splitting trick

Started by woodmills1, December 06, 2012, 04:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

once in a while a piece gets stuck on the 4 or 6 way wedge of the multitek 1610

on an ordinary splitter I would use a saw to rip or knock it off with a maul

not so easy in the bowels of a processor

so........................... :P

I took a piece of already split wood and stood it vertically behind the stuck piece
locating it all the way right or left of the pusher on the ram

It kinda makes the stuck piece jog left or right

sometimes it starts the split right away and sometimes I need to try again,
moving the vertical piece all the way to the other edge

works lika charm

even used it on my small splitter

could run the risk of too much sideways torque........breaking something
but hey I have broken the splitter wedge right off the processor twice :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

NWP

I do basically the same thing too.  I usually use a 6-8" dia. wafer about 3-4" thick.  I put it against one side of the stuck piece and it will usually do the trick.  A lot easier to split a tough piece when you can get one half opened up first.  I then stop the splitter cylinder and pull out the wafer before it gets split into a bunch of pieces. 

I learned a long time ago it's not a good idea to put a regular length stick of split wood in there to try and push a stuck piece through.  The processor can send it flying when it pops out. ;D

I've melted a lot of welding rods into my wedges over the years fixing broken wings on them too. ;)
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

woodmills1

yes more than one way to get hurt or break something, even with my "small" 25 Hp saw and splitter

I call it my     little hematoma maker
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

cp881

On mine if the piece is just started on the wedge and the ram won't push it  through , I lift the wedge up and put a small piece under the back end then put the wedge down and will pop the chunk off.

Ivan49

Quote from: NWP on December 06, 2012, 05:12:09 PM
I do basically the same thing too.  I usually use a 6-8" dia. wafer about 3-4" thick.  I put it against one side of the stuck piece and it will usually do the trick.  A lot easier to split a tough piece when you can get one half opened up first.  I then stop the splitter cylinder and pull out the wafer before it gets split into a bunch of pieces. 

arned a long time ago it's not a good idea to put a regular length stick of split wood in there to try and push a stuck piece through.  The processor can send it flying when it pops out. ;D

I've melted a lot of welding rods into my wedges over the years fixing broken wings on them too. ;)

I used to work with a guy that put one piece behind the other on his splitter and he came to work with 2 black eyes and a bandage on his head. He said he don't know how long he layed there before someone found him. Made me more careful in what I did

muddstopper

I havent got one stuck yet so dont know what I would do if it happens  :D

sawguy21

Ivan, he was lucky that is all he got. :o The hydraulic splitters we sell have a stripper on each side of the ram, the block is supposed to stop against them and allow the wedge to pull out. The wood can climb over and smack knuckles if the operator gets careless so be careful.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

You folks are obviously refering to a splitter design where the wedge is on the end of the beam rather than on the cylinder rod .Non tilting type of splitter .

Well tell you what we did some thirty years ago on the first splitter we ever built .It was stictly horizontal ,no tilt ,wedge on the end with a push plate on the cylinder rod .

Well the thing had a single stage pump that came from a high lift and it would stall the 12 HP Wheel Horse engine on occasion .Simple ,a length of log chain and just pull the danged round off the wedge with the cylinder .Sure was better than pounding on the thing with a sledge hammer .

muddstopper

Al, I have done the chain thing before to. Have also beat it with the sledge hammer, sawed it with a chainsaw and been tempted to burn it off a time or two. I havent had those kinds of troubles with my current splitter. Hp can be your friend it seems. 

doctorb

Don't have a clue what you guys are talking about.  It's never happened to me either. ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Al_Smith

Quote from: muddstopper on December 07, 2012, 07:17:29 AM
Hp can be your friend it seems.
Ha well Google is indeed your friend but the greatest thing they ever did to splitters was the two stage pump .

Before they were readily available on some of those early homemade splitters I've seen single stage pumps stall a 16 HP Wisconsin twin .They used pumps from an old dump truck that were  ran gear reduction from the V8 engines and pumping into a 10 inch lift cylinder and were unstallable .Wind that thing up to 2400 RPM and shove that fluid into a 4 inch cylinder and the game changes .

Of course those pumps were not made to run that fast and they got to leaking after awhile .No big deal trot out to the junk yard and buy another one for 25 bucks and go at it again .

shelbycharger400

I have stuck a piece of elm or red oak once and a while.
its a homebuilt, 10hp gas, 4 in cylinder, 2 stage pump.
Stepdad welded an 1/2 in thick eye on the ram sled years ago. I wrap a chain round the log, round the eye and go in reverse, pulls it off like a charm.  This usually happens with 2 ft dia stuff taking too big of a bite  ;D

Al_Smith

My home built has an 11 HP Briggs and a 5 cylinder but it does stick every so often or should I say it did until I cranked the pressure .Tiltable so it's pushing the wedge and it has a set of pushers so it isn't a problem getting out of a round .

Now it could be a problem if a 30"round  piece of knotty oak landed on your foot .Not good ! :o

NWP

Maybe I can take a video of what we are talking about and post it.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

muddstopper

Al, you almost decribed my home made splitter. I am using a vikers v20 vane pump, 14gpm, (I picked if off the ground at a scrap yard), spinning it with a 25hp kholer at half throttle, pushing a 4in cylinder off a dump trailer. Control valve is at its preset position and I havent even checked the pressure. Dont need to, it doesnt stall the engine and hasnt failed to split a stick yet.

DDDfarmer

I've never had a problem with stalling the motor. have bent the beam and broke the wedge right off.  but no problems with the motor. :D

Yet when things slow down and the wood starts to groan, get away from it ;D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

NWP

Well, I made a video today that shows what we're talking about here.  It's about 30 seconds long.  The only problem is it's too big to upload to my gallery so I can put it on here.  If I figure it out I'll post it.  It turned out ok even though I really needed 3 hands to hold the camera and run the processor.

woodmills1

a stuck piece on a processor is a whole other animal than a stuck piece on a splitter

the wood is down ina hole with guards all around

Thank You Sponsors!