iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I Have Been Working On

Started by Tree Feller, December 12, 2012, 06:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I've been turning wine bottle stoppers. I said once that I would never do them but they are contagious. They also make great gifts.

I've turned a dozen or so the last three days but here's one I finished today. I did the glue-up yesterday. It's Olive wood, pick guard and corncob finished with CA/BLO and polished with Renwax...for the discerning redneck.   :D

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Dan_Shade

Nice.

this is what I've been doing:

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Both nice turnings for Christmas.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tree Feller

I like the bell ornament, Dan. Here's my latest BS...a  Walnut spiral finial with Deft gloss lacquer finish.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Lud

Wow  Those are good!   Like the cob.  Who'duh thought!  And that spirally bugger!  Is that some multiple axis process?? ??? ???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Why don't ya'll auction some of this stuff off on the Forum instead of keeping it for yourself? DanG!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Quote from: Lud on December 12, 2012, 08:01:26 PM
Wow  Those are good!   Like the cob.  Who'duh thought!  And that spirally bugger!  Is that some multiple axis process?? ??? ???

Thanks, Lud. That spiral finial is laid out just like a flame finial but instead of carving, I drill holes along the lines and then use a Dremel tool to connect the holes and undercut the spirals. A couple hours of sanding and it's done.   ;D

There's a tutorial on them at the Sawmill Creek woodworking forum home page. That's where I learned how.

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 12, 2012, 08:28:26 PM
Why don't ya'll auction some of this stuff off on the Forum instead of keeping it for yourself? DanG!  :D

Is there an auction for the forum? If so, I'd donate some stuff to it. Clue me in on the details.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

DanG

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 12, 2012, 08:28:26 PM

Don't drag me into this, David.  That stuff is way above my pay grade! :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Put one of those wine stoppers on the Forestry Forum Auction and I will buy it for sure  8).  I need one  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Okay, I posted that corncob bottle stopper for auction (linked to this thread for a pic). All the proceeds from the winning bid go to support the Forestry Forum. The auction will run for only three days.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Brad_bb

How did you make the corncob solid? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tcsmpsi

Never really even thought of the possibility of those things' existence.  I am supposing that there are folks that close wine bottles after they're opened.?.   :D    But then, if I had one of those beauties, I might have to find a wine bottle.

On the other hand, I believe my oldest daughter might have turned to that direction....closing wine bottles, that is.  Yeah, I imagine there might be a bid battle here and there for one of them.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

WDH

Cody,

Would you post a link to the auction?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Here's the link to the auction...I think. I screwed up attaching the picture and ended up with only a red X.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.pl?category=support
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Tree Feller

Quote from: Brad_bb on December 13, 2012, 12:39:20 AM
How did you make the corncob solid?

I used lots of thin cyanoacrylate glue.

Tcsmpsi - The stoppers look good even in an empty bottle. They can also be used in olive oil bottles, salad dressing, etc.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

lowpolyjoe

Great stuff!  That Walnut spiral is amazing  :o

scsmith42

Somebody please keep the DrB away from this auction....   ;D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dodgy Loner

Those are cool, Tree Feller. :)

I'm not sure whether I like to corncob or the walnut spiral better, they are both awesome!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

sandhills

Sorry to bother administration yet again but every time I try to register for an auction it says my alias is already taken, I know it was something I screwed up while trying to register for last years pig roast auction but don't know how to fix it or what I'm missing?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jeff

Well, you are only supposed to register once to use the auction area, not for every auction. It it says it is taken, its taken by you!  :D :)

I'll see if I can dig into it and either send you the login info, or delete the one that is there so you can do it again.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Lud

Nice avatar pic, Boss!  Not feeling as hairy as in the old days?  Goes with the process! ;D ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Jemclimber

Nice bottle stoppers TF. Where to you get the pic guards? Is it three, black-white-black, glued together or do they come layered?
lt15

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Tree Feller

Quote from: Jemclimber on December 17, 2012, 11:15:02 AM
Nice bottle stoppers TF. Where to you get the pic guards? Is it three, black-white-black, glued together or do they come layered?

I get the pick guard from Grizzly. You can also get it from guitar-making supply co's like Stewart-Macdonald but Grizzly is cheaper.
It comes in various colors but I got the three-lamination, black-white-black and the white-black-white sheets.

Since the pick guard is plastic, I've begun gluing up the blank, and when it's dry, drilling a 1/2" hole from the bottom end to near the top end. I then glue in a 1/2" dowel.

I rough up the pick guard with 80 grit sandpaper on both sides and then use CA glue for gluing the blank but the dowel makes me feel better about it staying together. The drill for the mandrel is 23/64 and I center it in the dowel when I get ready to turn the blank.

Quote from: clww on December 17, 2012, 12:42:19 PM
Awesome craftsmanship! :)

Thanks, clww.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Thank You Sponsors!