iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How are working Christmas gifts

Started by davch00, December 10, 2012, 05:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davch00

I was wondering how many of y'all are making Christmas gifts this year and if so, what are they?

I'm currently working on 3 Adirondack style patio gliders much like the one Tree Feller made a few months ago. I showed my girlfriend and she loved it and said I want one. She also said my grandparents and both of your sisters would like one, you should build some for their Christmas presents.

I thought I was ahead of the game this year as I had all the materials collected by Thanksgiving weekend but the day job is slowing me down with overtime. I hope to get some pictures within the next week or so.

Dodgy Loner

I'm making a rocking chair for my daughter and a bread bowl for my wife. A knife for my brother-in-law and picture frames for my brother. Probably be another item or two before it's all said and done. My day job slows down my shop time as well, but without my day job I wouldn't have a shop, so I'm not complaining :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Lud

I made six sets of candle sticks as a customer wanted 3 sets.  Sent one set to the gallery.  Then the customer asked if he could take all five sets if they were'nt spoken for....... and I said,

"Take all you wan't ,   we'll make more...." 8) 8)

I love it when they slap down those Franklins! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

I am making an oak night table for a bedroom, a cherry blanket chest (see thread on this project in Woodworking Board), and a kitchen work island. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

My projects are less ambitious!    I am making a yarn swift, an additional table leaf and yet to be started picture frame.  Seems the only time I take/make time to do projects is during Christmas.  I like it!

Axe Handle Hound

More cutting boards.  Seems as though they're the only thing anyone ever asks me to make!

Tree Feller

I'm making craft type gifts this year.

So far I've made a couple of Yahoo game boards, some duck calls, some bolt-action cartridge pens and several wine bottle stoppers.

A guy at work wants one of those patio gliders to give to his dad for Christmas but also knows it will be post-Santa before I get it built and delivered.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on December 10, 2012, 10:13:36 PM
More cutting boards.  Seems as though they're the only thing anyone ever asks me to make!

Holy Moly! I can see why! That's incredible, I want one too! 8)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Don K

Love the cutting board!! What species of wood?

I am making 8 hickory bucksaws that break down and store in a canvas bag for all the male relatives I have. A hand turned pen, ice cream scoop and pizza cutter for my daughter. Didn't have time to make her heirloom quilt stand, shuffling that to Feb. for birthday. Gotta tighten up. Time is short. I always do this to myself. ::) :(

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

I am running scared.  The clock is ticking........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Boxes!

Nick has more insects that need mounting so I have several "curiosity" boxes for him. 

And Zach has a comic book collection that needs a stylish storage box. I have a piece of wood I set aside years ago that is perfect for this project.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Axe Handle Hound

Holy Moly! I can see why! That's incredible, I want one too!
Thanks Dodgy.  It's really just a play on the grain in a single wide board.  I cut it into strips, rotate the strips 90°, and glue it back together.  Then I repeat the process cutting across the grain so I end up with an end grain up board (the one in the photo is actually an edge grain up board).  My main problem is that no one will use them once they get them!  By the way, I've been following the bread bowl thread and am interested to see your final photos.  I recognized the Roy Underhill factor in that project right away.  Always wanted to make one myself, but just haven't had the time. 

Love the cutting board!! What species of wood?
Thanks.  It's good old hard maple. 

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: WDH on December 11, 2012, 07:51:38 AM
I am running scared.  The clock is ticking........

We always knew it was Christmas Eve when we saw dad using the hair dryer to cure the varnish on his woodworking projects!   :)

pineywoods

Building the daughter a replica of an old pirate treasure chest. Gonna be close on the timing.. pics and details in the woodworking forum..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

haywire woodlot

Quote from: WDH on December 10, 2012, 09:48:50 PM
I am making an oak night table for a bedroom, a cherry blanket chest (see thread on this project in Woodworking Board), and a kitchen work island.
Hey Danny, I'd love to hear more about that work island. I,'m picking up my lumber from the kiln tomorrow, and that is what I 'm planing to build for our place.

The kitchen island was supposed to be done for Christmas, but there was a 3 week delay at the kiln. I have been warming up on the usual cutting boards and jewellery boxes for Christmas gifts.
Dave

davch00

QuoteI am running scared.  The clock is ticking........
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Besides the 3 patio gliders I have a couple of flower boxes to make.

GeorgeK

Awesome cutting board. I like making thse. Planning on some chairs after the first of the year. but I have also made cutting boards and a routed bowl

George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on December 11, 2012, 09:00:30 AM
By the way, I've been following the bread bowl thread and am interested to see your final photos.  I recognized the Roy Underhill factor in that project right away.  Always wanted to make one myself, but just haven't had the time.

I haven't done any more work since the last post, unfortunately. My most complicated project of the season will be the rocking chair for my daughter, so that has been consuming most of my shop time lately. I got it glued up two nights ago, so now all I have to do is some final sanding and then a finish. Oh, and then I have to process some white oaks splits and weave the seat. Should be done in a jiffy :D

Clock is ticking....

WDH

Quote from: haywire woodlot on December 11, 2012, 09:38:01 AM
Hey Danny, I'd love to hear more about that work island. I,'m picking up my lumber from the kiln tomorrow, and that is what I 'm planing to build for our place.

Haywire,

Very similar to this one. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58511.msg851424.html#msg851424

jueston

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on December 11, 2012, 09:00:30 AM
My main problem is that no one will use them once they get them!

thats the case with my gifts too, i'm making a couple cutting boards, and then i make bookmarks out of the scraps which are just some tiny rips glued up then cut thin to show all the layers. everyone loves to get them, but then never use them.

metalspinner

Just finished one set of boxes for my oldest boy. ;D

These we call "Curiosity boxes".  They are explained here...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,54869.msg791709.html#msg791709

Some of the woods used are QS mahogany, redheart, canary wood, ebony, birds eye maple, QS sycamore, spalted maple, spalted beech, and purple heart.

It sure is fun mixing and matching ;D

Here you can see the plexiglass cover under the sliding lid.  The little holes on the edge of the plexi are for brads.  After he mounts a specimen, he will tack the plexi in place.

On the the next gift!   Tick-tock...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

You have some really incredible wood, ms. It's not always easy to combine different species and get the combination to look right, but you always do a fantastic job of matching the colors and the grain. Those are some beautiful boxes that will be treasured heirlooms for sure!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: samandothers on December 10, 2012, 10:10:12 PM
My projects are less ambitious!    I am making a yarn swift,

I have made them as well and I think TexasRanger has. There are all kinds of styles out there. Be interesting to see yours. Mine is 19th C style from Ed Worst's book on "Foot Powered Loom Weaving". He had no plans, just a photo. I researched it further off the net. My loom build thread has some pictures and a video or two.

Been making blankets and scarves. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Chris,

Beautiful boxes from beautiful wood  8).  You continue to amaze me!

SwampDonkey

Yes, that is a nice combination of wood in those boxes. Missed them when I posted from the first page.

Very nice job. Gotta love that birdseye.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!