iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford 555B 4WD Extendahoe

Started by ET, December 09, 2012, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

I just picked up a well used Ford 555B backhoe for use around the farm. Mainly wanted it to clean up rocks, boulders and hundreds of yards of dirt from the demolition of an old 150 year old bank barn. I also need it to manhandle my big logs of which I have maybe 30 or more that need sawed up but I can't move them. Any help with understanding the 555 from a maintenance standpoint and using one for log handling would be greatly appreciated.
Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

ET

I forgot to ad the pics, hope they appear.

Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a 555C. From the maintenance stand point, just change the oil on time, and grease all fittings, especially the front wheel bearings. I keep a battery maintainer on mine at night. These are diesels, and will need all the amps it can pull to crank in cold weather.

Also, you should consider getting a set of forks made to go on the front of the bucket. I had 3 hooks welded to the top of the loader. When I want to use my forks, I just tilt the loader bucket forward and hook up the forks and never get off the Backhoe.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ET

David, thanks for the feedback. I think this 555 was not maintained well. It's really dirty, all the grease seeks look hard as mortar. We had trouble getting it loaded for our trip home today. It runs great on the horizontal but as soon as we started climbing the trailer ramp it quit. We checked for hydraulic oil and the transmission was completely dry. We ended up putting 5 gal oil in and with the help of the hoe we got it on. A pic of your fork set up would be nice. Do you use the forks for log handling? 
Ernie

thecfarm

As least it was greased. I've seen some tractors that look real clean,too clean,around the fittings. I have grease around my fittings.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Grease !!!   :o   All of my old backhoe pins look like wiggling pins in wobbling holes.

You will get it Ernie.  It needs TLC.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sandhills

I tell ya what ET, you let me check that thing over, grease it up/check all fluid levels, filters, etc etc, hmmm, I'm guessing I could have her back to you within, oh maybe a year or two, but quality control is number one with me (I have to be sure it all works properly of course). ;D 

Okrafarmer

I hope it works out for you, ET. You wouldn't be the first person to learn about a major problem while loading the tractor you just bought onto the trailer.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

slider

We have one similar to yours only 2 wheel drive.Just had the fuel pump built and it was around 650 with us taking the pump to them.We are going to upgrade to a 4x4 soon.
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ET on December 09, 2012, 09:49:40 PM
. A pic of your fork set up would be nice. Do you use the forks for log handling? 
Ernie

I handle all logs over an 8 inch dia. with the forks. My 555C has a 4 in 1 bucket. Any logs 8 inches and down, I just open the jaws on the 4 in 1 bucket and bite them and pick the log up.

Here are pics of the forks.

I had a friend weld hooks on top of the bucket.

I had a set of beefed up forks built to match the hooks.

Just tilt the bucket foward and drive the hooks under the top bar of the forks

And now I am able to pick up some nice sized logs and set them right in front of the mill.

If I could offer another piece of advice.....on top of the hood, there is a door thats lifts up where you can add water to the radiator or add HD fluid to the fluid tank. When adding hydraulic fluid, try not to spill any. The fluid will run down on the radiator making it greasy. If this happens, it won't take long for dust to stick to the radiator  causing the backhoe to over heat quickly.

Happy Back hoeing !  :)

ET

David,

Wow, thanks for that comeback.  Your friend looks like to be an expert welder; those hooks were precision welded.  My buzzbox with me at the controls can get the job done but not like that.  I'm not sure if the forks on my JD Compact are the same size as a full sized tractor would have.  If so I could make a set with what I got, but I bet they may be too small to do an adequate job.  Also thanks for the heads up on the radiator fluid and hydraulic oil issue.  It's still on the trailer fresh from the sale.  I want to get the tranny fluid and filter changed B4 taking it off, anticipating more problems.  I certainly hope its nothing more than a dirty filter and low hyd oil.
Ernie

giant splinter

ET
Your 555B looks clean and has every option except the 4in1 bucket and flip over forks, you can move logs without forks and if you are moving long logs up to 33 feet or longer.   There is an easy way to move them over to your mill or staging area. I have moved long logs with my 755B by driving up along side of the log and lower the stabilizers and loader bucket to the ground. With the loader bucket flat on the ground - rig a short chain from the hook ring on the loader bucket (upper back / outer edge of bucket) then fix your log (lifting) tongs to the chain and grab the log so you can raise it just off the ground (if you don't have lifting tongs) rig the chain around the log.
You are now ready to rig up the back, swing your backhoe out and beyond the log and gently roll it up on the top of the stabilizer right at the outer end avoiding the chrome hydraulic rod and attach the log with a chain or short choker where the chain hook bracket is. Return the backhoe to transport mode position, raise the stabilizer just high enough to avoid hazards and lift your loader bucket off the ground about a foot so the log clears any obstructions and you are ready to roll. It might be necessary to raise the log to clear your front tires while turning or traveling to avoid rubbing in the tires, otherwise you will want to carry your load low. This also works well with two logs (one on each side of the tractor) and does not take up a wide swath when to are in a narrow space like the forks holding a log transverse to your direction of travel. You can see everything without dealing with a loader bucket or a huge log blocking your view. If you get a couple pairs or tongs and its safe enough an area to leave off the tie down chains, with a little practice you will be able to do this whole thing without getting off the tractor.
Always remember to be safe, and careful when there are people on the ground around your equipment.
roll with it

beenthere

giant splinter
That technique would make a good video.
Could you do that for us?
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

giant splinter

Beenthere
I would be happy to do that as soon as I get a little time at home.
roll with it

ET

Giant Splinter;

Thanks for that technique; sounds very plausable.  How much side weight would you think the 555 could tolerate safely?  I've got some big ones that may way into the thousands.

Ernie :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ET on December 10, 2012, 05:15:38 PM
Giant Splinter;

Thanks for that technique; sounds very plausable.  How much side weight would you think the 555 could tolerate safely?  I've got some big ones that may way into the thousands.

Ernie :-\

Keep your camera with you.  :D

giant splinter

ET
The 755B is a little bigger and heavier machine than the 555B. The largest log that I have moved was a red fir 33 feet in length and 28" in diameter at the small end, not sure of the weight but it would be in the 16#/cu.ft. ballpark, that was my largest and it was close to limiting out my backhoe as far as the tires and safety considerations are concerned. I suspect that you could safely move a twenty footer with a small end diameter of about 24" with yours without causing any damage to the rig. I strongly recommend starting with a light log for your first try just to help grasp the concept and if you set one on each side it balances out much nicer. Backhoes by design are very agile and used for all the tasks that the  manufacturers intended them to and a few things they would rather not know about. This sort of application may be one of the latter and the design engineers may take the position that a stunt like this might be a sure way to wad up a nice tractor. So start with a small one and be extra careful to insure your safety and the safety of others and your equipment. I forgot to mention that you can rig a short chains and leave the log hanging from the backhoe stabilizer and the loader bucket as well as the previous method if it works better for you. Remember to keep the logs close to the ground and always carry that kind of load low so you can get it to the ground quickly in case of a problem. As far as how much weight will hang off the side of a 555B I would say 1200 to 1500 lbs. would be a safe bet and I am sure that would be a conservative weight, if you counterweight the opposite side of your loader bucket with a little dirt and pick up a scoop of dirt with your backhoe bucket and swing it out a bit over the opposite side you will gain some lateral stability and the rig will handle better while moving. I never asked what distance you where moving these logs but I am sure that you have a trailer for the long distance logs. As David suggests have your camera there .... a picture is worth a thousand words, and I AIN'T shoveling snow to make a video so you need to wait till it thaws if you need me to do that :)
roll with it

ET

I went to our local heavy equipment supply house and picked up all new filters and fluids so to get my triple nickel off to a good start not knowing any history of the machine. Low and behold when I went to change the oil I found antifreeze; something that's not suppose to be there. Sounds like HG, cracked sleeve, or at worst a cracked block. The engine runs and sounds great.  I plan on first checking cylinder compression to check for cracked sleeve, and putting pressure on radiator while pulling oil pan and looking up at cylinders looking for a leak. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start tearing off the head.

Bandmill Bandit

corrosion around the sleeve base O rings causing a leak into the crank case that you wont be able to see with out pulling a sleeve. was not uncommon in those. Generally showed up on the 2 center sleeves on any that I ever saw.

A good dose of  a "good" rad seal (can you say that in the same sentence?) will cure it for a while.

I have repaired a couple of sleeves with that problem with JB weld and a very fine file to reshape the O ring grooves. The engine went another 2500 hours before I did a full rebuild including new sleeves. 

electrolysis is what I was told causes it but I dont recall what the cure is. Case 188s had that same issue but the hours were generally in the range of 5 to 7000 be fore you would see it.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

ET

Bandmill Bandit; thanks for your response!  Is the corrosion just on the wet side of the sleeve?  So your JB Weld was to the sleeve and not the block?  If so why not just put new sleeves in.  Also I like the idea of potential quick fix with radiator additive. Do you have a brand to recommend?  Sure would beat tearing into the engine.  Ernie

Bandmill Bandit

First time I did it budget and time was an issue so did an in frame quick fix with faith that it would get me through the season. Only parts I bought was gaskets. Lasted 2500 ish hours till I did a complete rebuild about 2.5 to 3 years later.

The corrosion was worst on the sleeve. It was just starting on the block when I did the quick fix. I did put JB weld in the grooves and sanded it smooth but the most work was on the sleeves. When i took it apart to do the rebuild there was not much of an issue but once I was aware of the problem I made sure I changed out the coolant every 1000 hours and kept the coolant conditioner on hand and used it. I also added a ground chain that drug on the ground. Dont know if this helped but apparently it is suposed to. When you got one end or the other in the ground all the time I wouldn't thing you'd need it but but the old feller that told me to do it had way more experience than I did at the time so I did it.

Ive  used the Bars Leaks product that Napa sells now. I dont know what I used back then. Also that stuff has an additive that helps reduce electrolysis issues too.

Mine was a 555.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

giant splinter

The 555B has a three  cylinder engine and a very heavy block,I suspect that the problem is in the oil cooler/heat exchanger. If you have compression or exhaust gasses in the radiator it might be the head gasket.
Those three bangers last for up to 10,000.0 hours in many cases and where hard to beat but a bit loud.
keep us posted so we all know how your doing.
roll with it

ET

Thanks for the great feedback!  I will certainly try the Barrs first. I have not seen any oil or exhaust coming out of the radiator.  I was able to get it into my boat bay with 10 by 10 door. Would have been a pain working on it outside. I just had my big (106') bank barn torn down and need to move tons of dirt to make way for my new barn, hense the need for the hoe. Thought about buying a dozer then selling when done but found this hoe but plan on keeping it for log handling too.

Piston

ET,
Congrats on the new machine!  I have a JD 410 backhoe which is similar in size, except it's only 2wd and no extendahoe  >:(  I find many times I'd like an extendahoe! 

I use the 410 anytime I encounter a log that's a little too big for my little 'bota.

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!