anything that needs pulling.  Not knocking the F series of course, but if I had my druthers, it would be a Ram, drove one the other day, just incredable power.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Well that is a Hallelluaa! for sure man! I have had chevy's all my life, 350's, 400's and the good ole 327's  and they ran great, but 12 was with a tail wind at best, just saying, not doubting anyone's word, though it sounded like it, sorry bout that, love the chevy, but they love the petro too!

dgdrls

I'm with dboyt,  flatbed option and use the trailer brakes!!
Be honest with how much and where you will move it,
once on the road it will pull easy however,
remember support equipment too.

Modern full size 1/2 ton with a v-8 will work fine,   
Modern 3/4 ton Diesel,  even better.
4x4 if you think you need it.

DGDrls

thecfarm

I have no idea about what size,but I would get 4WD no matter what. Try backing up hill on wet grass with a mill,while turning at the same time with a 2wd.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Leigh Family Farm

This is not meant for a Dodge vs. Chevy vs. Ford competition. I'm looking to tow a WM LT40HD/TK 1600 type sawmill. The truck needs to have four doors because it will double as MY family vehicle as the wife has a small sedan. Flatbed would be nice but since its also my family vehicle, I can't justify it. All of the trucks would be 4WD and have 4 doors.

Would these models work for towing these mills?
What problems arose with your truck? How did you fix these problems?
What did you wish you had on the truck (wide mirrors, type of hitch, etc.)?
On some of these models, the diesel engine really kicks up the price, so is it really worth it?
Spray in or drop in bed liner?

Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab 5.7L V8 Short bed
Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 6.1L V8 Short bed
GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab 5.3L V8 Short bed
Chevy Silverado 1500 CrewCab 5.3L V8 Short bed

Thanks guys!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

drobertson

Hey Kilgrosh, not trying to make anything man, just having fun, any of the ones you listed will be fine, as mentioned, wet grass, on a hill, soft soil, and a load causes problems for any truck and then there is the snow factor! even at 5 miles per gallon if you are'nt stuck is a good thing,  good luck man, you will find the one!

NWP

I'm sure there are plenty of people that will argue that diesel is the way to go.  I had a 1998 Dodge Cummins for 12 years.  I figured out there is pretty much no way you'll ever get your money's worth out of the diesel.  I'll take a few less MPGs and have a gas motor.  Cheaper maintenance, fuel less per gallon, and cheaper repairs on a gas motor.  I now have 2 Chevrolet trucks with the 8.1 gas engine and Allison transmission.  They don't get very good mileage but I'm glad I'm not living the diesel lie anymore.  They consistently pull trailers 12,000-14,000 lbs loaded with no problems.  The 8.1 is no longer an option.  I think they have the 6.0 as the only gas in the 3/4 and 1 tons.  Having said all that, I'd stick with gas.  Just MHO.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

OlJarhead

How much does the LT40 weigh?  I'm surprised by all of the heavy trucks since I've towed an offroad trailer (Evo1) with my XJ that weighed in loaded up at about 3000lbs.  The XJ (Cherokee) was rated at 5000lbs but I'd not try that frankly as the Evo was heavy enough.

Admittedly the XJ did a much better job of it with the 4.10's, headers and all kinds of other mods but it still did it well.

For my little mill I'm planning on using my F1504x4 but may use the XJ for more remote locations as it's much better offroad.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: thecfarm on December 13, 2012, 09:39:20 PM
Try backing up hill on wet grass with a mill,....
I was just going to type this myself, and I have a 4WD F-350. Most notable humiliation being pulled out of a customer's yard by customer with 1/2 ton chevy after mucking it all up.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 13, 2012, 10:58:59 PM
How much does the LT40 weigh?

Depending on engine and options, the LT40/TK 1600 weight around 4,000-5,000 lbs. I would want a truck that can pull at least 5,000 lbs comfortably because if I'm pulling the mill that means I have another 500 lbs of gear (chainsaws, log arch, gas, etc.) in the truck bed.

Quote from: NWP on December 13, 2012, 10:45:02 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of people that will argue that diesel is the way to go.  I had a 1998 Dodge Cummins for 12 years.  I figured out there is pretty much no way you'll ever get your money's worth out of the diesel.  I'll take a few less MPGs and have a gas motor.  Cheaper maintenance, fuel less per gallon, and cheaper repairs on a gas motor....

Thanks for the info. Any options I should look for in the truck? Whats a 7-point towing harness?

Ohio_Bill

I have used a full size SUV for the last 15 years to pull the mill. It's a 1991 Jimmy with a 350. I like it because I can haul equipment and keep it secure.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

OlJarhead

Thanks Kilgros!  That's a heavy frame!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

drobertson

Here are a few photos from 08', just before my biggest job to date. close to 1/4 million feet in 8 months, and then it was gone, dang divorces tear up more than families, but the 03' chevy was a dream, 6.0, and hate to say the bad word, 12mpg.

and the begining pile which was just the start of some good sawing

I came in behind a fellow that was several states away, with his portable, only wish I had know and acted on this sooner. 4 wheel drive was defintely necessary.

Brucer

The basic LT40 hydraulic with the 25/28 HP Kohler engine, on a trailer and with no other options, weighs 3330 pounds.

Add a debarker, Accuset, and Lubemizer and you're up to 3425 pounds.

Going to a bigger HP diesel can add up to 600 pounds.

So you're in the 3400 to 4000 pound range.

The axle on the 25/28 HP gas is rated at 3500 pounds. On any of the diesels the axle is rated at 5000 pounds.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

redlaker1

looking at the weights of the mills that have been mentioned,  and adding the weight of the associated gear that you would have to haul,   I think you would do well with a gas engined 1/2ton or 3/4ton.     myself I just cant see the benefit of a diesel unless you are hauling big weight like 8000+ over long distances, and steep grades, high altitude etc.     

when people say that a diesel engine will outlast a gas engine I think they are reminiscing about the diesels of the past,  ie 190hp cummins 5.9 and the old ford 7.3s etc    that lasted forever.    but the diesels of the present dont seem to hold up,  seeing as they are pumping 400+ hp out of pretty much the same size engine.     add to that the cost of components,  oil changes,  and other maintenance,  and the fact that diesel fuel now costs more than regular gas.   it just doesnt make sense unless you REALLY need the diesel.     I could buy a new engine for my gas truck for the price of some of the common repairs on the diesels these days    ie injectors, hp pump, heads,  etc

and this is coming from a journeyman diesel mechanic

but the 4x4.....    I totally agree with      just couldnt live without it where I live.    the only 2wd truck I have owned was my first,   all have been 4wd since.       just have to have it,   dont like getting stuck

valley

I have six trucks -- one 1/2 ton Chevy 4wd 350 99 model good truck for pulling mill or other light loads and like said before cheap to keep going. Next is an old 71 3/4 ton Chevy tough as a boot 4wd it my go into the woods and drag whatever out truck. 99 2000 & 2002 ford f-250 7.3 diesels they are my bread winners they all have over 300000 miles and I haven't really done any major work to any of them but Im punctual on keeping them serviced and finally 2006 dodge 3500 2wd dually it's for sale basically useless in my line of work ( saw milling and construction ) to sum this up if I were going to keep just one it would be the 2002 f250 I've had a lot of trucks in my life and in my opinion it's just hands down the toughest hardest working best pulling one I've had. ( note 02 was last year for 7.3 that's why there's not a newer f series in the line up )
Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

sigidi

DGDrls got me onto this thread.

I know you guys probably don't have our vehicles over there, but I use a Nissan navara 4x4 3.0l turbo diesel, its listed as a 1 ton ute over here with 6,600kg towing capacity. I regularly roll down the road like this...

or like this

maybe like this...

even been known to travel like this.....

I had my trailer custom made with dual heavy axles/suspension and dual electric brakes, rated to take 8360lbs.

When rolling with the full model 10 EFI Lucas on the ute and the 763 bobcat on the trailer I get around 450-500 kilometres per tank of fuel (full tank holds max of 75L so maybe 70L) with the mill alone and no trailer I get 600k per tank and without the mill - clean skin I get just on 700k for the tank.

I made some additions by the way of the three racks to take the Lucas rails and also added an under tray, rear mounted 12,000lb winch to load occasional logs without the need of machinery...

for my 2c I think 4x4 is essential for mobile cutting jobs down here.
Always willing to help - Allan

dgdrls

I believe these Mid size cab-overs would make a dandy saw/truck.
About as big as a One Ton P.U. 4WD and Diesel.

I believe the big challenge is having one truck that must be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
It's like having to have only one sawmill for all occasions :D

DGDrls

kelLOGg

I use a Dodge Ram 1500 4WD for the MP32. No sure what it weighs but more than it did from the factory because I have added about 600 lbs to it. It has done very well.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

jdonovan

Quote from: sigidi on December 18, 2012, 04:53:59 AM
I know you guys probably don't have our vehicles over there, but I use a Nissan navara 4x4 3.0l turbo diesel, its listed as a 1 ton ute over here with 6,600kg towing capacity. I regularly roll down the road like this...

We have nothing like the work/bush ute's you can get down there. Our small pickups here are lucky to be rated to tow 7,000lbs. Even our entry full size pickups don't even get to 12,000lbs.

If I wanted the same towing your ute has I'd need a 250 class pickup, and even then, some of them couldn't get to 6600 Kg.

Magicman

Yours is a well thought out rig, sigidi.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Real Milling makes a good point.  You may be hauling something other than the sawmill, and need the extra capacity.  I brought home this 44" dia x 10 black oak last year.  According to my calculations, it weighed just shy of 6,000 pounds-- easily half again as much as my truck/trailer combined.  Now, all I need to do is load it on my Norwood mill and make slabs!  By the way, get tire chains for whatever you use.  Great for mud & snow.

Magicman

The truck and trailer may not be overloaded, but it looks  :o  like you are.   :)  Take care of that back.   :)

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have an 05 gas 4wd f250 and 99 4wd f350 flatbed with 7.3. I tow equipment to jobsites,lumber to jobsites, logs to my mill, and livestock occasionally. It might cost a little extra to fill up but I wouldnt trade the diesel for two gasers. It pulls whatever I put behind it like its not even there. Dual rear tires and 4wd takes me through some tough places. I'm not downing any vehicle out there as they all do there job but I'm a 7.3 believer! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Leigh Family Farm

That IS a very nice rig! Thanks for all the info everybody. It seems like a good flatbed trailer with parbuckling/winch capabilities is a neccessary evil for sawmilling.

Magicman

Quote from: kilgrosh on December 18, 2012, 10:12:44 AMIt seems like a good flatbed trailer with parbuckling/winch capabilities is a neccessary evil for sawmilling.

While mine is not a flatbed, I would rather just call it a necessity. 

Starting from scratch, I would rather have a flatbed, but this still works.  Notice the broken floorboard in the trailer front from a falling log.  A good suggestion was made to use old tires to prevent such damage.

kderby

I just read through this for the first time.  I am really stuck on this quote

"Another suggestion, don't get something all nice and shiny that you don't want to get scratched up.  Besides, you don't want to look too prosperous, or customers will think you're charging them too much!"

That was from Dboyt and reminds me that the customer does not want to pay for fancy vehicles.  If you are looking for a safe roomy family vehicle and a sawmill truck in the same package, that is a stretch as well.  I am thinking you will get a older 4WD vehicle for the jobsite, the dog and the tools.  Get your wife/kids a nicer ride.

I have four pick-ups: One ton dually big block for towing, 3/4 ton 4WD (nice) for towing and family, 3/4 ton 4WD for a brush beater, and a 1/2 ton 6 cyl. 4WD for day to day run-about.  Only one of them has a market value greater than $2,000.  This did not happen all at once.  It is just how things have worked out.

kderby

captain_crunch

My towing vehicle might be a mite over kill :) :)

Here is how we got it 5 miles down road

dboyt
Thought you stole my 87 Chevy flat bed beings they are Twins from color to Identical flat bed ??? ???
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Gasawyer

Not to disagree with the guys that recommend gas engines,but a first Gen dodge 4x4 with the 5.9 cummins auto overdrive dually regularly gets 20 MPG interstate and 18 MPG month little roads pulling a LT 40 hdd that grosses 6500. The dodge is easy to work one, you couldn't give me one of these newer computer controlled engines. I am currently running an 84 suburban daily with the 6.2 diesel 700r4 trans 4x4 empty gets 19-20mpg 16-17 MPG pulling same LT 40. If you are able to work on your truck then get an older diesel, if not then I guess your stuck with one of these new things they call a truck. Just my 2 cents.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Magicman

And then there was the time when I could not leave a sawjob without some help.

The tire tracks were made when I went in that morning.  No way could I tow the sawmill out without help.

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: kderby on December 18, 2012, 11:45:22 AM
... If you are looking for a safe roomy family vehicle and a sawmill truck in the same package, that is a stretch as well.  I am thinking you will get a older 4WD vehicle for the jobsite, the dog and the tools.  Get your wife/kids a nicer ride....

kderby, I don't have the finances or the space to have that many vehicles. The truck has to pull double duty as both the job site vehicle and the family hauler. My wife has a Ford Focus for the runaround commuter which is perfect for her but if you put two adults, two kids, and a soccer ball in the car you've pretty much filled it up.

Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2012, 10:39:08 AM
Starting from scratch, I would rather have a flatbed, but this still works.  Notice the broken floorboard in the trailer front from a falling log.  A good suggestion was made to use old tires to prevent such damage.

I gotta remember the old tires tip.

Well to sum it up on the vehicle for towing the mill, here is what you all came up with:
1) big engine, diesel or gas according to your personal preference, but torque is important
2) 4x4
3) older model trucks will run great as long as you take care of them
4) tire chains & tow straps for getting out of tight spots
5) flat bed, if feasible but not 100% necessary
6) if not a flat bed, then a low flat bed trailer with winch for log hauling

Thanks for all the help guys!

Finn1903

We have a 2002 F350 single rear wheel 4x4 crew cab, 8 foot bed with the 7.3 powerstroke as our farm mule.   We picked our XL model from a contractor going out of business. 
If I was looking for a truck to pull most of the time I would look for a 7.3 F250 or a Cummins, 8 ft bed and 4x4.  If trying to do double duty you could trade the 8 ft bed for a 6 ft and go with a crew cab.
A 1/2 ton would work for occasional towing. Remember to add A good trailer break system on whatever you use. 
In general I will say Diesel engines and the 3/4 ton and larger frames are heavy.  Add driving across a wet ground and that heavy engine and a trailer can get interesting!  Last weekend we were moving truck loads of shavings and I placed down some boards across a wet area to help the tires float across a soft area. 
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

captain_crunch

dboyt
Does this look familaure to you

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Delawhere Jack

Gave myself an early Christmas present. I just bought an 88' F250 4x4 with an 8' flatbed. Really nice condition and only 92k miles. Towing the mill with the Cherokee has caused too much gray hair/ hair loss. Mother nature really doesn't need any help there.......Ho Ho Ho!!!   :)

m wood

my 97 4x4 dakota wouldnt handle much pulling even with the 318...but i was able to sell it when...wait for it...the next door high school senior raffled off his 98 ram 4x4 with plow (cuz he couldnt get 'er sold b4 headin to college).  My father-in-law won it with a $20 ticket at the grad party and gave it to me cuz HE had just bought a 2010 silverado with a brand new plow for himself. Woohoo! The first inlaws that i have ever loved so much, and i've had 3 sets now. p.s.: love 'em NOT just because of the new truck!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 19, 2012, 07:08:59 PM
Gave myself an early Christmas present. I just bought an 88' F250 4x4 with an 8' flatbed. Really nice condition and only 92k miles. Towing the mill with the Cherokee has caused too much gray hair/ hair loss. Mother nature really doesn't need any help there.......Ho Ho Ho!!!   :)

Nice going there Jack!

Quote from: m wood on December 19, 2012, 08:31:41 PM
my 97 4x4 dakota wouldnt handle much pulling even with the 318...but i was able to sell it when...wait for it...the next door high school senior raffled off his 98 ram 4x4 with plow (cuz he couldnt get 'er sold b4 headin to college).  My father-in-law won it with a $20 ticket at the grad party and gave it to me cuz HE had just bought a 2010 silverado with a brand new plow for himself. Woohoo! The first inlaws that i have ever loved so much, and i've had 3 sets now. p.s.: love 'em NOT just because of the new truck!

Why didn't you let others know about this raffle?! I would've bought a ticket!  :)

Delawhere Jack

Meet Ole Hee Haul. 88' F250, 351 V8, 4x4, 4.10 rear, 3 speed C6 trans, dual tanks (one works....), and all the most popular Hee-Haw add-ons.  ;D

The cab is incredibly good for the age. Cab corners are solid and original. Virtually rust free.

Still working up plans for a removable tool box that will sit against the headboard. I'd love to see pics of how you other guys with flatbeds carry your gear.

customsawyer

I use a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 diesel. I know that some guys don't like to use a newer truck as the customer thinks expensive. I would rather my customer see me pull up on time. IMHO.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

This is how I moved mine the last time. ;D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: customsawyer on December 22, 2012, 04:28:26 PM
I use a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 diesel. I know that some guys don't like to use a newer truck as the customer thinks expensive. I would rather my customer see me pull up on time. IMHO.

Are you pulling two trailers with the 350, CustomSawyer?

customsawyer

Yes. It is the best way to get the tractor and mill both to the job site.  ;D It is with in the law as long as the first trailer is a goose neck or fifth wheel.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

haywire woodlot

Hey Jake, my cousin's got one of those new 6.7l fords, after taking a ride in it, don't doubt yours could pull that tandem trailer setup without even breaking a sweat!  :)
Dave

jackpine

I have hauled my mill since it was new 12 years with a 1996 gmc 1500 ext cab  4x4. 4.3 v6. It does struggle at times on hills to maintain speed and I do not pull it on the interstate unless I have to. It was what I had at the time I bought the mill and I could not see replacing the truck because of the extra expense. I have a better truck to pull the mill but still use the gmc  because the wife will not complain about mud or sctaches on it. ;D

:christmas:

shelby78

There are a couple things that have been said that i will add a plus one to. Only get 4x4. Diesels are alot heavier and will sink faster. You can have, nice/family/and not ruin it as my truck is my only vehicle and it does that exact job.  Lots of power helps but probly isn't needed all the time. A newer truck will get alot better mileage than a older truck. Case in point... My last truck was a 98 f250 4x4 with 80000 miles and got 13mpg loaded or not. It made a huge 215hp.. My new 2011 ram with 400hp gets 22 mpg not towing.

To me no matter what you get the single most important factor (other than 4x4) is good tires! I run only goodyear duratracs and they are a amazing tire that is also snow rated.

You can see from the pic i don't baby my truck.

rmack

After putting about 150,000 miles on a cummins diesel, I will never go back to gasoline. I drive it year round including northern Alberta (-40*) as long as it is plugged in at colder than -28*C nothing to worry about. The cabin stays warm at -40*C and cool at +40*C. Have to keep in mind I do my own wrenching. I have since put goodyear duratracs on it, very aggressive 10 ply in a large size. they work good and I doubt most people will realize how expensive they are. It probably doesn't matter with all that shiny paint on the mill anyways.  :christmas:

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

UN Hooker

rmack
   Your right on with the Cummins. That's a good lookin 1st. Generation. I've got almost 500K on one of my Cummins.     UN

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Leigh Family Farm

CustomSawyer, I am going to have to look into that law. That would solve a few issues with having proper equipment on site.

customsawyer

Just don't try to back up very far. Don't ask how I know. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Customsawyer,that would turn my head. Might be illegal in Maine?? I have never seen that done around here. Good thing that don't run on gas, when you go to fill it up would take one whole lane.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rmack

Quote from: UN Hooker on December 24, 2012, 09:22:39 PM
rmack
   Your right on with the Cummins. That's a good lookin 1st. Generation. I've got almost 500K on one of my Cummins.     UN

Thank you, I have noticed an old F350 dually 4x4 crewcab for sale nearby with a bad motor. I just happen to have a twin to that white one with the body wrote off  (not me)  it has a good motor in it and I am going to need the white one for a welding rig... so we'll have to see what happens  ;)

CustomSawyer; that's a nice setup, too bad those are definitely illegal in BC. They do allow 2 trailers but have a high GVW minimum.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

swampbuggy

My Toyota has 248000 miles on it. Pulls my mill very nicely. On the interstate i try to park behind a big rig to save on gas. The Norwood has a 4 ft. extension on it so it is a little long. If I upgrade to a bigger mill I will have to upgrade the truck, so I am happy right where I'm at.. for now! Going north in the summer and south in the winter adds a few miles to the odo.  ;D ;D

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

dboyt

Quote from: captain_crunch on December 18, 2012, 10:48:25 PM
dboyt
Does this look familaure to you

Captain Crunch, I had to look at the license plate to see the difference between the trucks.  My wife just saw your photo and commented that it was a nice picture of "Scotty" (the name of my truck, since it's a Scottsdale-- and appropriate, since it has beamed me out of a few sticky situations).  Amazing to think that it is now a "classic".  One of these days, I'm going to put in a new windshield & give the ol' boy a paint job.  Thanks for posting!

haywire woodlot

I pull my LT 40HD with my 03' F350, it has a 6.0L diesel that has been debugged, erg delete, etc. I'm pretty happy with it, pulls the mill easily, has 4x4 and a forestry style steel box insert.

I use my '99 F550 for delivering lumber and firewood, it also has a 12yard roll off bin that is handy for tossing sawmill waste directly into for sawing off site.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!