iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

popular end splitting

Started by slider, December 11, 2012, 07:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

I thought this splitting was caused when the tree was drying but these logs were just cut when i took the pictures.Any thoughts.
al glenn

Jemclimber

I see it a lot, and not just with poplar, could be stress released from cutting or possibly from the impact when felled.
lt15

Magicman

My first thoughts were that is normal for Poplar, but since it had just been felled, I would agree with Jemclimber's response above. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I think that it is tension in the log, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rooster 58

I've seen this happen with soft maple as well. I'm not sure if it was stress or my bucking techniques

thecfarm

Tree could of been felled over a sight knoll,rock or even another stump and gave it a good whip. I've done that a few times.  ::) I kinda doubt that was a drying crack that quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

I saw quite a bit of Poplar and I see the end-checking a lot.

Most of the logs will have check ranging from "barely noticable to deep", so it's not unusual.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Fairly popular for yellow poplar to have growth stresses (tension in the outer growth layers).

Here is a pdf published by Dan Cassens that could help explain the dilema of growth stresses and how they show up when dropping a tree and when breaking a log down into parts.

http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/technical_reports/pdfs/2004/316papers/Cassens1GTR316.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slider

I didn't drop them but i don't think it's from falling.These creek bottoms are soft here.I have also seen it before,just curious .
al glenn

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Definitely growth stress.  There is no prevention treatment.  It will cause warp in drying and splitting.  Oftentimes, a small amount of drying creates enough additional stress to make checks even larger.  Article coming about this in Sawmill and Woodlot magazine.  We see this in many species, including yp, walnut, hickory, alder, pecan, eucalypts.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

customsawyer

I agree that it looks like growth stress.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

So I take it that was milled,you could just about see it move on the mill? Probably not that bad. But I suppose drying in a stack it would move alot?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

slider

Thecfarm,the last popular i sawed came in split the same as this.Some movement on the mill but not much.As for drying ,the top boards twisted some but the rest were fine.Now i try to cut them a bit long to get past the split in the finished boards.What's strange is these trees were strait .You wouldn't think they had stress.
al glenn

beenthere

QuoteWhat's strange is these trees were strait .You wouldn't think they had stress

The link'd article by Cassens helps explain that. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

They might be strait but the pith is off center.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

John Bartley

Quote from: customsawyer on December 12, 2012, 07:17:56 PM
They might be strait but the pith is off center.

That's what I thought too, but when I look closely, I think that the pith is at the centre, right where the cracks join, and the dark spot where the pith "looks" to be is really a branch knot.

whuddya think?

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Compression wood results in the pith being off center.  Tension wood also but not all the time.  Growth stress does not have that effect.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!