iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

School me on cutting black walnut

Started by Woodsrover, December 07, 2012, 06:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsrover

Quote from: 36 coupe on August 15, 2014, 05:37:48 AM
Black walnut sawdust is toxic to plants so keep it out of the garden.

Guess that would explain the dead grass around where I've been sanding this table over the past few days!   :D

SawyerBrown

Beautiful tables, guys.  Now THAT'S why I'm in the sawmill business. Woodsrover, that table will be an awesome heirloom for those kids!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

logboy

Learner, I'm not sure what you're milling the crotch with, but when I slab crotches (and I do a ton) I set them up so all three piths are parallel. In other words, they are all equal distance from the ground. Yes it takes some screwing around, especially since one limb is almost always bigger than the other and needs to be shimmed up. But once you get it you just figure out your thickness (I usually go 3) and whether or not you want to cut through the pith and start milling. I've got a nasty subpar walnut on the mill right now that took 30 minutes to set up. It has a 12" hump in the middle on both sides, exactly 90 degrees from the crotch. What a pain.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Biocmp

Quote from: logboy on August 15, 2014, 07:53:44 PM
Learner, I'm not sure what you're milling the crotch with, but when I slab crotches (and I do a ton) I set them up so all three piths are parallel. In other words, they are all equal distance from the ground. Yes it takes some screwing around, especially since one limb is almost always bigger than the other and needs to be shimmed up. But once you get it you just figure out your thickness (I usually go 3) and whether or not you want to cut through the pith and start milling. I've got a nasty subpar walnut on the mill right now that took 30 minutes to set up. It has a 12" hump in the middle on both sides, exactly 90 degrees from the crotch. What a pain.

Would love to see some pics of the wood if you get a chance!

logboy

Heres the one I set up tonight. I kept worrying the oblong thing was going to roll off the forks and through the mill.

Heres one over 20' long I did for a customer a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately it had an entire tree house in it complete with a spiral staircase. My bar is messed up because of it. Hitting 12 nails in one pass apparently isnt good for a slabbing bar.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Gideon_70

Quote from: Woodsrover on December 08, 2012, 01:31:01 PM
Anyway, here are a couple of photos:

Those are amazing!  Absolutely beautiful. 
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

mikeb1079

logboy those are sweet.  from what distances do you have customers bringing in logs like that?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: logboy on August 16, 2014, 12:19:37 AM
Heres the one I set up tonight. I kept worrying the oblong thing was going to roll off the forks and through the mill.

Heres one over 20' long I did for a customer a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately it had an entire tree house in it complete with a spiral staircase. My bar is messed up because of it. Hitting 12 nails in one pass apparently isnt good for a slabbing bar.

When you get a hump like that you can make really nice full live around oval slabs, usually with elliptical, target grain pattern.  Nice for road signs, little tables and so on.

People like 'em. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

Nice work woodsrover!  looking great, sap wood is of no issue in my book in regards to walnut.
WIwoodworker, Unless there is a natural funnel of air flow threw that hall way, mold could be an issue, wax on the ends would be perfect.  Very nice stacking job! real nice in fact.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Woodsrover

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 17, 2014, 12:43:29 PM
What is "CWP"?

Clear Wood Preservative.  I use and oil-based product from Benjamin Moore.

I applied both Howards Wax and Feed and Emmet's Good Stuff overtop of it.  Wasn't happy as neither offered much protection from water, etc.  Even wiping with a damp cloth would leave a mark in the finish.  I moved it back outside yesterday and applied two coats of Minwax "Wipe-On" poly in clear satin.  Its a tiny bit more glossy than I had wished for but really not bad and water beads up on it and doesn't leave a stain.  For a kitchen table wax just isn't enough.

WDH

I agree with you that wax is not enough as a finish for a kitchen table. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodweasel

Thank You Sponsors!