iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning pitch off glass

Started by Ken, December 08, 2012, 05:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning pitch off of windows?  Glass cleaner just doesn't get the job done.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

CCC4

I'm assuming you are talking about sap coming off the head saw spraying on your cab windows? I used either Pine Sol or a mix of vinegar and ammonia, dampen some newspaper with the vinegar solution and use it to wipe your glass. If it is not below freezing in your area, boiling hot water and newspaper work good also followed by glass cleaner. Hope this helps.

thecfarm

I was thinking about Gojo,but it has pumice in it. Might be OK to try some in a corner with out rubbing hard. That pumice might scratch the glass if you rub it on hard. I like the Gojo because it can sit around for 6 months and still work real good. I know there are other hand cleaners out there without the abrasives in it.Than keep up on it with the vinegar.

I forgot to ask,is this a 2-3 weeks accumulation? Or just one day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

glass or lexan? last peice of lexan i bought it has a list of what to use. cant find the list but its on there web site. should be lexan with marguard

g_man

DO NOT USE GOJO - I tryed it on a pair of glasses (plastic lens) and ruined them. I know - stupid. Might be ok for glass but be careful.
Everyday I get covered with fir pitch. I use turpintine to clean my glasses then soap.

thecfarm

What about rubbing alcohol? I was out in the rain storm,dark out,and really had a hard time seeing. Almost like oil on the windshield. i stopped at the dollar store and brought a bottle of rubbing alcohol. It helped alot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

thecfarm- Rubbing alcohol, for me, didn't work too good  due to the rapid evaporation seemed to leave a haze. I tried it when in single digit temps and water would freeze as soon as it hit my glass.

thecfarm

Oh well,it helped at the time. Was almost as I might of got oil on the windshield or something. It was fine and than all at once it happened as I was drving.

Bobus2003

I have a can of Window Cleaner, and a can of Bug Remover.. Use the bug off to get the Sap and oil off the window, then use the glass cleaner for any residue left

thenorthman

Naptha, also known as Ronsonal lighter fluid...zippo uses something else now...

Hose er down wait a sec then rub it a bit with a soaked rag,  best to not be smoking... unless you like running around in circles screaming Holy (*&&^*$  &*()
I'm on &%$*&*( $*#@*#^ fire, put me the (*#&$ out....

do a test patch on lexan or plexi glass...
well that didn't work

1270d

Googone.   Its great for hard to remove stuff
http://googone.com/

MikeON

I once had a film of pitch on the north windows of my house, with pine trees close by.  Tried all kinds of window cleaner, alcohol, gasoline, etc. to no avail.  Finally tried Rain-X, not the cleaner but the ordinary stuff in the yellow bottle, and it worked great.  It helps keep windows clean for a while afterward too.  I don't remember if I tried vinegar, but it works well on camera lenses.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

gharrett15

Hairspray works well on skin. Never tryed it on glass.

Ken

Thanks for the replies.  I will try a couple of the suggestions.  Didn't have to worry about that today with snow changing over to freezing rain early this afternoon.

Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

redneck

googone worked great on my wife car window after I remove the ford sticker.  you can get it at canadian tire.  I would test it first on lexan
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

wdncno

I find if you let some vegetable oil sit on pitch for a while it softens and isn't as sticky. non toxic and cheap- just use windex or vinigar to remove oily residue

lumberjack48

[ LARD ]  When i was peeling balsam 55 yrs ago, i had pitch every where even in my hair, and yes, even in my underwear. Lard cleaned it up
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

jcbrotz

I cant believe nobody has said paint thinner it works great.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

g_man

Quote from: jcbrotz on December 14, 2012, 06:14:30 PM
I cant believe nobody has said paint thinner it works great.

Yes I agree. Thats what I use. Except I called it by the old fashioned name terpintine instead of mineral spirits.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

semologger

my friend uses furniture cleaner. me i just use glass cleaner and i get alot of pine sap all over my cab peeling pine post.

This reminds me of a story. A guy we had working for us. We was out in the woods working cutting pine and he asked us how we got pine sap out of our hair? We just looked puzzled. We said we just was our hair. And dawn dishwashing liquid to get it off hands. Dont ever get in our hair. Well he said he tried everything and he took off his hat he had chunks of hair missing. He said he just cut it out.  ::). wow i will never forget that moment. We all just about died cracking up.

rmack

Diesel on a rag?
Also, acetone has quite a bite to it. I think they sell it as gunwash in autobody supply houses.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

John Mc

Quote from: wdncno on December 14, 2012, 10:15:07 AM
I find if you let some vegetable oil sit on pitch for a while it softens and isn't as sticky. non toxic and cheap- just use windex or vinigar to remove oily residue

Vegetable oil is what I use to get it off my hands. A tablespoon full or so, rub it over my hands, then rinse that off with soap and water.  No real scrubbing involved.  I've never found anything that works better, and I've tired just about everything mentioned here.

I've never thought of trying it on a windshield...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ID4ster

Try some Avon "Skin-So-Soft" Dab some on the pitch or brush it on if you have a large area and let it sit for a few minutes. The pitch should come right off. S-S-S  will take pitch off your arms or out of your hair also. Another thing to try is a spray deoderant. That works real well for taking pitch off your arms or hands when there is only a small amount. Again, just spray it on let it sit for a minute or so and then scratch it and it should come right off. I think its the alcohol in the deoderant that does the trick but I've had better luck with the deoderant than just putting alcohol on it. The S-S-S will definitely work though.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

jcbrotz

oh ya what a bout good ol' WD40. I forgot that one till today when I gots some pine tar on my arm.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Thank You Sponsors!