iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw decision

Started by Slab Slicer, December 11, 2012, 10:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slab Slicer

I'm plan on stepping up to a more serious chainsaw. I've been felling alot larger trees lately, and the little Stihl MS 250 (18"bar) is making me nervous with such a small bar, and lower HP. I'm pretty much settled on a Stihl, just like my other 3 saws, and I've narrowed it down to 3 models, but I'm up for suggestions other than these 3. First is the MS 391 (25" bar). Not a pro saw in the Stihl line up, but it is the top of their mid range saws. The MS 362 (25" bar). A pro saw according to Stihl, but near the bottom of that line, and finally, the MS 441 (28" bar) Somewhere in the middle of the pro saw line up.

I don't mind a bit of overkill, but there's no reason to go crazy. I just want to make sure I'm not underpower or undersize in most cases. Especially on the back cut. Any help would be appreciated. If I can nail this one down, this may end up as a nice Christmas gift  ;D
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Kemper

I'm a 395 guy, but if you want to stick with a stihl I like the 46.

Slab Slicer

At this point, I'm sticking with a Stihl. Besides, there aren't many Husky dealers in the area. In fact, other than TSC, I can't think of one. TSC only sells homeowner level saws in my area.

You mention the 46. Did you mean the 460? Just want to be sure.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

scully

I firmly believe that a logging saw is a good size to have ,I look at HP and bar lenths I like a 24" for most things including fire wood ! I'm not saying get the Logmaster 2000 but get a dawgone saw that can be used for serious cutting ! I am not partial to Stihl saws but thats not to say they are not great saws . Just get one crowding the 6HP mark ! This is just an opinion but I have never regreted owning 1 or more large bore saws ! They can actualy make short work of some things !
I bleed orange  .

Slab Slicer

The 441 is at the 5.4 HP mark from what I've read. The others are in the 4.5 range. One other concern I have is the bar size. I've heard that it's not always the best choice to get the max bar size for the saw. Too much bar and chain will only overload the saw when pushed that high. Looking for opinions on this one as well. The only one of the 3 that I listed, that isn't at max bar size is the 441. That goes up to a 32" bar I believe.
Chuck

Kemper

Yes, the 460 or 46. It's a powerful pro saw, but not overkill like the 66. Plus most guys who have run both actually prefer the 46 even in bigger wood.

Quote from: Slab Slicer on December 11, 2012, 10:40:27 PM
At this point, I'm sticking with a Stihl. Besides, there aren't many Husky dealers in the area. In fact, other than TSC, I can't think of one. TSC only sells homeowner level saws in my area.

You mention the 46. Did you mean the 460? Just want to be sure.

Ianab

When you say "bigger" trees, what do you mean?

To some folks that's those big 20" dia trees. To my buddy it's a freaking huge cypress that he needs to cut from both sides, with a 5ft bar  :o

Of your choices, the 391 is a semi-pro saw, designed for part time use. Farmers, firewood cutters etc. Cheaper, but reliable. The 362 is a very good pro saw, just a smaller one. If you are only dealing with 20" trees, you will appreciate the lighter weight by the end of the day. The 441 is a bit bigger, able to handle a longer bar etc. Get that if you really do need the extra capacity for larger logs.

Also, if you are having to race the tree on the back cut, consider your cutting technique. Needing to do that suggests a forward  leaner, that might be better cut using a bore cutting technique. Get the hinge wood all set up at your leisure, then cut the holding strap and let the tree go. Even with the little 18" bar it's simple enough to take down 30" trees (safely). Of course if you are doing this a lot, then you probably do want some more saw.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

T Welsh

Slab Slicer, I always go bigger :D And I like to spend other peoples money!!!
Get down to your local shop and test drive 2 to 3 professional saws, feel the difference in weight and power and pick which is best suited for your needs!. Tim

ladylake

Keep in mind that a 362 will have a LOT more power than your 250 and the 362 is almost 2# lighter than the 441.  That extra wieght gets heavy real fast lugging it around out in the woods.   I'd go with a pro Stihl saw as they raised the price on thier mid range one quite a bit plus a better power to wieght ratio.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

You can have all kinds of options .There is some benefit to buying a new pro grade saw because it's under warrentee .

On the flip side there are plenty of lower hour saws out there used but not abused that can be landed for a fraction of the cost so it's a choice .Something in the 70 cc range is a nice size .

AdkStihl

Yup.......like Al said.....70cc
Wouldnt trade either one of my 044's for anything
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

The 044/440 is a good choice as well as the 038 Mag /380 .372 Husqvarna is a nice mid size saw .If the thing was in decent shape and not abused a saw of this size should last the  average casual user for decades .

It gives a person a lot of options .Probabley a 20" bar would be  about standard but they will handle a 24" with relative ease .You could go 28" or 32" but seldom would many have the need but with a good sharp skip chain they will do it .

FWIW I have a souped 038 Mag that will handle a 32" just about as good as an 066 but it's been tweeked just a tad bit ,Smitherized so to speak . ;)--why because I can --- 8)

Krieger91

I've never had a problem felling with my 250 (and yes, I've had trees that required cutting from both side), but I understand wanting something bigger. Personally I liked the 261 I think it was. 3/8 chain, and you could easily get up to a 24" bar, I believe.  But, as somebody else pointed out, what do you define as a "bigger tree"?

Al_Smith

Yes it's a mindset in a way .Early on all I had was a Poulan s-25 with a 14" bar and I dropped some fair sized trees with it .It was all I had ,not much choice in those days .

On the other end there was one guy in Indiana who evangelised using an 066 Stihl with a 20" bar for firewood .Might not be a bad idea if you wanted some exercise and had 1200 bucks eating a hole in your pocket .Other than that it's pretty much over kill like shooting mice with a 12 guage and double ought buck .To each his own .

NWP

I've got a 362, 460, and 660.  If you're going to run a 24" bar, go with the 440 or 460.  I run an 18" bar on the 362, a 24" on the 460, and a 32" on the 660.  I've felled big trees with the 362, but it's a lot nicer with the 460.  The 660 is pretty heavy.  I've never tried any bar bigger than an 18" on the 362.  I like a sharp chain that throws chips not dust so I like to have plenty of power to turn it. 
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

mad murdock

To the O.P. I would go with the 441 of the three options you are looking at.  A 70CC saw is a good compromise between power and weight, IMO. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Slab Slicer

WOW, that's alot of advise. Thank you all. From what I'm reading so far, the Pro Stihl saws are the way to go. I won't be hauling it around the woods as of right now, but if things will probably change once business picks up.

I like the idea of "Power to Spare". I'm cutting an average of 24" - 30" trees, and I'd like the higher power, and longer bar. I'll also be bucking larger firewood logs also. Don't worry, nothing that should be on the mill instead of the firewood pile.

Sharp chains are my favorite of course, so power to turn it, and not have to "horse it" through the log, is in order. I want to lay saw to log, and let it do the work.

A used unit isn't out of the question, so I'll see what I can find I've seen some Stihls at auction locally, but they always go for near new price. Not worth it in my book.

Keep the info coming, and we'll see what happens. I won't pick it up until after Christmas, just in case the wife suprises me.  ;D
Chuck

Clam77

If you average is 24-30" trees, I would go with a 460. 

It can handle a 32" bar easy enough with a little extra power to spare, you can put a 20" bar on it for smaller trees and firewood if need be, it's not beastly heavy and overkill like a 660 is, and it has a much larger oil flow on the bar for running those larger bars if you need to.

You could get away with a 441 but the added extra power with the 460 is gonna give you your best range of options.  I have a 28" bar I run on my 362 on rare occassions when I really need to but you have to go easy with it or it'll work the pith out of the saw.  Kinda wish I'd bought bigger but I don't cut that larger size stuff all that often so the 362 is perfect for me.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Ianab

Yup, trees that size justify a decent size saw. Sure you can take one down with your ms250, but if you are doing it all the time, get more saw  ;D

Keep the 250 for limbing and if (when) you get the big saw pinched, you will then have something to free it with  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

:D A few people like to pontificate they've never stuck a saw .My reply to that is they just don't have enough trigger time yet . ;)

Chris J

If I was considering a 441,  I'd seriously consider stepping up to the 460.   More power,  no weight penalty worth mentioning,  not that much more $$.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

JohnG28

I would agree on stepping up to the 460. I love my 361, it is a great saw and will do anything I ask. I picked up a used 460 this fall though, and it just rips. That saw has power for days. Ive had a 24" on it and its about perfect, doesn't flinch at all no matter what's thrown at it. I haven't run a 440 or 441, but the 460 would be my choice.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

lumberjack48

The 044 Mag and the 038 Mag are a very good saw. I would buy one of these used before I'd buy a high tech new one.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

rooster 58

I used to run an 044 and it was an awesome saw. I now run a 460 and a 660. If you are truly into that big of wood, on a cosistent basis, then I would opt for a 460 minumum. with a 20 or 24 inch bar. You really dont need the 24. The largest tree I ever felled was 47" across the stump and I did it with a 20". Also, if you don't mind the weight, then I would actually prefer the 660 for that size of timber!

AdkStihl

Quote from: lumberjack48 on December 13, 2012, 04:01:07 PM
The 044 Mag and the 038 Mag are a very good saw. I would buy one of these used before I'd buy a high tech new one.

smiley_thumbsup
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!