iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Help me ID this hardwood?

Started by learner, December 05, 2012, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

But some,like me, can not see thier own mistakes in a post. I will read what I have posted a few days later and rush for the modify button.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Me too, unless Poston sees it first  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pasbuild

I don't think anybody comes here looking for a grammar or spelling lesson  >:(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on April 12, 2013, 01:31:03 PM
Maybe we could pester Jeff to include this feature. Then we would sound even more brilliant than we already do. ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant people already know that spell check is included in Firefox, and readily available as a plugin for Internet Explorer.  :)  ( http://www.iespell.com/ )

There is absolutely no need to bloat the forum code with a spell checker
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

Thanks Jeff. We wouldn't want to bloat.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

And no need to pester, either.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

learner

Since even Kings, Queens and Presidents can't seem to get it right then I don't see why we should worry about spelling too much.  I think we have settled on Hickory and Pecan for those two woods.  Got that HobbitHouse wood poster finally and it's Great at helping!
But now this one is a brain twister!   

I'm sure that some of you More experienced people have probably seen this before but I haven't.  That pink and red coloring in addition to the other grain coloring is a new one for me.  I haven't been able to identify it even using that HobbitHouse web site and their poster.  And that poster shows 240 different types of wood in full color.  Could it be some type of spalting I'm not familiar with?
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Okrafarmer

y'all beat me to it. Definitely Box elder. Ash-leaf maple.  ;) "Crayola-red stink-tree"
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bandmill Bandit

I cut about a couple dozen 8 ish foot logs for customer this week of various types of hard woods. 

These 2 pictures are one log that I actually had the presence of mind to get a picture of. I had  no idea that the hard wood I cut for this customer would even grow in this part of Canada.

I don't know what it is yet but I have about 6 or 7 more to cut as soon as they are on the ground which will happen today. I WILL get better pictures today to post here too. The owner thinks it a type of Elm and is going to check the planting records at the Ag Canada Research Station. He was a research Scientist in the Beef and Pork development department there and started working at the station around 1954. The place he lives on is a 7 acre piece that he built his house on and then the Shelter belt program at the station planted various types of trees that were being researched for use on the western prairies for use as shelter belts and Wind rows and they used his yard and the yard of other staff as test plots for the various types of trees. The trees were planted in 1958.  I will get a few pic of the other types I cut on this job too. Some really beautiful wood.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bandmill Bandit

I never heard of walnut in this country but I am not going to say it wont grow here till Howard gives me the name. With it being one of the trial species from a Ag Canada research project if could be just about any thing. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

A few more pics and one 2 species names.
The previous pics above are Manchurian Elm along with the first 2 below.

The others are Manitoba Maple, Common Elm & Mountain Ash. i will get howard to tell  me which pics are which but I think I  have it right.

Manitoba Maple

Manitoba Maple burl slice

The rest have at least 2 types and I am not sure which is which. There is a bit of Russian Olive in there as well and some Hawthorn but I am not sure I got them in the pics. will do so on the week end when Howard and his Grandson have time to help get some better pics.

SwampDonkey

Walnut would never survive the Alberta climate.

I was thinking a variety of elm in the first pics, such as slippery elm. Or possibly a variety of black locust with reddish brown heartwood, like 'ship mast'. But black locust would be very touchy in the Alberta cold. They do plant it, but it does not size up before most of them die.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The mountain ash is likely a European variety. It gets larger than the wild mountain ashes. Our native species have sticky buds. European have fuzzy buds, bark is silvery and birch-like. I've never seen a wild mountian ash get any size. I've cut a few of them down in plantations and softwood regrowth. They seem to like damper ground.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bandmill Bandit

Yes the mountain Ash had me thinking some type of birch when Tom pulled it up to the mill. I know that there is a couple pieces on the right side of the second last pic.

That piece with the triple crotch laying on the left side of the same pic is the second cut off a common elm.

Is slippery elm another name for common elm?

SwampDonkey

Common elm, would be American or white elm. Slippery elm was a guess as to species of elm with the darker heartwood there. You can never be sure of some horticultural names unless they have a latin name associated with them. For instance, what is a scarlet maple? I looked at a tag and it was a red maple according to latin name, just grows wild here by the billions. I could go out to the woods tomorrow and photograph a yellow one, red one and a really dark red one and an orange one, all same species. ::)

Bandmill Bandit

Howard is getting the all the correct names listed for me and asked if I want the Latin names as well. I told him I would love that and he offered help do good pics of all the different types so I can post them here with the proper names.

Also both of the Elms do have darker heart wood but the Manchurian is a lot more red where the other one is a more brown.

SwampDonkey

Yes, I've seen a brown heart in elm. But I've also had 30" elm sawed and it was pretty much all light colored. The but log was bigger, I couldn't handle it. :D I'm sure the but log had more heart because grandfather made a tap hole into the sapwood to feed it turpentine to keep the disease away. I never got all the lumber off that log, somehow it got confused for red oak. ::) It was twisty wood, never dried flat. Every time you planed it some, it would move over a 12 hr period. Note from 'Native Trees of Canada' "In many a farm kitchen, the white, scrubbed, elm-topped table was a symbol of the housewife's insistence on cleanliness". Well I think some yes (my grandmother), but not all (great grandmother). :D

Thank You Sponsors!