iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bah Humbug, It Fruitcake Time Again

Started by Magicman, December 07, 2012, 06:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Some folks use them for doorstops, some for boat anchors, but for me, I enjoy eating my Claxton Fruitcake. 

PatD bought me one today.  Mmmmm...... food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ohsoloco

Chris Burchfield

My mother uses her mother's recipe for fruit cake cookies.  Only good stuff in them we like.  No yuck stuff like orange peel.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Chuck White

My Mom, at 83 still makes fruitcakes every Christmas season!

I love it, but some of my siblings don't care for it at all!

I like the store-boughten ones too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Buck

My grandmother used to make fruit cake cookies. Have ya'll ever had those?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Jeff

MM, is this your way of asking for an enema bottle for Christmas?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I wonder if you need to insure Fruit Cakes when you mail them  ??? ???    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I think its best you leave no paper trail.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

I would give any thing to have one of moms' fruit cakes for Christmas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Pass.  That candied fruit can be nasty.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

MM, I will enjoy a piece with you.  ;D Mom's fruitcake never lasted long, it was GOOD.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Yoopersaw

I love homemade fruit cake cake.  I'm also a lover of homemade German poppyseed rolls.  If only I could figure out my Dad's receipe, I'd have it made.

Axe Handle Hound

I'm in the pro-fruitcake camp as well.  Look forward to homemade fruitcake every year!

WH_Conley

I don't really have any good fruitcake makers in the family, usually try to dodge the ones that do and buy one.
Bill

thurlow

My mother made a fruitcake every Christmas for as far back as I can remember.....dark, moist, heavy....made in what we'd now call a bundt pan.  She's been gone a long time and I still miss the FCs.  Sam's Club sells the Claxtons like MM pictured..........3 one-pounders in a package.  We bought one about 3 weeks ago and it's all gone.  Was doing some shopping Saturday and bought 3 more (9#); put one in the cart, decided to get another one and swmbo said we might oughta get a third one.  We go to various pot-luck functions around this time of year and they're  a perfect dessert.  We're both afraid to open one of these up.........one pound won't last a day around here............

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Paul_H

I've tried to like fruitcake,would like to like it but the candied fruit doesn't agree with my taste buds.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

WH_Conley

Used to be a company around here called Rainbo Bakery, wonderful fruitcakes. They got bought up by a bigger brand, products substituted, you know the story.
Bill

beenthere

We have a local Church in the area that makes several hundred fruit cakes each year at this time, and we have bought several for friends who like them. I enjoy a bite or two (when I get to three then the sweet craze is long gone and I wish I'd stopped at two).

I've found there are good ones and those not so good. But unlike grits, you don't have to add the flavor to them.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

Do you reckon you could use fruitcake to flavor grits and make them edible?
Bill

Magicman

Reckon if there is enough members that like fruitcake Jeff won't woodshed us all  ??? ???   :)

pineywoods

Wife orders one every year from some bakery over in Texas. Comes in a nicely decorated tin. We opened it early and I've already consumed over half of it, one tiny slice at a time  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jasperfield

Fella's, just email me and I'll send shipping labels so you can send them to me. I love fruitcake(s)! And, Claxton is one of the best.

To make them even better wrap them in Saran Wrap with about 1/2 oz. of dark rum and let 'em sit for about a week.

ET

Well count me on the fruitcake lovers side.  I'm also a Sam's member and since no one else in the house enjoy them, their all MINE!

Here's proof.
ET
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

WDH

BT,

It takes a real Pro to bash grits on a Fruitcake thread  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!