iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log sitting on my mill, nothing more

Started by opticsguy, December 11, 2012, 11:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Have a 28" x 12' Alder log, resting on my mill, ready for cutting and have got my cut list ready.  Problem is , i have NO place to store the lumber. Aaannnnnnnnd, 5 more logs waiting . . .

nothing more . . .
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

beenthere

:) :)
How about a pic or two?   8)

Maybe a place to put the lumber will show up. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnSR

Know what you are going through. Having the same problem. Am waiting for the school district to pick up a load. My milling has come to a halt until I get some more room. With all the storms coming in, it's gong to be awhile before building some more cover. Would be nice to be able to just throw some tin over the stack like some of the guys do but the winds are just to strong. Even with weight, the tin blows off.

sparky

I cover my stacks with recycled corregated roofing. I next place some used road grader blades, also recycled, on top and then use metal banding to hold everything in place. The grader blades keep the metal from bending on the ends and spreads the effect of the bands. I start with the banding looped thru about 20 inches from the top of the lumber stack and run a band about every 5 feet. When I cut the bands after the stack has air dried over winter, I save the pieces and use them again. I found the hard way that there is not enough ballast to hold metal down when the wind is stiff.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

T Welsh

opticsguy, I often run out of room! I go up. I usually have to sticker the lumber anyway,so after that it gets banded and it goes into the stack with 12x12 under them and I just keep stacking up until they get wobbly. I have 4x4 that I keep them apart from each other and when the customer comes to pick them up I fork them out and rearrange the pile. I keep roofing tin on top of all my lumber and let it sit a full year before bringing it in to dry the rest of the way! Tim

Thank You Sponsors!