iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs to drool over!

Started by T Welsh, December 11, 2012, 06:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: acrosteve on August 01, 2013, 09:01:50 PMWhat is the name of that type of hook?
I always called them "end tongs" but I have also heard them called "end hooks".

I made mine from broken logging tongs.

Using them is a very safe way to pick logs up because the log's weight forces the hook into the log's end.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Philngruvy

Being a retired ironworker, we would call similar hooks used on I-beams, shake out hooks.
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Philngruvy on August 02, 2013, 09:55:35 PM
Being a retired ironworker, we would call similar hooks used on I-beams, shake out hooks.

Where can you find these hooks at?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

Looks very handy for logs that don't come from mesquite. Oh well.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Philngruvy

Poston, the shake out hooks, otherwise known as pelican hooks, can be bought at any wire, rope, rigging supply house.  I am not sure if they would work on logs.  The intention of the shake out hook is to slide the hook onto the web of the beam at the end and the other hook would be opposite side making the beam hang with the flanges on the top and bottom.  I think that if the tips of the hooks were ground to a point, they might work on logs.
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

Philngruvy

I just tried to do a search for the shakeout hooks and I came up empty.  I have been out of the business for quite some time, so maybe they are not used any longer due to safety regulations or something.
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just as soon as I bought a couple, somebody would come by the mill and say...Hey, you need these hooks?
You can have 'em!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Leigh Family Farm

This is just a little cherry tree that we sawed up today  ;)
Don't be jealous...

And for some persepctive, this is my hand in the photo  ;D ;D

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

That is some nice cherry!  : :)

Okrafarmer

You sure do have small hands, Kilgrosh!  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

Hence cometh the small hands joke. Okra is just mad because those aren't his logs. ;D :snowfight1:

Migal

:D fine looking Cherry there  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

KyTreeFarmer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 12, 2013, 08:08:41 PM
Hence cometh the small hands joke. Okra is just mad because those aren't his logs. ;D :snowfight1:

Maybe but he had some nice sweet gum at one time ;D
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Tim Lea

drobertson

Nice logs will be routine after a short while for sure, still got to love em'  when they come,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 12, 2013, 06:51:43 PM
You sure do have small hands, Kilgrosh!  ;D

I might have a small hand on that red cherry, but at least I'm not green with envy! 8) ;D :D ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

drobertson

Who has time for a pic on every good log, even though this is "logs to drool over"  they will come and go,  get ready for many more,  david .  nice work by the way,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishpimp

Took these monsters on and almost lost it.
Sawed them for a local college .
Bibbying was a must.
Averaging 45"
Was a tough job. Shoula woulda priced it differently but...
All in all they made some nice boards.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

GAmillworker

Looks like spalted red oak
Thank the Lord for second chances

fishpimp

shelbycharger400

Figured id gloat,   the trees from the first page , my post are a commin down $$$   :-) :-)

mesquite buckeye

Good deal. Soon you will be rich. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!