iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crossbows

Started by Ron Scott, December 09, 2012, 10:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

I never had any interest in crossbows, and never thought that I would ever use one, but after having shoulder surgery a few years back, I only shoot a 48# bow draw. Lately with the late season cold weather, it has been getting somewhat difficult to pull and hold the 48#'s smoothly. Old age may have something to do with it also.  :(

Some associates have been advising me to try using a crossbow if I'm going to keep on hunting the late bow season, so i broke down and tried shooting a couple crossbow models at a major sporting goods store the other day while at a meeting there. I was amazed at their high speed and accuracy. They are really "tack drivers", but there are many styles and models, and they are quite pricey.

There has been some brief mention of crossbow use on other Forum Threads, but what are some preferred brands and models recommended for the ardent deer hunter for both on the ground and tree stand hunting? It seems that a cranking cocking system would also be beneficial for the older hunter with a bad shoulder when hunting from a tree stand.

Any suggestions and words of wisdom from the experienced crossbow hunters are appreciated.
~Ron

Jeff

I'm in the same place you are Ron.  I used Pete's crossbow a few days. I know one thing, I don't want his. Very heavy, a bear to cock, and not much you can do other than shoot it, to uncock it.  I want to find something light, and that had an on-board mechanism for arming-disarming. I'm afraid I better put one on lay away now in order to pay for it by next season.  I'm also going to get a recurve versus compound. There is an article/ad on the back of your 2012 Michigan hunting regulations for excalibur crossbows explaining why recurve. They sold me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

I shot the Excalibur and Ten Point at Jay's while I was there on Tuesday. I also watched the 1 1/4 hour video on the Excalibur. It is one of the lightest crossbows and has been in existence since 1986 and has very low maintenance due to the recurve-limbed design. The string can be changed very quickly in the field. The recurve limbs make it a little wider and I wonder on the ease of cocking for tree stand and weak shoulder hunting. I was impressed by it also.

The Ten Point has an "on board" cocking device, but is heavier, more complicated with the compound wheels, but also narrower which may be an advantage for hunting from a tree stand. It has only been in existence for a couple years though so wonder on its reliability. It has to go to the shop to have the string changed.

What make and model does Pete have?
~Ron

Cypressstump

The new crossbows today are simply amazing comapared to what I used before. I have a like new Barnett Wildcat 150# recurve crossbow. Bows today shooting upwards of 400 FPS are sick.

One thing to be aware of, there have been many,many new crossbow owners now missing thumbs from the knuckle joint to the fingertip. People not aware, while aiming for a shot, have put their thumbs in the strings' flight path resulting in a thumb being lost, and it's a nasty torn stump left..
Have fun, as with anything else, be careful!

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

WmFritz

Quote from: Cypressstump on December 10, 2012, 08:38:58 AM
The new crossbows today are simply amazing comapared to what I used before. I have a like new Barnett Wildcat 150# recurve crossbow. Bows today shooting upwards of 400 FPS are sick.

One thing to be aware of, there have been many,many new crossbow owners now missing thumbs from the knuckle joint to the fingertip. People not aware, while aiming for a shot, have put their thumbs in the strings' flight path resulting in a thumb being lost, and it's a nasty torn stump left..
Have fun, as with anything else, be careful!

Stump

That's a great point Stump.... I heard of that and can see it happening
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ron Scott

That's one of the first things that I was told. I notice that some models have guards on them to hold the supporting hand below the guard.
~Ron

chain

You need every safety feature made for a crossbow. I have a Exocet 200, can't imagine ever cocking it in a tree stand. One big thing I would change is the safety on/off, it is too easy to accidentally flip to off position. Crossbows are dangerous devices.

Ron Scott

That's an Excalibur, right?
~Ron

chain

Yes. Excaliber, otherwise an excellent crossbow.

treefarmer87

i have a parker safari thumbhole. its been a really good crossbow, i have taken alot of deer with it.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ron Scott

Is it easy cocking? Can you use it from a tree stand?
~Ron

treefarmer87

I got a hand crank because i only bow hunt in a stand. it has 150lbs draw, without the two cocking aids is is kinda hard.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Tom L

I own two crossbows, they are a lot of fun to shoot and tinker with

one is a middleton , like a excalibur with recurve limbs and the other is a scorpyd ventilator with wheels

the scorpyd is very light and very fast, tack driver for sure. killed 6 deer with it this year and it is easy to cock in the stand. only 150 lbs and short enough with the folding stock to redraw it in the tree.

I would say go for it, they are very fun to shoot and deadly in the woods.

not that much different than any modern day bow with 80 percent letoff and speeds over 350 fps

Corley5

I watched a show on the Outdoor Channel a couple years ago where they were hunting black bear in Ontario with Excaliburs.  I was sold on them then.  Fast forward to this deer season, the Excalibur Ad in the Michigan DNR game laws, the relaxed crossbow laws in this state,  a bit of my own research and I put an Excalibur Equinox on lay-away at Jay's in Gaylord this week.  I figure I'll get it just in time for archery season next year  ;D :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

A top of the line Excalibur. ;)
~Ron

Corley5

I got the Shadow Zone Lite Stuff package with the illuminated scope, rope cocking aid, quiver etc.  Jay's layaway program takes the pain out of it  ;) :)

Jeff

Tammy and the kids got me a crossbow for Christmas.  :)  However, it is the first time I have ever returned any Christmas present from anyone. I explained why, and they seemed to understand. I took the money to Jays in Clare today and was able to put a really nice down payment, and layaway an Excalibur Exocet crossbow with shadow-zone package.  I've not been in the Gaylord Jay's but a couple times, so don't know if they have the same facilitis as Clare, but I was able to cock, and un-cock, and shoot the bow several times on the range, to make sure it was what I wanted. :)

Ron, most of the Excalibur bows are on sale right now at the Clare Jays.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/uploads/manual.pdf

Corley5

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've always wanted a crossbow, but never got one. I'm afraid I would see the BIGGEST Buck I've ever seen and he would be standing 5 more yards than my bow would shoot.  >:(

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ron Scott

Jeff,

Are you going to bear hunt with it? What brand does Pete have, that you used during the late deer season?

I've also looked at the Ten Point and Carbon Express bands here at the FPS Archery Dealer, but he is all sold out until the new models come in. I'm amazed at the amount of crossbow sales in the local shops. I'm still trying to talk myself into one after I price them. ;) 
~Ron

LOGDOG

Ron,

I've been shooting and hunting with crossbows "with a permit" for 21 years now I guess. The entire time I've chosen Horton Crossbows and not regretted it. I can shoot 50 yards comfortably and usually stack the arrows shaft on shaft or at a minimum a super tight group. The durability has been awesome. They've needed nothing from me. I've actually taken far more deer with my crossbows than with rifles and I actually enjoy shooting the crossbow more. If I were to upgrade now, I'd buy either a Horton "Fury" or "Havoc". I really like the short, narrow chassis they're on. Yet they're built strong and they're fast and accurate. Some of these crossbows feel like you're holding one of those big styrofoam gliders that I used to have when I was a kid. Long and wide and bulky. When I'm up in a tree, or a house stand or a ground blind, I don't want to have to swing that around. Horton's always had a nice compact chassis that has allowed me to have lots of freedom of movement in pretty much every situation a hunter can encounter in 21 years of using them.

For me ... it's a Horton crossbow, Easton arrows, and Muzzy broadheads. That just my personal preference. Everyone has to find their own combination. Go find a store that carries Horton though and hold and shoot if possible the various models .... especially the Fury and Havoc. Compare the footprint of those to some of the others out there. You'll see what I mean.

Jeff

Ron, I was just telling Tammy last night that when I get another bear permit, I plan on using the crossbow to hunt, but that would depend on the day. I'd probably use a rifle if it was wet or raining.  I could not think of the name of Pete's crossbow, so I called him down in Florida, and he's brain dead this morning too.  He's going to call me if he thinks of it.  It was only $299, so it might be an off brand of some sort.  It did have a nice feature, that the bows I have looked at didn't, and that was an auto safe. When cocking, it automatically puts the crossbow on safety.

Magicman

Jeff, is there a problem with taking both the rifle and the crossbow, and then using whichever presented the best opportunity?  I realize the bulkiness of both, but I was wondering.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LOGDOG

Horton crossbows have the Auto-safety feature. As soon as you cock it, it brings the safety back into the locked position. I've never had a misfire in all the years of using them. Not one.

I was reading the regulations down here in LA the other day and I believe I read that we're not allowed to possess a firearm in the tree with us while we have archery equipment with the exception of like a .22 pistol or something for snakes. Might want to check the regulations in whatever State you're hunting to see what local laws allow.

Also wanted to mention that I do shoot some of the Horton carbon bolts as well in my crossbow. Mostly for target practice though. I prefer hunting with aluminum. Years back there were some article on the carbon arrows and safety concerns from them shattering inside the animal and the possibility of ingesting the fragments of the carbon. Something like that.... Anyway, I made the decision to hunt with the aluminum arrows and stay with them and it's been good. Plus I like to customize my arrows with custom fletchings and such.

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on December 29, 2012, 11:03:37 AM
Jeff, is there a problem with taking both the rifle and the crossbow, and then using whichever presented the best opportunity?  I realize the bulkiness of both, but I was wondering.

For Bear Hunting, I don't know of a law that would prevent it. I know I would certainly want a firearm if I had to track a bear hit by a crossbow.

Jeff

Thanks to Tammy, I was able to get my crossbow out of Lay-away already.  :)

I couldn't wait to get out and shoot it, but I felt awkward as all get out, as using a crossbow is a pretty new thing to me. I made a homemade target yesterday out of a polyester grain sack and some old clothes destined for rags. Packed them in as tight as I could, then closed it all up with duct tape.  I figured starting from about 15 yards, as I had no idea where the scope was shooting. When I picked it up, they went over it, re-tightening the scope, and quiver mounts and such. The first shot hit wide left, and the second missed it completely. We had no idea where it went. We looked all over for a sign in the snow, but didn't see anything. Thanks to Tammy's quick thinking, as for some reason it was slow to occur to me. We used my birthday present to help find my part of Christmas present.  ;D The metal detector the kids got me for my birthday that past year.  I threw another bolt down, and optimized the detector for  it, then I pointed the crossbow at the target again to try and get an idea where the bolt might hit if it went left or right, and we found it withing just a couple minutes. I decided I should wait until conditions are a bit more favorable to site it in, as those bolts are about 8 bucks a piece!

After watching the video clip Tammy took, I think the first step towards being proficient with the thing, is to GO ON A DIET! :-\ As you will be able to see on the video, that target works quite well. The crossbow is a 200 lb draw, and shoots at 330fps, it stopped the arrow easily, and better yet, the bolt comes out really easy.

http://youtu.be/zhvHpgMdOn8

ely

couple of things, do like stumpy says and keep your fingers and thumbs out of harms way, i have several friends that have numerous problems with their appendages due to crossbow misusage and basic stupidity... i dont have a crossbow, but if i did i would have a practice bolt to shoot into the ground to unload it.

the other thing jeff, i have a jacket like that one... only smaller... a little... about your diet, dont worry as much about the diet as getting more active, try shooting the crossbow more and more often it will help both ways.

Jeff

I'm pretty active. :)  Once thing about this bow, the grip is sized where even if you put your fingers straight up on the forearm, they won't be in the path of the string. I'm most leery about placing the bolt.

treefarmer87

ron, that carbon express is a really nice crossbow also, i was thinking of purchasing one for next bow season :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ron Scott

Jeff,
Did you have Jay's sight it in for you for 20 yards? I believe I shot that Ecalibur model in the store and it hit the Bull dead center and the others that I've shot so far were right on in the shop. Their accuracy is what has caught my interest and impressed me as I paid no attention to them before.

~Ron

Jeff

I'm going back to Jays this morning.  I'm a bit miffed at one guy there. I hope he isn't there.  When I shot the bow, it was a little off. He told me when I got it out of lay-away, we would go through it and tune it up.  When I went back to get it, there were different guys there, and when I told the guy that waited on me about the other guy saying they would look it over before I took it home, he acted like I was from mars. He finally said, well I'll take it in the back and look it over. About 10 minutes later he comes back out and said that my scope was lose, and he tightened it up, but never gave me any opportunity to shoot is some more. I think he screwed something up.

I've shot the bow 6 times at 15 yards.  Three sets of two. The same thing has happened every time. The first shot is wide left by about 3 or 4 inches, the second shot goes wide right and misses the target. I've had to use the metal detector 3 times to find the bolts in the snow.

Tom L

Quote from: Jeff on December 31, 2012, 03:45:58 PM
I'm pretty active. :)  Once thing about this bow, the grip is sized where even if you put your fingers straight up on the forearm, they won't be in the path of the string. I'm most leery about placing the bolt.

Jeff, you have to watch your fingers when loading an arrow. in your video you had your fingers on the rail pushing the arrow into position, try to grab the arrow up by the tip, lay the arrow on the rail and keeping your hand away from the end of the arrow, push it into the trigger. this way if a misfire happens only the fletching will get you. with your fingers on the rail. if a misfire happens , the string will remove parts that you want to keep. happened to a friend of mine and he is missing parts now on the tops of two fingers . you can also make up a push stick , once the arrow is on the rail, us a push stick to seat the nock . be safe.

Jeff

Just got back from Jays.  Two problems on why I was not being accurate. I'm going to blame them both on the guy that didn't want to take the time with me after the purchase to go over the things that the guys did today. They were great today.  First, the scope had been moved a bit when he took it back and said it had to be tightened. The second thing, was because of the way I was attaching the cocking aid. I was not positioning the two sides against the stock assembly, but hooking them out on the string a bit. Anyhow, After spending only 15 minutes there, with a little instruction, and a scope adjustment, I was shooting within an inch of the center of the Bulls-eye offhanded on the 20 yard range.  :)

Tom, I'd been instructed today, to NOT handle the bolt by the tip on my crossbow. The string slides on the rail, and if it were to go off somehow, you don't want the tip of the bolt in your hand, you want the middle, plus you obviously want to handle everything above the string when loading.

Raider Bill

Any reason to go to Jay's is a good thing.... I love that place 8) 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Jeff

As I was going out the driveway, I said to Tammy "DRAT! I forgot to pickup some bow string wax"  She said" Well turn around and go back."  I said "Nope, It gives me a good excuse to go back later," :)

Their Taxidermy department has some really cool stuff going on right now. They have a very cool full deer mount. It is mounted as if it is hanging from a scale, from a tree.  I didn't think to go up and see what they had the weight set too.  They also have a giraffe from the shoulders up. It sets on the floor, and is still 4 or 5 feet over my head. :)

Raider Bill

I hope one day to take my Son [Wildbill] there while attending the Pig Roast together!
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

drobertson

Nice bow Jeff, my father in law got one similar, 175# recurve, we did the same as you for a few shots, at least we did'nt have the snow, but a brutal wind chill. These things sure spit the bolts aye?  good luck in the woods!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Scott

Jeff, Glad that it was a quick fix. I was going to mention the cocking method may have been throwing the bolt off center as I'm told that is why they don't recommend hand cocking them. The string has to be properly centered when cocking to maintain accuracy.

Did you watch the entire Excalibur DVD that Jay's have ? A good video on the crossbow use.
~Ron

Corley5

Jay's ROCKS 8) 8) 8) 8)  My crossbow is under the stairs in its box unassembled.  I got it off layaway and need to take it back to have it assembled.  They were backed up when I got it before Christmas.  You're shortening my learning curve Jeff  8) ;D :) :) 

Jeff

Ron, you get a DVD with a new bow. I did watch it, but it didn't include that cocking tip.  The Excalibur website has a bunch of videos on it. That is when I discovered the owner of the Excalibur company looks just like Chet. :D

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Cypressstump

..."Impressive mustach."...   
Shore is,,, he'd best keep that hair curled the right way, lest it get snatched  towards the end of the croosbow.... Ouch ! ::)
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Raider Bill

Quote from: Cypressstump on January 02, 2013, 03:51:22 PM
..."Impressive mustach."...   
Shore is,,, he'd best keep that hair curled the right way, lest it get snatched  towards the end of the croosbow.... Ouch ! ::)

Chet's a impressive Guy!

PCM's got nothing on that stash! ;D

Magicman

It is good that you got a competent salesperson at Jay's to identify possible problems and offer solutions.  I am looking forward to seeing your first "Robinhood".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

:) Well, having a crossbow doesn't put any more deer on my property, it just makes it possible to spend more time looking for them. :)

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on January 02, 2013, 11:46:56 AM

Their Taxidermy department has some really cool stuff going on right now. They have a very cool full deer mount. It is mounted as if it is hanging from a scale, from a tree.

Visited Jays today and got a poor photo of the hanging mount. They had a lot of stuff in the way, and this was the only angle to get to it.

beenthere

That is a nice mount.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

I've never seen a mount like that, but I really like it. :) After reading this entire thread, it has me considering a crossbow, too. My shoulders are about shot, and I'm starting to get arthritis in them too, especially the right one. VA started allowing crossbows for the past five years. It's been getting harder each year pulling that string back on my bow practicing a few times each week, and I only pull 54#.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LeeB

Thought I would open this one back up. Just made a deal on a Barnett Penetrator along with a couple of other projectile emitting devices and wondered if anyone had an opinion about it?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

LeeB
I don't know anything about the Barnett Penetrator. What can you tell us about it?

I am looking at a Mathews Crossbow, and think I like the MXB-360 the best. Feels to have better balance but I have not fired it yet, nor looked real close at it.

They won't let me use it for the fall deer season to see if I want to buy it.   ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I can look it up. I haven't seen it yet in person. I actually wanted the other items in the package deal, so took the bow also. I've been wanting one anyway, so all is good. Getting it from a guy that used to work for me along with a Remington 870 20G and a Barretta PX4 9mm.

Chuck White

I bought a few chances on a 10-Point cross-bow outfit at the Boonville Woodsmens Days festival and the drawing is Oct 5th.

All I can do is "hope", I've never won a raffle! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

I think the Crossbow Mission MXB-360 will follow me home tomorrow...  8)
south central Wisconsin

Ron Scott

Sounds like a good choice. I went to a Carbon Express Covert SLS last year.
~Ron

pappy19

I had never shot a crossbow until I worked in Ohio a few years ago and the Excalibur boys were at local fair. I got to shoot one and was amazed at the accuracy I got even just standing and shooting 40 yards. I don't have one, but if I ever do buy one, for sure it will be an Excalibur.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

gimpy

Because of 4 shoulder surgeries, I had to give up my vertical bows. Since I never seem to shoot without a rest, a few years ago I bought a Stryker (405fps) with a 3 dot scope. 20/40/60yds, spot on the dots.

Then I moved to Oregon. Not allowed to use a crossbows for any game animals.

Went back to hurting my shoulders with my rifles. The last two years I haven't bought a hunting license.

But I still shoot the x-bow and have mastered longer distances than the scope is designed for.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

terry f

Oregon almost let the disabled use crossbows last year, but it got shot down, afraid of the slippery slope that Washington ran into. It will never be part of archery season, but may get lumped in with rifle season or get their own someday, but I doubt it.

gimpy

Personally, let me use it during rifle season. I can't use a bow any longer because of my shoulders. Plus, I would really prefer to hunt my property without scaring all the rest of wildlife away. I am trying to make my property wildlife friendly. Not for hunting purposes but just because I enjoy watching them do their thing. Let me cull the ones that need culling without disturbing the rest.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Jeff

In Michigan, you can use your crossbow during firearm season, you just have to obey firearm season rules including bag limits and the blaze orange rules

red oaks lumber

wisconsin anyone can archery hunt using a crossbow,it use to be if you had a disablity  or unable to draw a regular bow. seems to kinda take alot of the challange out of bowhunting. :) my opinion
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

Quoteseems to kinda take alot of the challange out of bowhunting

rol
How so?

Now that I have made the switch, I think there are equal but different challenges. Not convinced I made the right decision to switch.
south central Wisconsin

terry f

What are the challenges you face with a crossbow Beenthere? I think the using seniors and disabled to open the door for crossbow use speaks for its self.

Thank You Sponsors!