iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie from The Netherlands

Started by roghair, December 09, 2012, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roghair

This is my first post on this forum. I am Dutch an live in The Netherlands (what a surprise). I am building a small manual sawmill to mill the logs from my own property (as a hobby).
I put some some pictures on the gallery for those interested in my first attempts in this area.

Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome of course.
Best, from a rainy sunday afternoon in Holland.
built a sawmill

york

roghair welcome,

The bandwheels,are they all steel with slight crown?or do they have a belt or rubber outer surface?

albert
Albert

Lud

Welcome aboard,  as we say.  What kind of trees do you have to mill?  Some of us would think you don't need a sawmill to cut tulips! :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Magicman

Hello and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, roghair.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

roghair

Thanks York, Lud, Magicman!
The wheels are indeed covered with rubber which I slightly crowned. The saw stays perfectly on the wheels with the teeth (plus 1/8") over the edge. To replace the rubber I saw people using some kind of cork-rubber, which I used on the second wheel. The original rubber on this wheel was in bad shape, so I replaced it.
Lud, sometimes I think we should keep it with cutting flowers... But I will try to saw oak (N.A. red oak and European oak), accacia, beech, but mainly fir (pinus nigra, sylvestris, larch). I have WM blades with 10/30 profile, can I use this profile also for harder woods like accacia and oak?
built a sawmill

scouter Joe

Hi Roghair. Welcome to the FF from a fellow dutchman . I was born there but emigrated to Canada many years ago . Please make yourself some guards and install them before a blade breaks and you end up wearing it or accidently put some part of your body in harms way . scouter Joe

WoodenHead

Welcome Roghair!  My parents came to Canada from Holland (my dad from Heerenveen and my mom from around Dokkum).  My wife's parents were also born in Holland.  I have been there a few times to visit family.  It has been a while, so I can't remember what species of trees you have around there, but I do remember very strong winds at times and extremely flat fields (some of which are below sea-level).

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions, but again, welcome!

mikeb1079

welcome roghair.  your mill looks good!  yes you can use the woodmizer 10* bands on harder woods like oak and acacia but if they don't perform as well as you'd like some of us have had success running the 7 or even 4* bands.  post some pics of your land/trees   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Leigh Family Farm

Welcome to the Forum! Good luck with the mill!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

roghair

Thank you all for the welcome words and nice to see some of you have their roots in this small country below sea level.
I wont turn on the saw before I have the guards installed (I promised my wife). Welding the sheetmetel is not easy though with my arc welder.
mikeb, below is a picture I took on the property I bought a few years ago. It has 16 ancient "gravehills" from 3000 bc. These little hills are now national historical monuments and should be preserved for the future.

On the second picture you can see we are cutting the trees from the hill to renovate the 'grave' (you need a lot of fantasy to call this a grave). These are the trees I will saw as soon as the sawmill is ready.

The land is 27 hectare which is around 67 acre.

built a sawmill

redlaker1

I am not a sawmill expert by any means,   but just from looking at the pictures and comparing to mills I have seen and used,   it looks to me like the flat bed rails might accumulate some sawdust and give you problems.   all the ones I have seen had a thin edge that the wheels rode on,   so they wouldnt gather sawdust and start riding up on it.    maybe you could add some sort of sweepers so this doesnt become an issue.   

maybe you have used it enough by now and found that it wasnt a problem.

overall though it looks very sturdy,   some really good craftsmanship there...     enjoy

Okrafarmer

That is wonderful that you were able to buy some land. That is exciting. I look forward to buying a larger parcel of land myself some day in the future. That must be interesting to have those ancient graveyards on your property. Do the history professors or archeologists in your country know what nationality of people are buried there? Are they planning to do any excavations to explore the graves, or will they leave them as they are now?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

roghair

redlaker, you are so right, the sawdust with these wheels is simply impossible, but I wanted to save some money since I had these for free. I think you call this penny wise and pound foolish. I have replaced them with v-grove wheels (30 EUR each) and an angle profile. I will post some pictures soon.

built a sawmill

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Roghair!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

roghair

Hi Okrafarmer, what kind of land do you currently have, what are the prices per sq acre in your area?
The barrows are from the bronze ages; no nationalities back then I guess :)
I looked for some information, but hard to find in English. If you are interested this might give some insight.
http://www.cannockchasehistory.org.uk/_Tumuli.htm

built a sawmill

Okrafarmer

Quote from: roghair on December 11, 2012, 03:48:32 PM
Hi Okrafarmer, what kind of land do you currently have, what are the prices per sq acre in your area?
The barrows are from the bronze ages; no nationalities back then I guess :)
I looked for some information, but hard to find in English. If you are interested this might give some insight.
http://www.cannockchasehistory.org.uk/_Tumuli.htm

That is an interesting web site, Roghair!

Right now, my wife and I only have one acre of land, with our house on it. The price of land varies drastically in various parts of the United States. Anywhere from $500 or so per acre in some places, to many thousands or even a million dollars per acre in some highly sought after locations. Around my area of South Carolina, if you buy raw land of 20 acres or more, you can usually buy it for $8,000 to $12,000 per acre. However, if you get farther away from the city, the price drops. Where my parents live in Kentucky, you can get a 40-acre parcel for around $2,000 per acre-- $80,000. That would not include a house on it.

How about in the Netherlands-- how many Euros would you have to pay for land?

Jemclimber

It looks good, how big are the wheels? They look large from here. How wide can you cut?
Even going to V groove wheels you may still want to cover them and put some kind of scraper to keep the rails clean. My homemade CSM had V groove wheels and I was constantly picking out the packed sawdust to keep it rolling straight.
lt15

roghair

Thanks Jemclimber, the wheels are 25" and the max distance between the blade guides is 21". I think I can handle/saw a 24" log which is more than enough for the kind of logs a have. I don't have the equipment to move bigger logs around anyways.
I think you are right with the build-up of sawdust in the grove wheels; will make some kind of scraper. How do the commercial sawmills handle the sawdust on the bed and in the wheels?
built a sawmill

roghair

Quote from: Okrafarmer on December 11, 2012, 08:59:42 PM
How about in the Netherlands-- how many Euros would you have to pay for land?

It depends totally on the zoning plan of the land:
- nature-only land (woods etc) 1-3 Euro per square meter
- agrarian land: 5-10 Euro per square meter
- Land that allows you to build a house: 200-600 per square meter !!

So if you can change the zoning scheme from agrarian to "house allowed" you are a rich man :), but that seldom happens anymore.
built a sawmill

Okrafarmer

If Euros and Dollars were equal, it sounds like the nature-only land is a similar price to the same kind of land sold around my area, except that here, in many cases, it is not zoned, and they would let you build a house there.

We have more "nature" land available in most parts of the US, than there is in most of Europe, I think.  ;)

My wife grew up in northeast France, just on the other side of Belgium from you.  :)

redlaker1

if you look at the woodland mills website,  they have a pretty simple idea for wheel sweepers that looks like it would be pretty effective.    its basically just a piece of stranded cable thats frayed out on the end that rides on the wheels to scrape them off.     seems like it would work pretty well and wouldnt be hard to make.       I cut on an old norwood that used a piece of felt to clean the wheels,  but it ended up getting jammed up a couple times and made it really hard to push along.

Jemclimber

On my lt15 WM it has the wheels covered, with covered felt between, and on both ends a piece of plastic (appears to be lmw polyethylene) about 1/4" wide with the rail profile cut out to push the sawdust out of the way. The plastic pieces bolt on and can be adjusted for wear.

Those large 25" wheels should lesson the metal fatigue on your bands and hopefully make them last a long time. Very nice.
lt15

learner

We do three things when we change blades.  Clean the belts, blow all the sawdust out of the housings and run this little tool around the wheels to make sure nothing has built up under the belts.

We used molding clay to get the exact shape of the pulley.  Then just cut and ground a piece of 1/8" steel to fit it.  Be sure to de-bur it and make it smooth.  It breaks up and removes any build up.  And believe me.  Some woods make dust that WILL get under your belts.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Jemclimber

Great idea Learner, should post a picture of that nice tool in the sawmill mods. Thanks.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!