iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying oak, cedar

Started by woodweasel, December 11, 2012, 08:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Dont know anything about drying lumber! Any good sites that I could learn on?? Does air drying require the lumber to be covered? Kinda looking at building a CHEAP solar kiln? Daniel  ???

thecfarm

You have came to the right site. There is one post right at the top of this topic page about solar kilns. a search at the top of the page will bring up some old threads.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Click on the search button. Type in "solar kiln build' and click search.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodweasel

Thanks Gentleman! Gonna purchase a woodmizer in Febr.(not sure which model yet) So much to learn!! :D

Ianab

QuoteDoes air drying require the lumber to be covered?

Best if you cover the drying stack, keeps the sun and rain off. You can use roofing iron, weighted down of course, or an open shed or carport type structure. You want good airflow though the stack to carry the water away

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodweasel

Ok, because some of the pics I saw were not covered!What little red cedar I dried I had covered but was not sure!! ???

shelbycharger400

eastern red I do , I dont cover as I want it to dry out fast as I can. Prolonged exposure over a few months turns that nice red into a blueish grey hue. 
Oak, best to cover it, it likes to water stain.

ForestMan

I built an air dryer using tin for a roof, framed it with 2x4s, added some 2x4 inserts every 2 feet for stability, and then stapled shade cloth over it all the way around.  The roof and shade cloth keeps rain and sun out, but the shade cloth still allows air to pass through.  Placing a fan on one side would help push the air through as well.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I think the Virginia Tech solar kiln is inexpensive and has an amazing track record for good performance for over 25 years.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!