iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kauri Trees

Started by Ianab, December 09, 2012, 02:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG3MRSJhgsI

These are some small Kauri trees at a local reserve. They are not Endemic to this area, but will grow if they are sheltered from frost for the first few years.

Some cellphone pics

The Kauri trees are on the left of the shot here.

Kauri is a great timber, and as you can see the trees tend to grow with great natural form, shedding all the lower branches up to maybe 70 ft, and growing to a HUGE diameter. But this takes time, so they haven't taken off as a commercial (renewable) timber. 200 years to be useful, 400 years to a real mature tree, and a life span of 1,000+ years.

This is the lake at the Reserve.

Incidentally it's named after my great great great great grandfather who was pretty much the first European to settle in the area.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Those are among the coolest trees!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Barrett Reserve, Is this owned by a group of people or by the state or by NZ? I suppose someone planted these?  To be used for lumber or protection of the trees?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wheelinguy

My wife and I were in NZ about 6 yrs ago, on the north island, we visited  a Kauri museum and then the Kauri forest.  Both were quite impressive.  They were selling some of the wood that they used in the wood shop at the museum, but I couldn't figure out how to get the slabs I wanted into my carry on luggage! :)

drobertson

Nice photos Ianab! beautiful country you have there. I would love to make that trip sometime, price it, :( Man this land of yours is a ways down and over there!  take care,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ianab

Quote from: thecfarm on December 09, 2012, 08:01:59 AM
Barrett Reserve, Is this owned by a group of people or by the state or by NZ? I suppose someone planted these?  To be used for lumber or protection of the trees?

http://www.newplymouthnz.com/CouncilAtoZ/Projects/BarrettDomainManagementPlan.htm#3

The reserve is various parcels of land that have been added over the years. Some owned by the local city council, some by the Crown (Central Govt), but all managed by the city as a scenic / recreation area.

I think the Kauri trees may have been a forestry experiment, but I very much doubt they will even be harvested as they have become a land mark now. No one will want to cut them down after another 2-300 years...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Okrafarmer

So I guess it's up to you to begin plantations of them over thousands of hectares-- so that your Great-great-great-great-grandchildren will name a reserve after you!  :D

What are the properties of the wood like? I mean, you know, the mechanical and useful properties?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ianab

Yeah, that's about it  :D Bit of a long term project.

The timber is beautiful stuff, not sure what Nth American species it would compare to, maybe old growth Cypress. Been used for buildings, furniture, boats etc but most of the remaining trees are now protected in reserves, and any others by very strict logging laws. Because of the way the trees grow the good logs may be 90% clear timber.

Ian

Okrafarmer

I think you had another thread about it once where you showed some of the lumber. And the museum.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dodgy Loner

Those are very cool trees, Ian. I visited NZ in 2003. Mostly toured the South Island, but spent about a week on the North Island as well. I wanted to visit some of the old growth kauri forests, but I never made it that far north. I did see some very spectacular specimens of rimu and southern beech on the south island, though!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

I went Northeast up the coast from Nelson on the South Island, and the native forest there was awesome.  I especially liked the Rimu.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!