iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Lightning

Started by Magicman, December 10, 2012, 06:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

As the storm passed through early this morning, lightning popped and down went the internet.  No wireless or wired.  Since such things do not seem to correct themselves, I finally punched enough buttons to finally get a tech support guy on the phone.  It took over an hour with him telling me what to do, me finally understanding what he told me to do, and then me finally doing what he told me to do.  Those guys are so knowledgeable.

The wireless modem had to be totally taken down and reinstalled from scratch.  Signal bars are a good thing.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Lucky you didn't have to replace it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jasperfield

I live in one of a very few places where my only source of internet service comes from the Electric Membership Cooperative.

My internet signal rides on the ground wire of my electric service. When the power is out the internet is too. Yes, it's inconvenient, but it's out of service only rarely.

Magicman

Yesterday when things started popping again, down it went.  I worked with tech support and reprogrammed the modem again.

Now I am thinking, something has to happen.  Off I went to the ATT place and got a new/different modem which was defective out of the box.  Back again and this time I got the brand of wireless modem that the tech support guy recommended; NETGEAR.  The installation was straight up with no hiccups.  I did have to call to get my access code changed to something that I could remember.

Anyway, I'll just have to see if this one still floats with a storm brewing.

It's good to have friends/people in high places, because at least it did not cost anything.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

When you say modem, do you mean Router?  We just got a new netgear router, as the old cisco/linksys could not penetrate our living room's force field. For some reason, we could have wifi clearout in the yard, or the other end of the house, but right on the other side of the wall from the router, nada. The new one does a great job. I can now look at any movies or pictures on any of the house computers, or smart phones on the tv. Also Youtube, and all the other online video sources. Last night I watch on Vimeo, Jacob's "The making of a tool"  :)

Magicman

Yup, it's the modem, router, wifi, and whatever else.  We had to look through several boxes to find a netgear, but since that is what the tech support guy recommended, that is what I wanted.

I got my signed copy DVD from Jacob with the videos on it.  Since I have two of his tools, I just wanted it as a memento.

Jeff

Did you see he has a new birth of a tool video? The making of a Damascus knife.

Magicman

I had not, but I have now.  Amazing, and no wonder that Damascus cost more. 

It was neat watching that video because many of the steps were the same as building my knife.

thurlow

Started out with Cisco routers;  they would last about a year and no amount of tinkering would make them continue to work.  Changed over to Linsky's;  first one out-of-the box was bad;  exchanged it for an identical one and it's going on its 3rd year with no problems;  not familiar with Netgear;  if/when this'n quits, I'll give a Netgear a try..........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Raider Bill

Quote from: thurlow on January 11, 2013, 11:23:05 AM
Started out with Cisco routers;  they would last about a year and no amount of tinkering would make them continue to work.  Changed over to Linsky's;  first one out-of-the box was bad;  exchanged it for an identical one and it's going on its 3rd year with no problems;  not familiar with Netgear;  if/when this'n quits, I'll give a Netgear a try..........

Here at the office it went the other way. Continuous problems with Netgear, went to Sisco they all cleared up>
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Jeff

Cisco and Linksys are the same company.

drobertson

MM, you guys seem to be in or near the bull's eye on the last few storms!  sorry about that. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

Jeff, I've found that the wireless router signals get stopped cold by masonry and to a lesser extent plaster walls.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on January 11, 2013, 05:07:07 PM
Jeff, I've found that the wireless router signals get stopped cold by masonry and to a lesser extent plaster walls.

Yep here too and we are not using office depot quality gear.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Warbird

There is a vast difference between Cisco "SOHO" gear (small office, home office) and their enterprise line.  Linksys was a good company until Cisco bought them.  I've not thought much of their products since that time.  That said, I'm a huge fan of Cisco's enterprise level gear.

Glad you got 'er figured out, MM.

thecfarm

We had a Netgear something so I could tether off the wife's Internet. Until we found out tethering GOBBELS up her megabytes, or what ever that stuff is and I do mean GOBBLES.She can be on that thing for hours and hardly use much,she also had a lap top and tried to tether on that too. WOW!! gobble,gobble,gobble.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

We finally took the plunge at work and bought an enterprise level model from Cisco, so far it's lasted 2 years without any problems.

For the house I use an Asus model but tend to go cheap as I know it's just a matter of time before lightning or they just die on their own.

Al_Smith

My daughter with all good intentions bought me a Kindle Fire for a Christmas gift .

Now good old dad can fly around an industrial program for things like robatics controls but I'm not a technoweinie by any figment  of the imagination .However after several days of Googling and fiddley farten around I did manage to half figure out the older Linksys router .

Now it seems I must somehow learn some patience in dealing with a tiny little thing evidently made for the fingers of a young teenaged girl not some burly blacksmith type clumsy oaf .