iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boundary line maintenance

Started by ford400, December 11, 2012, 06:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford400

Took advantage of the nice weather to get out and work on the boundary lines. Limbing up the trees and flagging the blazed trees. I plan on going back in the spring with the bush saw to clear out the small trees and re painting the blazes.

How do other people mark their bondary line?

wwsjr

A few years ago surveys were completed on my property and the 4 adjoining parcels. The surveyor placed wooden stakes along all the lines. Steel pins were placed by surveyor on all the corners, all the properties were basically retangular. Prior to the underbrush growing back, I placed 6 1/2' fence t-posts along the lines where the wooden stakes were located. Lot of walking and hard work since the property is hilly and heavily wooded, but I think the steel posts will last for many years. We did not blaze or paint any trees.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

g_man

What I have been doing is flagging the blased line and trying to keep a boundary path cleared. I like the flagging because it is more visable than the blases but it tends to get pulled off during hunting season even though the land is not posted. Red Squirrels chew it off too here and there. So it is constant upkeep. Before I repaint the blases I tell the neighbor on that line to take a look at my flagging and let me know if they see something they don't like because I am going to repaint. I also make sure the corner pins are wide open, painted, and visable.
As it turns out I seem to know more about peoples boundaries than they do. Even non abutting lines. Amazing.

treefarmer87

we spray paint and flag almost every year.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

jocco

Pet peeve of mine is around here many 1.do not know where it is :o 2. could care less. ::) 3. They are not marked but go 50,000 feet to wooden stake or such and such tree from 1927!!!! :-[ 4. Real estate brokers sell property and have no idea where lines are (i hate that one) :P As far as markings yes cut brush, paint, flag, metal stake etc.
You may check out but you will never leave

SwampDonkey

Quote from: ford400 on December 11, 2012, 06:12:53 AM
Took advantage of the nice weather to get out and work on the boundary lines. Limbing up the trees and flagging the blazed trees. I plan on going back in the spring with the bush saw to clear out the small trees and re painting the blazes.

How do other people mark their bondary line?

I do the same every 5 years. I have a young forest so blazing and/or paint over grows fast. ;D

99% of woodlots around here never get marked until a logger moves in. Some like to cut them all down.  Happened to us more than once along with a few acres of our wood. >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I blaze the trees and than use red paint and I keep the brush and branches out of the way too. My Father and me did the blazing many years ago. I just put flagging between the blazes now. We also meaured out quite a few lines.
I have 170 acres here. If something was to happen to me,no one knows where our lines are.  I brought the wife around to the lines about 15 years ago when we first got together. I know she can not remember now  My place is kinda uneven in a few places and one place even comes to a point.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DDDfarmer

I flaged the lines around my neighbours corner lot( 10 acres was severed off before I bought the remainder farm).  I informed the neighbour what I had done and asked him to walk it, in case there was any dispute. 

He said that he walked back there once with the family to check out the property they bought and it took them almost 6 hours to find a road.  Only problem was they came out to the next side road close to 4 miles away.         

He said "I saw that bush once and that was more than enough, I trust your judgement!"
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

drobertson

I need to do the same here. just this summer my neighbor allowed a fellow to run electric wire around his 80, bordering mine. Needless to say his cows were out every day. He ended up moving the cows, but not all the wire and insulators.  I need to acurately mark my line, just don't know the best way, other than the expensive survey.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

g_man

Quote from: thecfarm on December 11, 2012, 08:15:43 AM
I have 170 acres here. If something was to happen to me,no one knows where our lines are.  I brought the wife around to the lines  I know she can not remember now  My place is kinda uneven in a few places

cFarm, that is exactly the same as me. Even the 170 Acre. We have over 3 miles of boundary to keep. I am the only one who could walk it w/o flagging.

thecfarm

Land to play on,great isn't it?  ;D  I really enjoy my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

One of the best front end investments in your property. ;)
~Ron

Ken

I try to do mine every few years.  Also do some boundary line maintenance for various clients.  Pretty good job in the fall of the year.  Paint sure is not cheap but works well if applied properly.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Lablover

I have hunting lease that has public land on opposite sides of it so we ( both me and landowner) deal with tresspassers a lot. What I did, was brush the lines and spray the top 12" or so of every fifth post. Landowner like it and my kids and wife know the boundary also. Seems to have help with fewer idiots that are lost.

thenorthman

T posts, spacing up to you but they should be visible one to the next, paint em if you like, If your woried about jerky neighbors pulling em up and moving them get the 8' monsters and drive em down to 4'... not as cheap as paint or flagging but lasts alot longer and is harder to dispute, plus its a head start if and when you ever want to fence it in just make sure you have the real property line...
well that didn't work

ford400

Lots of good advice here. Thanks. There are about 3km of lines I would like to do this winter, as long as the snow doesn't get too deep. We just bought this lot, so I think it is a good way to get to know the neighbours and the property.

Ken and SwampDonkey were do you buy your paint? Do you buy the special boundary line paint from BAP?

SwampDonkey

I don't like the spray on for lines, too faint. I buy red Tremclad by the gallon and a brush. That in itself has it's challenges as I get lots on me to. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ken

ford400  I like to use orange color in the spray cans.  Might cost more and not last as long but as clumsy as I am I usually spill more on me than gets utilized when I use a brush.  Don't use the spray cans on a breezy day or you may end up looking like a pumpkin at the end of the day.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Rick Alger

Running through the slash from clearing lines-of-sight  holding a  brush and paint pail is not my idea of fun. There are guys who do this  for timber companies. They are paid by the mile and they are often worth the pittance that they get.

SwampDonkey

I don't find it that hard. I've actually never dropped or spilled a can yet. My lines are not piles of slash and brush, they are like walking trails. ;D Nice thing about a brush saw is you can cut close to the ground and stand straight up all day doing it. ;D But I do get some paint on me and my gloves. The timber companies hire guys here as well based on production. I know the boss man gets some lines to do in the fall/winter. I forget the rates, but actually not that bad. Won't get rich, but I know you can make $800+ a week if you want to work. That's twice as much as farm labourer. ;D One can does my lines as I only have to do the south and the north lines. The back is the border to the US and the front is the road.

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,come up and do mine. You'll be swearing at the moss covered rocks in 5 minutes.  ;D  Or that's what I do.  Trees and bushes I can keep clean,but rocks are harder. ;D  Or as I walk through the bog looking for a good place to step. Oops,as I sink in over my boot in water,that was not a good spot. Don't say wait until winter,it still happens.  ;D
My land is pretty easy to tell where the lines are. Everyone else around me had theirs cut HARD. I still have marketable size logs on my land and I don't mean pulp size stuff either.

SwampDonkey

A man can come up with all kinds of excuses not to get the work done. :D

rick f

Swamp, how oftone is maintiance done on the boundry line and who does it?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

SwampDonkey

Quite frequently. It was just done again last year. It's actually kept up a lot better since the mid 80's. When I was a kid it was over grown in trees. And those guys have rights of way to the boundary where ever they want to make it. They don't have to ask a landowner for anything. They pushed over a bunch of my plantation trees and ran their machines right through the brook to go around a beaver pond the last time.

Phorester

On private land in Tidewater Virginia, where I started with the VDOF, decades ago property lines were deeply blazed with axes in a specific manner.  It looked as if they chopped out wedges from the trunk, not just sliced off the bark. The blazes were all diagonal.

Corner trees were marked with 3 vertical blazes about chest high on each side of the corner, and on the angle from the tree that the property line extended from that side of the corner.  So you should be able to stand with your back to the tree with the blazes right behind you, and see the next lne blaze, on the angle the line took from that side of the corner tree. 

Line blazes were marked with two vertical blazes on each side of the tree in the direction of the line.  So you could see these blazes as you walked the line, not if you approached the property from the outside or the interior.

So if you saw a tree with 2 blazes, you knew it was a line tree.  If you saw 3 blazes, you knew it was a corner tree.  Many of these blazes had healed over decades before, but they were still highly visible because of the bark distortion and their diagonal orientation.

It was also common to run 3 strands of barbed wire along a property line.  So now you can see 3 horizontal lines of old wire in the line trees where the tree has grown around the wire.

And of course, paint nowadays.  Usually, corners are marked with 3 vertical spots of paint, line trees with one spot of paint.  No legal requirement as to paint color. And sometimes just "no tresspassing" signs facing to the outside of the property. Then you get the landowner that puts these signs 50 or 100 feet or more inside his property, which confuses everybody into thinking that's where the property line is.

Phorester

This is a standard paragraph I include in all of my management plans:

A Virginia law now makes it possible to legally post your property to prohibit hunting, fishing, or trapping with the same paint marks used to identify the property lines if the paint marks are applied in a particular fashion.

Section 18.2-134.1 of the Virginia Code requires that "each paint mark shall be a vertical line of at least two inches in width and at lease eight inches in length and the center of the mark shall be no less than three feet nor more than six feet from the ground or normal water surface.  Such paint marks shall be readily visible to any person approaching the property".  The paint must be aluminum in color.

Hunting, fishing, and trapping are still allowed on such property by anyone with written consent from the landowner or in the presence of the landowner.

This law does not cover general trespassing such as walking, horseback riding, etc.  To cover this type of trespassing, Section 18.2-119 requires a sign saying "NO TRESSPASING" be posted. Such posters must be signed by the landowner.

Aluminum paint mark and posted sign to both mark property lines and prohibit hunting and other trespassing.  Such posters must be signed by the landowner

ronnie tucker

hacks and blazes will show as long as the tree stands.that is the best way to permanently mark a line in the woods.

beenthere

QuoteA Virginia law now makes it possible to legally post your property to prohibit hunting, fishing, or trapping with the same paint marks used to identify the property lines if the paint marks are applied in a particular fashion.

Appears this posting method could be easily confused with a property boundary line, if an owner was just out putting up no trespassing signs without regard to location of line.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Phorester

[/quote]

Appears this posting method could be easily confused with a property boundary line, if an owner was just out putting up no trespassing signs without regard to location of line.
[/quote]

That is the point I made in an earlier post.  Signs that are put in the interior of a property, off the property line, are confusing.

If a landowner marks his property lines using this law, the aluminum paint marks take legal precedence over any other paint or signs.  It is the property boundary line.

g_man

I have an elderly neighbor who just became a widow last summer. She and her 4th grade grandson posted her land this year. They put the posted signs up with roofing nails on my side of the line.  ???  She is a nice lady. I didn't have the heart to say anything. I think the signs will "blow away" over the winter and I will offer to do it for her next year. I'll get Jasper the grandson to help me.

Ironwood

I had one nieghbor post our boundry (older growth on my side, juvenile on his) on MY nice large trees with BIG nails >:( :(, YEEESH, I asked nicely for him to put the signs on posts and if he NEEDED the post I would GLADLY supply them......

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

chain

We've had considerable 'boundary tree attrition in the last decade. Windstorms, ice storms, diseases have taken their toll on many line trees.

So many destroyed trees that I now carry a compass and scope and flag off the line to a distant known marked line tree then back-track with tape. I  paint  and sometimes tie purple heavy duty tape to new line trees. Purple is Missouri's no-trespass color.

When we cross old trails or corners we put extra paint and really 'doll-up' to give notice to would be trespassers.

But sometimes, no matter what we have done in a clearly defined boundary or even fence-line, a overly-possessive , usually 'new landowner', will destroy the line or fence.

Thank You Sponsors!