iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

All that left over wood...

Started by thesawyerswife, December 12, 2012, 03:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesawyerswife

My husband and I recently bought an Lt-15. We have been spending our weekends milling as many boards as we possibly can in the wee hours of daylight that we have before it gets dark. I've started to notice however that the part of our property where we mill at is becoming accumulated with "wood extras" (i'm sure there's a technical term for this, so you'll have to pardon my slang as my education is mainly in the medical feild). I am looking for some ideas on what to do with all these extra log sides etc. before our pile becomes a another a mountain in itself  ???

Busy Beaver Lumber

cut to 16 inches in length and sell as firewood. You can either sell it bulk, either delivered, or let them come and load it and haul it, or you can buy a firewood bundler and put a little extra effort into it and sell it as bundled firewood like we do. To date we have sold over 25,000 bundles.

What you see below is all sawmill cut-offs.

There are 800 bundles ( about 5 cords worth) on the white truck/ trailer combo
The Purple truck and trailer have a total load of 400 bundles

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Ianab

Like the Beaver says, Firewood.

I assume you aren't burning wood yourself, otherwise the "problem" will just go away.

Is there a market locally for fire wood? Usually there is any place that gets cold. Bundled stuff like he is selling gets the best $$ because people only want small parcels for a "decorative" fireplace or campfires. Someone with a whole house wood boiler wants a truckload wood for the winter.

Family or neighbours use firewood? Tell em to just come and collect it.

If you don't want to mess with selling it, and can't find anyone wanting free firewood (unlikely), just stack it on the side of the road with a "Free Firewood" sign. Someone will soon stop and pick it up.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

slider

Most of mine is pine so what i don't use myself or give away i just burn.

al glenn

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TheSawyersWife!

Lots of people around here use "slab-wood" as camp fire wood!

Most people won't burn Pine, Spruce, etc in the wood stove for home heating, but they will take it to camp.

The hard-woods are all good for the wood stove!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

If you are the individual I think you are then don't worry about it, as Jamie has a plan. :D
If you are not who I think you are,  then make firewood.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

learner

Brucer has what I think is an Excellent way of dealing with the leftovers. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62424.0.html

Wellcome to the forum thesawyerswife.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Woodsrover

I really like the idea of bundling it and selling it.  There's a state campground a mile up the road that doesn't sell firewood.  The local general store sells it and I bet they get $5.00 a bundle or better.

I burn wood for heat and hot water in the house but have plenty of firewood.  What to do with these slabs.  I have three huge piles of slabs, two pine and one oak and other hardwoods...I could bundle it, load it in the back of the old Land Rover and drive through the campground selling it every evening.  $4.00 a bundle for pine, $6.00 a bundle for hardwood.  Hmmmm.  Already thinking about building a firewood bundler....  Just what I need, another project!   :D

Slab Slicer

I've been milling alot of Norway spruce lately, and ended up with the same issue. I cut all the slabs to 18" lengths, piled it at the end of the driveway, and marked it FREE. It was gone in a coulple of day. Probably 3 cords in all. There are alot of outdoor wood furnaces around here, and that's where it went. Campfires are another good use also. With the campground so close to you, you should have an easy time of disposing of it, and generating additional income to boot.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

customsawyer

You could bundle it up and sell it out there on Hwy 17. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, thesawyerswife.   :)

I get rid of mine like this, but it is not very profitable.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Uh-oh, Magic, it looks like you leaned your "Free Wood" sign up against some living pine trees. I hope nobody got the wrong idea of which wood was free.  :D :D :D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

delvis

We bundle ours 8-9 feet long x 3 feet in diameter and sell those bundles for $20.00  We lose money compared to what we could make but we have to consider the time we have and how much of it we want to spend on slabs versus making lumber.  I haven't been able to bring myself to pay what they want for a firewood bundle wrapper, but I think those are the way to go if you're going to make small bundles. 

This year time was short enough that I didn't get the usual 16 cord of firewood worked up for the winter heat and that got me to thinking as well.  An outdoor wood boiler will handle slabs just as well as it will hardwood firewood.  I could be heating my house with a lot less effort and almost no money outlay if I burned the 50-80 bundles of slabs we sell every year.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Busy Beaver Lumber

You could expect to shell out about $2200 for a high quality firewood bundler with delivery costs and about another $400 to get your first decent shipment of plastic wrap.

But the paybacks can be big and rapid if you find the right customer who buys in volume or you have the right location where you can sell it on your own and make even more money.

We would charge about $2.85 a bundle delivered and stacked to our largest customer. What you see in the pic below is 800 bundles with a total value of $2280 headed his way. This customer then turned around and sold it for $5 a bundle making a $1720 profit per load. There were weekends alone that this customer sold over 500 bundles in a single day and over 800 in a single weekend. In a typical year he would take over 12000 bundles from us.

800 bundles would take us just about 8 hours to bundle with my wife running the bundler, me loading the wood trays to feed into the bundler, and a hired helper to load the trays in and stack the completed bundles on the trailer.

One word of caution though, this is a very cut throat business to be in and every changing State and Federal rules and regulations can create or destroy markets for you overnight. When we first started to sell to this state park, all firewood sold there had to be DNR certified, less than 20% moisture content, gypsy moth free, and they would not accept a stick of ash wood because of the ash bore. Being DNR certified and selling no ash and only dry, disease free wood, gave us a steady customer for over 3 years and well over 25,000 bundles sold to this one customer alone.

But alas, the state then changes rules and all of a sudden, campers could now bring in any wood they want, so long as it had no bark and had 1/2 of its sap wood removed, even ash, which had been piling up in the state for years since nobody wanted to touch it. You could not even give ash away during the time of quarentine  because nobody wanted the liability of dealing with it. Now that the state opened the flood gates, people gobbled up the free ash, took the bark off, and brought it into the parks and stopped buying the $5 a bundle wood there. Sales to this customer went down to about 1500 bundles a year as a result and he has told us he may not even offer wood for sale any more.

Likewise in bulk sales, during the ash borer epidemic, you could easily get $160 a cord for bulk, non ash firewood. Now that they can ship the ash because the state acknowledges they lost the battle in the northern part of the state of Indiana, you can find lots of tree surgeons and firewood places flooding the market with good burning ash for about $120 a cord or even less.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

drobertson

sawyerswife, not sure just how many slabs you guys will pile up, but rest assured they do pile up pretty quick. I have some folks that use the straight uniform slabs for door fronts on chest of drawers.  It is a lil pain sorting but I just set another slab rack out for the good ones.  The bark will fall off soon enough and then it is up to the craftsman to do the rest.  As far as the rest, burn as you go if possible to keep things tidy, or as suggested, bundle and sell for any type of camp wood or fire wood.  The beauty of wmz mills and a close eye is the  heavy slabs are minimal not counting the ones that have major butt swell. One fellow out here still cooks with a wood cook stove and he and his wife pick up the smaller stuff for their use.   Good luck and welcome to the forum! Merry Christmas!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thesawyerswife

Thank you gentlemen for all the ideas. while we do burn on a woodstove here, we have more than enough firewood for a couple years and then some. drobertson, I love your ideas about incorperating it into furniture, as that is a huge part of what my husband does! I'm also amazed at the fire wood operation busy beaver has going on! As we typically get alot of out of stater campers, I can see how there'd be one heck of a market here for that in the campgrounds :)
   And dear uncle, you caught me ;) Jamie says he plans on throwing it into a firewood pile, but I just can't bear to see such pretty lumber go to waste... I'm going to try to find some creative ways to put it to work here around the farm. I can't get over how beautiful some of this wood is!
Thank you all again for the input! This is a wonderful resource to newbies like us!
Happy holiday!!!

reride82

We use the leftover slabs for wind breaks and patching corrals. I plan on using it for siding if I ever get a saw shed built...
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Peter Drouin

all my cull and slabs go in the morbark :D

then sell them, the best part I dont pick them up no more,  john will :D :D :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thesawyerswife

Big John always comes in handy for the heavy jobs!

Sixacresand

Several people said they want some slabs for rough construction or for a bonfire but so far no one has taken any.  Presently, I pile them up down in the woods and burn them on rainy days.  Do not forget to get a burning permit from the Forestry Service. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

I sell them on Craigslist for $10 a pick-up truck load.  They go fast. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

redbeard

Keep a eye out for those special knots on some of those slabs they make nice homes for our feathered friends..

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ernie

Quote from: Ianab on December 12, 2012, 03:27:13 PM
t it.

If you don't want to mess with selling it, and can't find anyone wanting free firewood (unlikely), just stack it on the side of the road with a "Free Firewood" sign. Someone will soon stop and pick it up.

Ian

It will disappear faster if the sign says firewood for sale it will get "stolen" overnight for sure.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Magicman

I am portable and seldom have to dispose of slabs.  I mostly saw um and leave um, but I have watched customers doing various things with slabs, like this;

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I've seen that too, Lynn!

I have one particular customer that I've sawn for, for the last 5 years and the slab is still there!

Huge pile!

Problem is it's under the "high-tension" power line that feeds NY City!

When he asked me what I'd do, I suggested he get his brothers Cat dozer and push the piles out from under the power line and set fire to them in the middle of Winter when we have 3-4 feet of snow!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Awww, where is your sense of adventure.  My mine immediately went a different direction.   smiley_devil_trident

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2012, 11:17:53 AM
Awww, where is your sense of adventure.  My mine immediately went a different direction.   smiley_devil_trident
You hit the nail on the head MM! I do believe that is how most of us 'upstaters' feel about 'the city'.

BTW, welcome, thesawyerswife.

WDH

Don't go and burn down New York City.  That will stress them out  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on December 14, 2012, 09:10:52 PM
You could build goat fence. :D

Building goat fence is kind of pointless!  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

petefrom bearswamp

I give  my Hemlock slabs to a neighbor, Hardwood I  sell with some success.
Chuck, be sure to tell him to burn on a very snowy day so the enviro police don't see it.
Open burning is now verboten in NY state.
I did my pile last winter and thought i was doing it on the sly, but a local forester (my son) passed by about 1/4 mile away and told me the smoke was very visible.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Burning brush or slab is against the law in NY now????
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

If it heps smoke is harder to see after dark. I wouldnt say you should disobey the law of your state.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Okrafarmer

Quote from: paul case on December 15, 2012, 09:52:59 AM
If it heps smoke is harder to see after dark. I wouldnt say you should disobey the law of your state.

PC

That's why some of us move to other states.  ;)

Chuck White

I believe that burning wood, branches, brush, etc is ok, but no trash like cardboard, papers, etc!

Who knows, it sometimes changes without notice!

shelbycharger400

when Its dark with no moolight, or heavy fog days things happen  :D :D

WH_Conley

Ky has a no burn rule for disposing of sawmill waste. You can have a fire for a family gathering or among friends. Just drop a few soda cans around til it has burned out. Oh, get the kids a really long hot roasting stick. :D
Bill

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Chuck White on December 15, 2012, 10:59:24 AM
I believe that burning wood, branches, brush, etc is ok, but no trash like cardboard, papers, etc!

Who knows, it sometimes changes without notice!

Chuck, it has to be 3" or under in diameter and no leaves. How that equates to slabs- who knows? Celebratory bonfires are OK as long as they are monitored. Like stated above, just break out the beverages of choice and a pack of wieners, and you are golden.

Cypress Sam

Arkansas dept of polution control and ecology came to visit me.  After sawing slabs are considered industrial wast and cannot be burned!!
SAM

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Cypress Sam on December 15, 2012, 01:42:12 PM
Arkansas dept of polution control and ecology came to visit me.  After sawing slabs are considered industrial wast and cannot be burned!!

Arkansas? I thought they would be better than that!  >:(

paul case

That is interesting. How can wood  such as slabs be in a different class (like being called industrial waste) just by it being cut off the log, but almost everywhere in this great land there are people who cut firewood and sell it where ever and however they want.

I guess it is all in how you cut it.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

isawlogs

After sawing slabs are considered industrial wast and cannot be burned!!

So its ok to burn a round or split peice of wood, but if it is a slab cut on a mill its industrial waste.. Who thought this one through   :-\ 

Paul ya beat me to it ...  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

:( Must be due to all that blade lube!

Nomad

Did you ask him what genius dreamed up that bright idea?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

SwampDonkey

My neighbor has a LT40 I think and he stacks his slabs in the yard with the tractor and a couple of his close by neighbors with outdoor furnaces come get some slabs by late winter. It's white cedar, so it burns fast. Leftovers are burned in the spring. The guy with the mill uses electric heat. Now if it were me or most fellas on here, I know what I'd do. But then again these guys will skid wood down the paved road with a tractor. Any of you guys allowed to use the paved road as a skid trail? And I mean 2 miles, not just crossing the road. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

:D  I once skidded two utility poles across town behind my Ford Bronco.  Maybe the right wrong person just did not see me.   ;D  I figured that they could not come up with a law that was being broken, but I would never try that stunt now.

SwampDonkey

I was just up to where they have been playing with the tractor on a piece of their land, cutting wood. They have to use my cousin's road to access it. Counted the rings on the fir that were 18-20". Most logs are chalk white. The ring count was 50 years on the but. The rings from 20-40 years average 1 cm, so 3/4" a year in growth in those years. It's probably been close to 30 years since the last cut. I think  they must be going to use the Mizer on the logs because they are cutting them 8-10'. That would seriously drop their value as logs at a commercial softwood mill. We always cut logs as long as we could for the better $$bucks, in 2 foot increments after 12 foot. Meaning if the log went to 19' to the min top, it had to be cut 18'.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

East Berkshire, When I read the regs my interpretation of our reg is fires need to be 3' or less in diameter excepting "ceremonial" bonfires, I guess to allow the Native Americans to have large ones.
I have 129 acres, so i guess I'll just pile the stuff I can't get rid of in various places and allow it to decompose over time.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Busy Beaver Lumber

or just beat them at their own game and make a burn barrel of 3' feet in diameter and about 5 feet tall, cut the flitch in half and chuck it in.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

r.man

Ridiculous laws and rules should be ignored, or at least circumvented. There are generally loopholes that can be used to do this. Always read the actual text with this in mind and something generally pops out.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

taylorsmissbeehaven

This is an interesting thread. I am not aware of the laws in my area, pobably should be. It is raining here today so I am headed out to burn a large pile. I hope not to see any federalies!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

pineywoods

Nobody ever accused them arkansas bureaucrats of being overly bright...Just cut the slabs into shorter lengths, then they are firewood, no longer slabs... ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

A previous thread touches on some of the same problems with governing bodies of various kinds thinking they need to be involved in they offall from a sawing operation.

You may find this thread of interest.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,31036.0.html

ElectricAl's input at post #49 is one in particular.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

The sawmills up here used to have burners that looked like an upside down ice cream cone. It was mostly for getting rid of sawdust. I don't think it was regulation on burning that ended the era of sawdust burning in mill yards. I tend to believe it was utilization standards of every spec of wood that was brought from public forests. Any commercial mill up here depends on public timber, and in the 80's the government instituted total utilization, including sawdust. It became a saviour for most of these mills actually because they had another revenue stream for the sawdust and the hog fuel. This was apparent how dependent they have become when pulp demand and pulp markets dropped from closed pulp mills. Some sawmills had to shut down because the sawdust revenues died. Some mills used or still use the hog fuel themselves and was/are selling the ashes for farms. Nothing was given away.

captain_crunch

The DEQ got the wigwam burners around here. Lots of rules about burning Logging slash but Ifn you call it agricutral debris (as in land clearing) they don't know what to do with you and ask you not to burn unless it is a burn day ??? ??? ???
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

reride82

'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Magicman

Bogue Chitto

I make a small fire then add the slabs on the fire as I cut.  When the fire gets hot then the saw dust goes on. The saw dust will burn for days even in the rain.

beenthere

QuoteI don't think it was regulation on burning that ended the era of sawdust burning in mill yards.
SD
It was the smoke in the valley's and the enviros that was the demise of the teepee burners, I'm quite sure. And near everything went up the elevator to the teepee to burn.
The regulators took them down, not an overt interest in utilizing all but the squeal. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Couldn't be that here, as with all the smoke from houses didn't change anything. We don't have EPA here. All I gotta do is look across the road... EPA. :D No as I said in the mid 80's they told the licenses they had to use it all. If you recall it was tough recession years then to. And it was also then that tree planting and thinning became more intense because of large tracts of clear cuts and jobs lost in the sector. They knew we were heading for a wood shortage, too much capacity. Kept right on as usual and over time kept increasing AAC. But the silviculture didn't start soon enough. Mechanization in the woods was beginning to take of then. Many loggers (skidder/chainsaw) or company men ended up either doing silviculture, mostly thinning, or left for other part of the country. There are still some of those old throw backs with one company here that are union men and they stuck it out even when there was no job full time. I don't know how. Wives must be teachers and nurses I guess. But anyway they called a bunch back beginning a couple years ago to go thinning under the union. They know if they quit the union they will not get back on with the company. They get all the best ground to.

Warren

Quote from: thesawyerswife on December 12, 2012, 03:01:43 PMI am looking for some ideas on what to do with all these extra log sides etc. before our pile becomes a another a mountain in itself  ???

As most folks stated, selling as firewood is the leading candidate for slab and edging disposal.  If you choose to go this route, one thing to keep in mind is how to bundle or package the slabs.  When I first started out, I cut all of my slabs into 16" sections and dumped into two 12 ft bents in my barn.  I sold the firewood by the pickup truck load with folks loading their own wood.  What I found was that given free choice, they would "high grade" and pick out all of the larger pieces.  After a while, all that were left were the smaller, less attractive, harder to sell pieces.  Now, I either sell a 1/2 cord bundle 8+ ft in length ($15 each), or, I cut 16" pieces plus odds and ends into 1 cord baskets ($50 each).  When folks pay for the "full basket", they tend to take everything in the basket, long or short, because "they payed for everything in the basket". 

Also as mentioned above, you need to be aware of the laws in your state. When the EAB originally hit N.KY, we were not allowed to move any firewood (Ash or no Ash) out of the county.  However, any non Ash wood products longer than 48" were not considered firewood.  So, precut firewood was a "no no", but, 8 ft bundles of all oak slabs were O.K.  And yes, the laws change from year to year.  Check with your local Extension Office to see if they have information on the current regs, or contact info.
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

captain_crunch

Thanks to all for BD wishes
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!