iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CBN wheel from Ireland.

Started by petefrom bearswamp, December 11, 2012, 06:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Anyone out there using this wheel?
I have one and it works fine after some minor tweaking of the profile.
I use water for coolant.
Any other suggestions on coolant.
Tom from Ireland says they now have a wheel available for the Cooks sharpener also.
I am hoping for a long profile life as iam lazy when it comes to shaping the wheel/rock.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

VictorH

Hi Pete - was the wheel for the old style sharpener?  Was it for 10 degree blades or something else?

Thanks
Victor

xlogger

I use my first blade that I sharpen with the cbn wheel from Ireland today. It's design for 10 degree blades. The blade cut like new, I cut one poplar cant about 18" and she went threw it fine. The rest of what I cut was cedar and we know it cuts easy. I'll cut more tomorrow but most will be cedar so we'll see how it keeps. If I'm still happy with the sharpening I'm going to order one for 4 degree blades also. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Jeff

I think Tom sent demo wheels to some forum members for testing last year. Not sure which.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ladylake

I'll be interested in how long the dry grind ones last, if a long time I'd get one.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

The blades i sharpened look great.
Haven't used any yet but will report when I do.
Winter is just around the corner here and i usually have 2 to 4 feet of snow at my mill site most of the winter so I scale way back on sawing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

barbender

You fellas gotta share some more info ??? -where did you get these, how much are they, and are they a shaped profile like the WM cbn wheels, or are they designed for a drag type grinder, like my Cook's? I had been thinking about trying one of the wheels that are made for chainsaw grinders, since they are designed for a dry grind.
Too many irons in the fire

xlogger

Blade was cutting fine up till I hit two nails back to back :D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ladylake

The one xlogger got is for dry drag type grinder, I'd think the wheel might be too wide for chainsaws. They do make CBN wheels for chain grinders, I think around $100.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tommone

Barbender  I'll PM you with info. It would be unethical to  talk about the CBN wheels as we are not forum sponsors although we will soon have FF link when our new website is launched in the new year.Tom.

customsawyer

I was lucky enough to be one of the folks that got to test the CBN wheel on the cooks grinder. I think that it works very well.
tommone and I worked on the profile for the WM 10° blade. He sent me one and the tools I would need to change the profile a little bit. We sent a couple of wheels back and forth till we got it right.
I have not used it in a while as I use this sharpener mostly for my blades that have hit metal and you tend to have to hit certain spots of the wheel more than others in this type of grinding and I didn't want to use up just one part of that nice wheel. When I swich back over to just regular grinding I will swich back to the wheel that he sent and should be able to report back how many blades it sharpened and how they cut. I know the first 10 blades that I sharpened with it cut fine.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!