iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant Hooks

Started by Autocar, December 08, 2012, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I always leave tree length logs hang in my grapple then I buck them to length and as they drop off theres alway a few inches between then so I can scale them. This week rain was almost on me and I cut and skidded as fast as I could to get the logs out of the woods onto the landing and ended up with a dozen logs that were not buck. Yesturday morning the buyer comes and it was rainning so I had them bucked laying there in the feild,trying to get them apart to scale was impossible, I had a frost bar and a cant hook and both were pretty much usless, Ive dreaded cant hooks all my life I put a foot extension on the hook years ago so the hook would grab better in our big logs it still sucks. It was to muddy to use the skidder so I pryed and jerked and this morning my stomach feels like I did a hundred leg lifes  :D.
Bill

PC-Urban-Sawyer

You should try one of the big Logrite cant hooks. They are much better than other manufacturers...

NWP

I was too cheap to get a Logrite for a long time.  One of my log buyers uses one and it seemed to work good so I finally got one and am impressed with it.  I would definitely recommend one.  I'm surprised your log buyer doesn't have one.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

cutter88

i also bought the log rite at a logging exbo a couple years ago, very immpresive technolegy has done the cant hook well lol
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

thenorthman

I'll take a peavey over a can't hook any day, if its to small to hook you can always poke under it, get a longer handle, and whack it into the logs... get em to bite and they will bite harder the harder you pull...  gives a guy more respect for the oldtimers don't it
well that didn't work

Krieger91

Cant hooks are somewhat of a pain, but they're invaluable for what I do.

Has anyone used a "timberjack"? I saw this on Amazon, right next to a cant hook. It was basically a cant hook but with a leg of sorts attached to it, so when you role it, it'll stand a few inches off the ground for bucking.

Any personal experiences? Theoretically it would work, but I'm not sure...

Magicman

http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/60inch-Cant-Hook

Notice the universal log stand listed in the lower section of the page.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Log stand is a good idea.  Too many times I set my cant hook down, only to cover it with sawdust... just about takes a metal detector to find it!

Timberjack works ok for firewood, but not for bucking sawlogs.  It rolls the log as it lifts it, and some of those big boys don't want to roll.

If you don't want to replace another handle, try making one out of hedge (Osage orange)!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

beenthere

I too found using the jack just took too much time. Easier, faster to buck the log about 70-80% through along its length and then use the cant hook to roll the log 1/2 turn and finish each cut. Anything to keep the bar and chain out of contact with the ground.

And logrite's don't need handle replacements. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I'm still surprised that those that need a peavy or cant hook haven't actually gotten a good one by now. By good one I mean a Logrite. I hardly ever move a log, by by golly I have two Logrite peavies ready and willing.  :)

I just figured not having one in all the years some of ya's have been lurking on this forum is like being the last of the hold outs. Not even surprised if you try one of them cheap knock offs. But, you'll cave eventually. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Krieger91

So, basically, the general consensus is to skip the timberjack, and just use a cant hook. And to spend the money and invest in a Logrite, does that sound about right?

I have no idea how old the farmers is. He has one that he constantly refers to as an "antique". All I know is it's older than my 21 years and still going strong!

WDH

Yes, the LogRite is superior to the old cant hooks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NWP

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2012, 10:03:17 PM
Yes, the LogRite is superior to the old cant hooks. 

I'll second that.  I don't have a peavey, just a cant hook.  When I win the Christmas contest I'll have one though. ;D  :D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Tree Feller

I'm a born skeptic and pooh-poohed all the accolades I read about the Logrite cant hook...until I bought one.

It is without a doubt a superior tool. It's light, super strong and bites like a Loggerhead turtle except it doesn't turn loose when it thunders.

Everything that's been said about them on this forum still doesn't do them justice. It's just a well-engineered tool that works.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

SwampDonkey

We had wooden handle ones around here and the handles were always broke. Back then there was no Logrite. My uncle had replaced all the handles in his to with hornbeam. He mostly horse logged, never had a tractor nor skidder. But his way of logging at home was not production based. When he worked for others it was yarding mostly and could always keep up. But a  lot of that was for the natives who never worked based on production either. They all had a cheque whether they put up a load that day or not, mostly not.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

My Father used them wooden ones for years. he would tell me quite often,a steady strain. A quick snap and you'll broke that handle off. All the old tools we had around here,I never saw a broken handle on a peavey.
I want a Logrite so bad,I can taste it. But the money problem comes into play. I will get one,someday. Stay off my tractor for a few weeks and the money I saved on diesel,I could buy one.I hear of the trouble some of you have with a wooden handle one.I guess you need my Father standing over you telling you how to use it. No smiley face after that comment. He use to load trucks with the one I use.
I prefer a peavey,the one with a point,over a cant dog.The point can be used to pry the logs apart or to get under them to move them just a little and to stick it in the ground so it will stand up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

My understanding is that a cant hook is just that, designed for moving/turning cants and the peavey is designed for moving/turning logs.
I use both.
Don't have a logrite yet.
The only wood handle I broke was many years ago when I ran over my peavey with my Case 3000 track loader.
My dad made me a handle out of Oak and It is still in use.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

This was my pre-Logrite arsenal. The pipe handled cant hook in the center was properly arched and would really catch a log.  The handle is full thickness pipe and heavy.

I do still use the pipe handled peavey on the bottom but as a pry bar and the handle as a cheater pipe.  The handle is "race car" tubing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

Magic,

That solid bar one is what we call around here "Inmate Series" they cant break it and at the end of the day they are to tired to run away :) I paint all my inmate Series tools Jail House Gray, I have all sorts of shovels, rakes, pitch forks, and even loppers in Inmate Series  :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

I started out with two wooden 5' cant hooks.  They were heavy and hard to engage.  The thing about the LogRite is that it is much lighter than a wooden cant hook, but it is actually stronger and very easy to engage.  When you use it all day long, that equates to a huge difference.  Huge.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

You need to call Logrite and ask for the A.S.S.  It's the Arky Super Stick.  A mean lean turning machine that's 77" long.  Other cant hooks pale in comparison to this monster.  There's not a cant hook made that comes close to the size of this bad boy.

I don't think I ever met a log that I could not turn with it.  I suppose there might be some pre-historic log someplace that would give it trouble, but I don't want to mess with anything that big.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

The a.s.s won't turn a small log, the hook its too big!  I have two of the super sticks, they're awesome
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

mad murdock

Peavy is the way I roll ;D haven't ponied up the $$ for a Logrite yet, but I am sure one o these days I will get one, they do look like a good tool eh .  I have a home made timberjack, all steel, it is ok, but more of a pain than it is worth, I use BT's method, buck most the way through then roll and finish....a lot faster. :christmas:
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Or you could borrow this one from one of my customers.

Or this one.

WDH

Pass.  I pass. 

Life is too short to mill without a LogRite.

Thank You Sponsors!