iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Much Fuel per Day

Started by Magicman, December 05, 2012, 09:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Reading the "diesel upgrade" thread, made me wonder just how much fuel do we use in a day's sawing?  I crank the 40 hp Lombardini in the morning and only shut it down for lunch.  I disengage the clutch after each cut and am at idle on the return.  I have never added fuel to the 5 gallon tank during a day's sawing, and there is usually about ½-¾ gallon left in my fillup can.  Obviously, I have never run out.

How does this compare with other Diesels and with gassers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I am running the 04'-05' 51hp Cat, and only once did I get close to 5 gallons in a day. I disengage the motor as well when returning unless of course I am making several boards in a row before turning.  I do shut the mill down when stacking, loading, or anything else that will take a few minutes or more.  Not sure why, just like the quite I guess.  Its hard to figure how much fuel per bd.ft because cutting ties will make more footage with fewer cuts than sawing 1" boards straight through the log.  One time I did figure the cost on a particular job and If I figured it right it was under 2 cents a bd/ft.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

I can cut 1,000 bd ft and still have a little fuel left in the 4 gal tank.  Running a manual mill, 23 h.p. Briggs & Scrapiron.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Alyeska Pete

I run a 51hp Perkins (which some manufactures re-lable as a Cat) on a Cook AC 36D and burn almost exactly 1/2 gal an hour for an 8 hour day. I usually saw alone (one sure sign of an addict). It runs all day except for lunch and I do idle it down when I return the head. I also idle it down while I'm moving material in or out of mill. I never disengage the engine clutch except lunch and quitting time. Also never de-tension the blade except to change it out. It stays tensioned over night and weekends too. I run a mud saw (hydraulic), cut mixed hardwoods and EWP. I usually run a band between 15 and 20 hrs. before it starts to dull. (1 5/8" X 1" X 0.050" Cook SS) I use diesel fuel for lube and on average use 1 gallon per 100 hrs. of sawing.

haywire woodlot

I was looking at my statement from the card lock yesterday, and I came up with these figures.
Over a 5 day period, I cut 5000 bf of 1x fir.
Average about 6 hours per day running time.
Over that time I used 101.27 L of marked mid grade.
Used  5L for chain saw gas, so 96.27L went through the mill in 30 hrs.
96.27L/30hrs= 3.2L per hour?
Or
96.27L/5000bf= 0.019L per bf.
166bf/hr
This is worst case for consumption too, because of cutting 1x material and it was all sort 8' and 10' logs. The per hour figure does seem a little high.
Dave

haywire woodlot

On nov 23, I cut 922bf of 6/4 cedar, average log length was 16'. Blade in the wood by 9, had a coffee and lunch, last log was done at 2 o clock, 5 hours running time.
Used 15L fuel.
15L/5hrs= 3L/hour.
15L/922bf= 0.016L/bf

184.4bf/hour.

This is pretty much ideal conditions for my 1 man operation.
Dave

terrifictimbersllc

My 5 gal tank will run out somewhere around 7.5 engine hours.  Kubota 42hp.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

haywire woodlot

My post would be probably more useful, If I had mentioned that I was running a '92 LT 40HD G24, with the 24 hp gas onan.
Dave

Chuck White

I can usually do a 9 hour day (about 6½ engine/mill hours) on a tank of 87 Oct. gas.

I figure somewhere just over 3 quarts of gas/hour!

Hey Aleyeska Pete;  Welcome to the Forstry Forum!
This is a great place to hang out, lots of info here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SPD748

I'm told by a sawyer that operates a mill similar to mine (handset Frick w/6-71 Detroit Diesel) that I can expect to burn 25 gallons per 8 hour day with average 'idle' time for loading and turning. We'll see :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

redbeard

Probably just under a gallon per hr. It would be less if it wasnt for the 5.5 hp gas briggs that runs the hydraulics. My TK B 20 has the 30 hp kohler its a guzzler.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

hackberry jake

My mill used to have a 13hp Honda. It mightve used 2 gallons in a 6hr day of sawing. My new 20hp Honda v-twin probably uses 3 to 3.5 gallons in a 6hr day. The fuel per board ft is probably about equal though since the 20hp doesn't bog as bad in thick cuts. You boys are harder workers than I am. "8hr day and only shut it off for lunch"? I'll saw for an h or two then go to the house for some sweet tea. Fire it back up an saw for an hr or two then talk with whoever shows up. Fire it back up and saw for an hr or two then shut down do an hr lunch. Then decide if I'm up to sawing anymore or not. If I saw too much it seems like work  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

haywire woodlot

For ease of comparison, my LT 40's 3L per hour, works out to .8 US gallons per hour. :)
Dave

Ohio_Bill

5 ga per  7 hr  day    LT40 with  D42  Kubota
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Dave Shepard

When I was edging as I sawed it was about 3 quarts an hour. Not sure now, probably about the same. I also figured about $.017/ft.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Sawdust Lover

38hp Kohler on a 2000 Timberking. 1 gallon per hr. Defitnatly not a hybrid!

mikeb1079

QuoteI can expect to burn 25 gallons per 8 hour day with average 'idle' time for loading and turning.

is that right?  that seems insane.  do detroits really guzzle that much fuel?  how could a man make money burning that much diesel?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

barbender

It's all a out the cost per board foot- hopefully if you burn 25 gallons you saw out 5000-6000 bf. That's the same amount per board foot as a.bandmill guy that burns 5 gallons to cut 1000bf, if my math is right ???
Too many irons in the fire

haywire woodlot

The rule of thumb for 71 series detroits diesels in continuous load applications, like tugs, generators, mills etc, is 1 gal per hour per cylinder at full rated power. A 671 should burn 6 gal per hour. I think that's based on n-60 injectors, it only goes up from there!
Dave

Don_Papenburg

What is the 53 series rated at in gals. per hour?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

xlogger

My 34 hp Kohler is close to one gal per hour on my Tk2000.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

steamsawyer

I usually end the day with more fuel than I started with.  :D  ;D

Sometimes when you make that wrong cut and mess up a board,  ::)  :-[  well thats the next one you use for "fuel".... Just sayin.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

beenthere

Just askin..... are you burning wood in that John Deere shown in the pic?    ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gasawyer

My worstfuel usage was 25gal gas in 13hr day sawing white pine total of 6000bdft. With an lt40hdd with 35hp Wisconsin. Most days are 10-15 gal days for 2500-3000 bdft..
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: steamsawyer on December 06, 2012, 04:49:51 PM
I usually end the day with more fuel than I started with.  :D  ;D

Sometimes when you make that wrong cut and mess up a board,  ::)  :-[  well thats the next one you use for "fuel".... Just sayin.

Alan

:D :D :D I never really thought of it that way Alan, DanG you make your own fuel.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

FeltzE

Wisconson Gas 35 hp, approximately 4 gal/1000bf of 1x lumber working alone. Basically 1 gallon per hour of normal use

Bibbyman

Quote from: Gasawyer on December 06, 2012, 06:00:02 PM
My worstfuel usage was 25gal gas in 13hr day sawing white pine total of 6000bdft. With an lt40hdd with 35hp Wisconsin. Most days are 10-15 gal days for 2500-3000 bdft..
we had one of the early Supers with the 35 HP Wisconsin and use well into a second tank on a typically day.  Likely 10 gallons including the edger.

Our 25 HP 3 Ph mill makes me grin when we pay the electric bill. Probably averages $80/month and that runs everything - including refrigerator, fans, lights, edger HD pump, blower, and even chainsaw. Also, $25 of that is a set meter fee.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Wonder where I can buy a 27 mile long extension cord.   :D

From the responses, it is clear that the Diesels use less gallons per day but the $$ per gallon is higher, so the actual cost for fuel is probably a wash.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Detroit diesels were never noted for fuel economy .

Al_Smith

It isn't just the fuel costs .Generally speaking a diesel should last longer but they do wear out .You could probabley replace the entire gasoline engine cheaper than rebuilding a diesel .

My bud the tree trimmer has a Duetz on a stump grinder ,nice engine 50 some HP .The danged oil pan alone on that thing cost over 500 bucks . :o

Bibbyman

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2012, 07:30:26 AM
Wonder where I can buy a 27 mile long extension cord.   :D

From the responses, it is clear that the Diesels use less gallons per day but the $$ per gallon is higher, so the actual cost for fuel is probably a wash.   ???

Can you burn "farm" fuel?  That is, no tax?

Is a diesel engine more expense than gas to maintain? 

I know diesel engines are much higher initial cost but should have much longer life expectancy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Oh, I absolutely am sure that I am far ahead with the Diesel with the overall long term cost.  My Lombardini has well over 6K hours.  I did a valve check once and replaced the timing belt.  Neither showed any problems by being out of specs. or wear.  I rigidly follow the mfg. recommendations with oil/filter changes.

I am paying $3.50 per gallon for off road Diesel.

ladylake

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2012, 07:55:28 AM
Oh, I absolutely am sure that I am far ahead with the Diesel with the overall long term cost.  My Lombardini has well over 6K hours.  I did a valve check once and replaced the timing belt.  Neither showed any problems by being out of specs. or wear.  I rigidly follow the mfg. recommendations with oil/filter changes.

I am paying $3.50 per gallon for off road Diesel.

Right, with 6500 hours you saved about 3200 gals of fuel  X  $3.50   = $ 11,200.00. If your going to be sawing a lot get a diesel plus they saw faster.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chris Burchfield

I have the 51 hp cataperk on my super.  Even on a long day, I don't think I've run over 5 gallons.  I don't shut down after every board cut except to check the finish.  The super has a pretty fast return.  I believe not shutting down reduces the wear and tear on the autoclutch as well as the tri-belt.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

ladylake

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on December 07, 2012, 08:27:41 AM
I have the 51 hp cataperk on my super.  Even on a long day, I don't think I've run over 5 gallons.  I don't shut down after every board cut except to check the finish.  The super has a pretty fast return.  I believe not shutting down reduces the wear and tear on the autoclutch as well as the tri-belt.

Same here after about 11 - 12 hours my 5 1/2 gallon tank is about empty with a off brearer and  sawing hard wood.  Sawing 8' long I wouldn't have time too shut it down, on long logs I might idle it down.  Your right about wear on the clutch belts etc.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

I often wonder about the wear on the drive belt, but figure it is a trade off on running the blade. I never did a study on this I just figured it would be better for the blade to run only when I was ready to enter the log. I have seen a fellow in the past that had the 51 cat on a logmaster, he ran is blade all the time, it just seemed like a lot of wear and tear to me. He did go through a bit more fuel than I did.  Our off road diesel is at $3.54 a gal. now here in so. mo.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

It might be a little hard on the blade from engaging a auto clutch with quite a bit of wieght to get spinning each time, might be a tradeoff to letting it idle down or full speed on the short ones. 

tractormanNwv

What size injectors are you running in that 6-71 Detroit? You might consider dropping a size to save a little fuel, and still have all the power you will ever need, and of course the O'l 2 strokes will need more "tune ups" than cat or cummins, which I'm sure your already aware of, just sayin

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!