iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cook Edger

Started by clay3, December 11, 2012, 04:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clay3

I looked at a used edger today and it was much more rusty than I expected.  I think it has had very little use on it but had been left out in the rain and not touched or cranked for about the last 6-8 months.  The engine would crank but only stayed running for a few seconds, I figured maybe that was due to old stale gas but I don't know.  And some of the teeth were chipped off the blades so I would have to replace them.  The conveyor belt looked OK, but not sure.  I think cleaning the fuel and new blades and grease might be all it needs.  Is there anything else I should consider before I decide?  The price is $3000, which sounds fair to me, but not being sure what else I may have to do to get it running right.  Anybody have an suggestions or comments?

Thanks,
Clay

Busy Beaver Lumber

clay

Check out this used woodmizer one in tenn.

Says it is in excellent condition and looks to be as claimed

http://for-sale.yakaz.com/woodmizer-edger-for-sale#lo=4&docid=0001v79u4fo03pgm
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

wetdog

Make sure the moveable blade will slide on the shaft freely. If corrosion is too bad, you will have more problems than a little bit of grease will fix.

customsawyer

Also check the chains and make sure they are not so stiff that you can't move the blade.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

clay3

that woodmizer is nice looking, but too far away for me, I am not able to travel very far.

I moved the blade all the way over, it was hard to turn the handle, and I didn't think to check the chain, but I will if I go look at it again.

Thanks
Clay

delvis

We bought a used stationary edger made by a company no longer in business for $1,000 five years ago.  The motor was stuck as well as the moveable blade and all the rollers.  Once the motor got some new rings and a light honing, a new gasket set, and everything else got soaked with Aero Kroil, it has been the best running machine for the money I think I have ever seen.  I wouldn't be too discouraged by rusty surfaces if you're a liitle mechanical and not afraid to work on the machine.  I would try and get the guy down on price though.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

clay3

Delvis, I think you're right but I don't think he will come down any more on the price and it is being put in an auction Saturday.  So probably I will let it go because I don't have time to work on it right now.  Still thinking about it though.

Thanks
Clay

drobertson

clay, not knowing the hours on the edger, year or hp the engine has, this is hard to comment on.  but just thinking on how allot of folks roll, it may be better than one would think.  Allot of folks have dreams of sawing their timber and start off with yard trees.  This could be the case, thus causing the chips in the saw blade due to metal or the like.  Just saying, take some kroil, pb blaster or whatever, a grease gun and give it a going over. fresh fuel, check the oil, and give it a chance.  Unless you want to take a chance at the auction, and this might be the best bet too. Hard call,  good luck.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!