iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter chainsaw pants !!!!

Started by Timbercruiser, December 05, 2012, 05:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Does anyone know who makes good winter lined chainsaw pants. ?? Up here in Canada its impossible to find cause nobody cuts with a saw much now. Forester makes a pair with thinsulate lineing and Labonvilles offers one with a pad insert ?? Any help you have will be great Im stumped right now !!!

1270d

I like the labonville ones.  Last forever, and warm enough as long as your working.

Timbercruiser

Do you know the model number ?? Are they the type with the snap in pads ?? thanks for the help

sprucebunny

I have the Labonville's with the snap in pads but I like my Stihl pants better.
The pads move around and have less coverage than regular chaps. The Stihls have full wrap lower leg and better knee flex. Still need good long underwear with them.

Here's another brand that looks good. They say you can wash and dry them... the padding in my first pair of Stihls shrank in the dryer.
http://www.benmeadows.com/swedepro-chain-saw-protective-winter-pants_36807985/?pcrid=1114579536&cid=RX0300&mkwid=bxgWlMPut&ef_id=UL-7OgAARiiTjiW8%3a20121206015635%3as
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bill m

I have the Swedepro from Ben Meadows. The only complaint I have with them is the waist in back needs to be a higher cut. It feels like they are falling down in back all the time. Suspenders do help. Someone who is built different then me may not have the same problem.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Clam77

If it were me (what I've DONE)- I think I'd just wear my regular cutting pants and wear a set of insulated Carhartt bibs/coveralls over them.  Extremely warm and your pants stay clean for use the next day.    ;)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

1270d

All the tags are are blank on my pants from washing.  They are black nylon with thinsulate insulation.
http://www.labonville.com/Insulated-Black-Nylon-Pants-W-Snaps-WN600P_p_73.html

I don't use snap in pads, I wear chaps.

Only problem I had was 34 was the longest length when I got my last pair.  Had to sew extensions on since I like to duct tape the cuffs to my boots to keep from getting snow doughnuts.  I see they now offer 36. 

That being said I've never tried others like stihl or husky pants.

HolmenTree

I wear Husqvarna's winter pants. Quilted lining, good coverage sewn in safety padding and the tough nylon exterior sheds snow like teflon.

There's a company in Quebec that still makes the high quality wool pants with sewn in ballastic nylon padding that all the logging camps used back in the day. I can't think of the name at the moment but will post when I can dig it up.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Timbercruiser

cant find husqvarna winter pants anyplace ??

Timbercruiser

has anyone tryed Forester winter pants ?? I see them on ebay but dont know how they are ??

HolmenTree

Quote from: Timbercruiser on December 06, 2012, 11:11:52 AM
cant find husqvarna winter pants anyplace ??
Go to your local Husqvarna chainsaw dealer, he can get them for you . They sell 2 different types of winter safety pants:Husqvarna part #531 30 52 ** $125
                            #531 30 86 ** $132
The 2 * is the last 2 numbers for waist size, the dealer has them in the part listing.

Oh and for the company who makes the best logger wool safety pants in the world since 1920 [I quess they  added the safety pads years later :D]
http://www.filature.ca
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Krieger91

I usually just wear my regular jeans and boots, but I add in Under Armour long underwear, and a pair of Carhartt bibs. I personally prefer to wear my chaps outside the bibs if they fit, I feel like it reduces loose clothing flopping around. But, bibs over chaps would work just as well!

rfm7fxfox

I find the Husky pants to be very warm, sometimes too warm. I wont wear them unless temps reach close to 0. Every other day I wear the Baileys safety pants, they are quite a bit lighter but still offer protection (sewn in kevlar). I used to wear chaps all the time but switched to the pants and dont think ill ever go back to chaps. The pants are way more comfortable IMO.  :) If you chop all day and carry a wedge pouch with your file, wrench, wedges and tape make sure to get suspenders, even with a belt I find with out the suspenders im pulling my pants up all day long  :D
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

hamish

If you are cutting commercially in Thunder Bay you need a a pair of CSA approved chainsaw pants.  Your local Stihl and Husqvarna dealer have them, as mentioned previously.

Being in Thunder Bay you surely have learned about dressing in layers, full quilted pants on the landing are fine with some long underwear underneath, but felling your gonna a a sweated out pig that will soon freeze up.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Krieger91

Quote from: rfm7fxfox on December 12, 2012, 09:47:08 PM
I find the Husky pants to be very warm, sometimes too warm. I wont wear them unless temps reach close to 0. Every other day I wear the Baileys safety pants, they are quite a bit lighter but still offer protection (sewn in kevlar). I used to wear chaps all the time but switched to the pants and dont think ill ever go back to chaps. The pants are way more comfortable IMO.  :) If you chop all day and carry a wedge pouch with your file, wrench, wedges and tape make sure to get suspenders, even with a belt I find with out the suspenders im pulling my pants up all day long  :D

I couldn't agree more with the suspenders bit! I have a nail pouch for wedges and a hammer loop for my hatchet/axe on my chaps, and I had to add suspenders, they kept falling right off! I think it makes a little more comfortable, too, if a little awkward to put on and take off.

cutter88

hey timbercruzier im fom canada as well just a little more south in huntsville ontario i bought stihl fleese lined pants and there great i dont even wear long johns under them till it gets aroun 30 below celcious
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Timbercruiser

I have seen those pants but they are no longer being made. Thanks for the help

PAFaller

I like the black labonville pants, they have 200 grams of thinsulate I think. I find them almost too warm  to just chop in all day, but working alone I cut and skid, and they hold heat enough to not chill you down when running skidder. Also, I wouldnt say they are waterproof, but with the pads in they are certainly better than jeans or cotton bibs. Also, when I get home I pop the pads out, hang the pads and the pants on a rack by the fire, and everything is good to go again the next day. Only downfall, although all the winter pants are nylon, is if they get a tear the hole can really open up. I find I tear them up on cable burs more than anything.
It ain't easy...

Thank You Sponsors!