iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

set on a woodmizer lt40, looking for specifics....

Started by mikeb1079, December 05, 2012, 10:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb1079

hey fellas i've decided to purchase a used hydraulic lt40.  due to finances and current home projects this will likely be next year (unless my "plan" goes out the window  :D :D) but for various reasons i'm set on wm and very much set on hydraulics.  i currently run a home built bandsaw mill that got me hooked on milling and ever since i've known i'd wind up with a bigger mill w/hydraulics.  i guess we could call this "pulling a paul case"   :D :D :D

anyways, since there are seemingly alot of variations with the lt40 and alot of them out there, what version or features would be a must have for you?  for example:  hold out for an lt40 super?  debarker?  what setworks do you like or wish you had on yours?  is there any age range to stay away from?  (ie don't buy pre 90's or whatever)  lubemizer?

obviously price is a consideration as is condition but i was just curious as to more specific info on this particular model of sawmill.  and don't get me wrong i'm sure i'd be happy with ANY hydraulic mill, it's just that i'm in no hurry and can afford to take my time and look for the mill w/features that i really want.  thanks for any input   :) :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

drobertson

It really depends on what you plan on  using the mill for. This being said, a super would be the pick for anyone. not a bad saw for a hobby saw, and can make production if needed.   I might be inclined to scan the sawmillexchange if looking for a used mill. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

WM has many booklets that are really helpful to a new sawyer.  Give them a call.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

i would go for the loaded mill. accuset 2, debarker ,lubemizer, auto clutch. the works. that way you won't feel the need to upgrade as soon.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

mikeb1079

thanks guys.  i should mention that my intent is not for full time milling.  i'm keeping my day job as long as they let me show up there.   :)  i want to upgrade however b/c i've already been approached many times by folks looking for someone to mill urban lumber and my small manual mill is really more of a personal mill. 

oh also, when did they start adding setworks to the lt40's?  have they always had a version?
homebuilt 16hp mill

barbender

Go with a '97 or newer model, they have a heavier frame and any options you can get on a new mill can be retrofit to those. The accuset 2 is a better setworks, I don't know what year that came out. The debarker is very worthwhile. I have a 97 Super,  I stepped up from a homebrew mill myself ;)
Too many irons in the fire

scully

Haveing the privolage of being close bye Wm east I have always loved the 40 series mills ! But when they came out with the Kabota in early 2000 and I ran one WOW ! I recently bought a 2002 super ,remote lubemizer Kabota etc , I promptly had it updated from the ground up {wich did'nt take much , I can say with some athourity this mill is a starship ! Oh man is it sweet to run ! I have setworks 1 but will most likely upgrade to set#2 . There is nothing more an average sawyer could need on this series ! But they are so updateable ! yeh ! buy a used one go deisle for sure and live the dream !
I bleed orange  .

rooster 58

Since you are in no hurry, keep saving your money and pound the 'net. I'm a wm fan and would like nuthn better but to plunk down some green on a new mill. But I kept hounding the net and found a site thru the back door that produced an lt70 and edger for less than a new 40. And hours are way low on both pieces. Just take your time and be patient. What you want will fall into place

John_Haylow

I picked up a 2004 Lt40HDG28 used in 2007.It has the debarker,lubemizer,autoclutch,and accuset 2. After using the mill for portable sawing  I would not want to be without any of those options. That being said, I could get by with setworks as I don't use all the features of the accuset 2. I don't  think I would want to go down in mill size for custom sawing either. If you by a mill privately be sure to check it for liens before you buy.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Magicman

The changes were made in mid '97.  WM can check a sawmill's  S/N for you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Mine is a basic Hydraulic mill, with the loader, turner, clamp & toe boards, besides that I have the debarker that the previous owner installed!

The way I look at it, the bells and whistles are all nice, but the more you have means the more that can go wrong!

My mill meets the minimum requirements that I was looking for when I found it it found me!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Even a well used 40 would do the job. If you had the gumption to build a mill from scratch, you wouldn't have any problem repairing or upgrading, assuming the price is right. If it isn't rusted out or bent, 40's are easy to maintain. Couple of things aren't really practical. Buying and old gasser with lots of hours and upgrading to a diesel motor. Likewise gas to electric. Problem is weight. Also, don't add more hydraulics to a standard hyd, or add a debarker. problem is mostly electrical not enough electrical supply. Most of the factory add-ons won't fit on 97 and older mills without extensive modifications. Even then, home-brew options are quite practical. I have a 95 manual with home-made hydraulics, autoclutch, remote console, and a different motor (kawasaki). Don't overlook the need for material handling equipment. Just as important as a mill.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GAB

Mike:
I have an LT40HDD34 and bought it with the autoclutch as that engage lever could become a challenge in the PM for some.
I had hoped to teach the spouse to saw.  She wants no part of it.
Keep in mind that certain W-M LT40's can not accept an extension bed, so sawing longer material would be impossible.
Wishing you the best,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

mikeb1079

thanks so much for the input fellas, it's exactly what i was looking for.  it helps to be able to narrow down my search, and as i forsee having this mill for awhile i'd like to get one i won't grow out of as quickly. 

Quote''pulling a Paul Case''

Now that is funny.

thought you might get a chuckle out of that.   :) :)
homebuilt 16hp mill

paul case

Thinking about this yesterday I do have a little input for ya to think on.

I really wish mine had the 2 plane clamp. I think it is only on the 97 and newer, but not all.

I really wish mine was switched over to electric. I could have bought one that was 25hp 3 phase  and much newer with drag back, 2 palne clamp, and roller toeboards for less than what I have in mine now. I was afraid of the electric part. I now have the converter to run another machine. Electric would be much more efficient.

I really like the automated everything on the WM LT40 That I have, but I kinda miss the big throat on the EZ Boardwalk. I probably shoulda kept it but I couldn't do it financially.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: paul case on December 07, 2012, 08:44:43 AM
....I really like the automated everything on the WM LT40 That I have, but I kinda miss the big throat on the EZ Boardwalk. I probably shoulda kept it but I couldn't do it financially.

PC

REalistically, how big of a diameter can the LT40 handle?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

paul case

It is more like the widest board that can be cut between the guide on the right and the backstop on the left. It is something like 24'' or less on my lt40. The boardwalk would cut a 36'' wide board. The lt40 max cut between the guides is 29'' I think. PC
pc

Delawhere Jack

I spent 6 months looking for a mill and finally snatched up a 95 LT40HDG24. It was well maintained, and Marty at WM Pennsylvania gave it a good tuneup before the sale. I paid a little under $14k. I had seen a lot of mills around $10k that looked like they were ridden hard and put up wet, and some for $15k+ that seemed a little overpriced.

A 97' or newer mill would be nice, but don't rule out a pre 97' if you find one in good shape for the right price. If you can buy a used mill from a WM dealer, all the better. Marty Parsons gave me some training on the mill and definately helped me avoid some major headaches. The fact that I sawed the clamp on my first job with it is completely on me.... ;D

mikeb1079

hey dj thanks for the input, i've been following your posts since you upgraded.  yeah the prices i've seen for used lt40s are basically:

around 10k:  older mill well used, few add ons, gas engine.

10-20k:  newer mill with additional add ons, less hours, gas engine

over 20k:  super hydraulics with most if not all add ons, often w/diesel engine. 

as much as i'd love to have the super w/a diesel that would really really stretch it for me as this is primarily a fun hobby that will hopefully pay for itself.  this thread is certainly given me some more food for thought though.  i'm narrowing down the options that i'm looking for, the two that i will not be without at the moment are full hydraulics and a debarker, with setworks close behind.  gonna look at the 2 plane clamp like pc mentioned.  thanks all.   8)

homebuilt 16hp mill

Chuck White

I bought my 1995 LT40HDG24 in May 2008 for 15K from petefrombearswamp, a Forestry Forum member.

I had left word at Wood-Mizer, Hannibal, NY and when Pete started talking about getting a new mill, they referred Pete to me wanting an LT40 hydraulic!

At the time it had 487 hours on it and it was in very good condition, and had a debarker too.

So, talk to the dealers, put your name on the list and they may very well find you a sawmill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I really like the two-plane clamp. I'm spoiled now, I wouldn't want to be without it. I also like Accuset 2, a real time saver with the Super up/down speed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mikeb1079

QuoteI really like the two-plane clamp.

i guess i'm a little foggy on how these work.  from the pics i've seen i can't seem to make out the details.  could someone elaborate on how they work and how they're different from a normal clamp setup?
homebuilt 16hp mill

barbender

The two plane clamp has a hydraulic cylinder that extends vertically, basicly the cylinder rod acts as the clamp, another cylinder provides the horizontal clamping motion. It's probably simpler than I make it sound ::) What's nice about it is the fact that you can use it to flip cants and help the claw turner turn logs. I have a hard time describing it, all I know is that I use the clamp turning things way more than the claw turner.
Too many irons in the fire

Too Big To Fail

Is there a lot of wear on that vertical cylinder from being pushed horizontally all the time?  I guess it must be fine, but it seems like it would wear down fairly fast, want to bend. Is that not really a concern?

Thank You Sponsors!