iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Genuine Boiled Georga Peanuts

Started by etat, March 24, 2004, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Just got back a little while ago from Georga.  Even though it's only a couple a states over I've never been there.  Was told before I left to watch out for roadside stands selling boiled peanuts, and was told not only to try them but bring some back for a friend of mine.  I'd tried boiled peanuts before and didn't like them.  I didn't know what I was missing.  Them Georga folks sure do know how to boil peanuts.  GOOD EATING!!!!!!!!!!  *Oh, they serve good grits too" 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DanG

Well DingDangit, CK, where wuz ya at?  I only live 7 miles from Georgia, as the crow flies, and just 10 miles if the crow has to walk and push a flat tire!  I hope you ain't gonna tell me you was in extreme SW Ga! ??? >:( :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

By the way, I was born and raised in Georgia. We do boil a mean peanut, don't we? ;D ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

J_T

CK you been hanging out with them Carter boys again?  :D :D
Jim Holloway

dail_h

Just for the record,Georgia ain't the onlyist place that boils penuts
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

etat

We hauled off and went to Newnan Georgia.  I found a pathfinder over there in the auto trader to replace the one my son wrecked.  I got a 95, four wheel drive with all the buttons, INCLUDING new 32 inch tires and rims and an added 6 disk cd changer for about half what it would have cost me around here.  AND, it weren't rusty or rusted out like all them used cars them YANKEES ;D send down here to get rid of and is sitting on all the used car lots around here!!!!!! :) :) :)

I never thought I liked boiled peanuts until today!!!!!!  DanG things will make you hurt yourself!!!!   8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

Did you have time to run into the Wood MIzer distributorship and say "hey" to Nathan?   Wood Mizer's got that place in Newnan, you know.   I've been there.but it was a long time ago.  Pretty cool place to visit.  Sometimes they have a room full of mills.

Weekend_Sawyer

Funny this post coming up now. I just ordered 10 pounds of boiled peanuts today. I was looking for green peanuts but of course you can't get them until the later part of summer, Duh.

WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

shopteacher

If there's anything worse than grits it's probably boiled peanuts.  Stopped at a roadside stand coming back from F-lord-a with the wrecker and wanted to try them boiled peanuts. I really love peanuts so figured I'd like them too. The guy only gave me one and I was thinking " boy this guy is really cheap" glad he did though, couldn't have hacked more than one.  I'd really like to find some redskin peanuts. They used to roast them fresh in the 5&10, but can't even find them anymore.  All you see now a spanish or cocktail nut. Them big redskins had a lot better taste.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ga_Boy

Shopteacher,

You should try your local Farmers Mutual Exchange; at least that is what it was called when I was growing up in Georgia, up here in Maryland it's called Southern States.  The sell the same stuff though; farm supplies and feed & seed.

You can pick-up a five pound bag of raw p-nuts.  Being the Georgia Boy that I am I like mine boiled.  But they're good toasted, kind reminds me of going to the old Fulton County staidum to watch the Braves play back in the 70's and 80's before they stated winning and you could get tickets.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

shopteacher

Where bouts you located Ga_boy? I spent 4 years 20 mile N of Baltimore at the end of the sixties.  Don't know if there are any of them places around here. All I can think of is Tractor Supply and Agway.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ga_Boy

I'm in Southern Maryland.  To be specific, Charles County, Port Tobacco is the town.  It's 'bout 30 miles south of DC if'n DanG's crow is push'n that flat tire.  

This is the place where the tobacco was sent back to England back when we were just a colony.  Cept the only thing left in Port Tobacco is the old courthouse and one room schoolhouse.  Were you a techer there? :D :D  

The p-nuts from Southern States comes in a nice litte burlap bag that the wife loves to use for decorations in the kitchen.

If ya can't find any let me know and I will pick ya up a bag and send it snail mail.

Frickman

Once upon a time I spent a little time in Alabama. They called boiled peanuts "Goober peas." Some were good, others weren't. It depended on where you got them.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

DanG

The quality of a boiled peanut is like anything else...it's all in how it is handled, assumin' ya got good goobers to start with. Green peanuts is the best, but only available for a month or six weeks in the early fall. I got this buddy that runs a little store down in Crawfordville, Fla, and he's famous for having GOOD boiled peanuts, year 'round. He uses the dried ones in the off-season, but soaks them in cold water, overnight. Most folks freeze the green ones, for later use, but they turn out dark and mushy.

DanG

Ga_Boy, that's a co-inky-dink!  My wife called last night from a motel, 30 miles south of DC. She was on her way to New York to visit her sister. They was riding I-95, so I guess they was on the Virginia side. :)

RavioliKid

Ooooh! I love boiled peanuts!

I've only had them a couple times, but I look forward to getting them when I head south to visit my brother in Georgia.
RavioliKid

etat

These here were so good that I didn't even mind paying the guys price that sold em to me!!!!!!   I just let him con me along, I was having too much fun not too.  I had seen the sign and turned around to stop.  There was a BIG sign that said BOILED PEANUTS in front of a little run down stand.  The guy had started grinning, probably even when I slammed on the brakes to turn around.  I walked up to him as serious as could be and asked, "You don't know where a feller might find somebody selling boiled peanuts do you?"  In a loud voice he said, "Well, you know I used to sell em, but the last time somebody stopped and asked about em they took one bite and fell over DEAD!"   Right then and there I decided I liked this guy.  He ran inside and came out with a cup of boiled peanuts and said, "Now yall try these".  In the meantime he was telling how he got his recipe from some guy who had won an international competition with his boiled peanut recipe!!!  I mentioned that I wanted to buy a sack full to go.  He started scratching his head and saying it looked like I wanted to spend a lot of money.  I figgure he was waiting for my reaction before he decided how much to charge.  I was feeling good and just decided to play along, within reason.  I told him I believed he was probably cooking the best boiled peanuts IN THE WORLD.  Now truthfully, these really were good.  After he finished his calculating and talking and scratching his head, I just went ahead and paid his price.  The entertainment was worth the price of admission!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Oh yeah, anybody else wanna go to Georgia to buy boiled peanuts, be sure and price em before you tell em to load you up a sack full!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Mark M

I ain't never ate a boiled peanut, heck we don't even have peanut trees around here.

Minnesota_boy

Hey Mark,
I'll bet you do have those peanut trees there.  I hear they grow upside down, with their roots in the air and the peanuts underground.  I think the root looks just like a cottonwood.  ;D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Haytrader

Every Love's store I ever been in has a "peanut tree"

2 bags for a dollar

;D

Goes good with the evenings refreshments

;)
Haytrader

Duane_Moore

:D peanuts. don't know about them, but let me tell ya DON"T ever get addicted to (CASHEWS) the withdrawl pains are the worst. been there done that. even fought off the poodle dog for one once. it was hid in the recliner chair when it fell on the floor there was a fight for it, I won. and the poodle is quick.I was guicker. Duh---Duane :D :D
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Mark M

I never thought of looking at the roots of them cottonwood's, I'll bet your right about that Mn_Boy and I'll betcha no one else knows about it either. ;)

Stan

I don't know why anybody'd go to Plains for baldnuts, Blakley is the REAL peanut capitol of the world. DanG is right about the green nuts, once they've dried they ain't worth boilin'.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Ga_Boy

DanG,

I almost for got to post this.

When your lovely bride heads south and if'n she wants a place to stay, she can take 301 south out of DC and drive right past my place.  After which she can pickup 95 south around Richmond, Va.

I'll even feed her some roast, carrots and taters.  8)  Amber, my seven year old loves the carrots.  Speaking of which, it's almost time to turn the garden spot over. ;D

Let me know if'n she wants.

Ga Boy

SwampDonkey

We used to get a sackful of green peanuts and a ziplock full of fresh pecans from a gentleman in North Carolina. He used to come hunting woodcock with my grandfather in the fall and bring lots of those treats. Grandmother didn't seem to use the pecans in her cooking, just walnuts. Walnuts are bitter to me. But, I liked the pecans, yum. And grandfather ate a barrel of peanuts but they had to be red skinned ones or with shells already roasted. Again, grandmother never bothered to roast'n, so I would bring alot home for myself and roast'm.  They were skinless jumbo peanuts he brought. My grandparents were always a little odd about taking things, but they gave lots of stuff away. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

Now I gotta tell a peanut story that comes to mind. My brother and some friends went tuna fishin off the jersey coast as a hurricane was blowin in 6 hours out to what they call the canyons. Waves were 15 to 20 feet and they were on a 45 or 50' charter boat everyone was sea sick even the mates. But this one guy thats our neighbor was so sick he went in the john and didn't know which end to point at the toilet. He came out and told my brother he sat on the toilet and went and peanuts came out and he hadn't eaten peanuts in three days  :o.

etat

My grandpa and his nearest neighbor used to do lots and lots of bragging about their gardens.  Most time papa would win, but couldn't convince Mr Monroe of it. ;D Who could get the earliest tomatoes, who's corn was tallest, the best pea patch, the sweetest strawberries, things like that. They was growing peanuts and Mr. Monroe was getting the best of him.  I took some peanuts, cut the end of of em and glued them back together to make them longer.  I was very very careful and before the glue dried I rubbed in some dirt to help cover the seam, and later some mud to lightly coat the whole peanut. After it dried I brushed most of it off. .  When it was all said and done I had fixed him about half a dozen peanuts that had 7 to 8 peanuts each.  He showed them off to Mr. Monroe who fell for it, and as far as I know Papa never told him the truth.  He kept them peanuts for years to show off, but wouldn't hardly let anybody get their hands on em.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!