iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New trick (to me) using toeboards

Started by JustinW_NZ, December 04, 2012, 05:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

This is probably an old trick but I only figured it out today and thought it might be usefull to others who are looking to mill or newer to it like me.

Was dealing with some big logs today and was using the toeboards to pushing them up or down the mill a little as you do some times....
BUT
I find these big logs can snag or are so heavy the clamp cannot push them square into the back stops and you run into issues (I hit the guide arm while fully pushed out 2 inches from the end of the log?!?!  >:( )

Anyway, I twigged that poping the log up on the toeboards gave the clamp a much easier time to push the big logs up square and tight 8)

And for those wise ones out there who new this - Heres your question, what type of wood is that in the picture?  ;D

Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

JustinW_NZ

Gear I run;

woodyone.john

Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

JustinW_NZ

The next log on the deck is macrocarpa John so your on the money there..
The one on the mill is still something else.

As a hint its native to Europe but commonly found in New Zealand (where I am) and other places.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Holmes

Really southern, southern yellow pine? ;D ;D
Think like a farmer.

JustinW_NZ

:D

Nope and nope (had to look up plane tree, interesting things?!)

Any more?
Gear I run;

Okrafarmer

Pine or hemlock. Definitely looks like a loblolly pine. Native to Europe? So, not radiator pine?
Austrian Pine?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

JustinW_NZ

Nope

Sorry I dont have a closer shot of the bark.
And its nothing to weird either, theres been talk of these recently on here.  :P

Any other guess's?
(I will buy the winner a beer if I ever meet them  :D )

PS okra - radiator pine? does that have some heat fins on it or water circulation or something?  :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

DDobbs

EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

JustinW_NZ

Gear I run;

Okrafarmer

Sweetgum!

Sure looks like some type of pine.

Douglas Fir?

Leyland Cypress?

I can't think what they have in Europe that would look like that. Lombardy Poplar? Elm?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Migal

:) Doe's it cut like Pine? Smell like Pine? Look like Pine? Hmm Must be special Hmm Pine  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Okrafarmer

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Brucer

Definitely not a Douglas-Fir. Not native to Europe, bark is a lot thicker, sapwood is distinctly lighter than the heartwood.

I've used the toeboard trick to shift very long, heavy timbers (e.g., 30' - 10x12). Put some pressure on with the clamp, pop the rear toeboard up a quarter inch and drop it again and the far end of the timber shifts. Repeat as needed.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

JustinW_NZ

And the prize goes to OKRAFARMER  8)

'Populus nigra' or Black Poplar NOT a pine or any sort...
I have no idea of what cultivar it is as there are lots of different types in New Zealand now.

So mate if you ever in NZ I owe you a beer  ;)
OR if im over you way im there for ya  ;D

Brucer - glad to hear someone else does that trick  smiley_hardhat

And heres a better picture of another couple of these logs.
Gear I run;

Meadows Miller

Gday

Congrats Jim  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Jim sitting at home going I won I won  ;) ;D ;D 8) (jims missus  what did you win  ??? ) A beer in New Zealand i just gotta go get it   ;D ;D ;) but if your coming that far to claim the prize mate you better jump the ditch n visit me mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D

I could del it for you but i wont be taking no bloody Fosters overthere  ;) :D :D :D :D

Justin this is the Logging contractor with the firewood yard you where telling me about Mate  ;) they look to bloody good for firewood logs   smiley_eek_dropjaw  :) ;) :D I think your going to be on a good wicket Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8)

That radiator pine sounds like pretty hot suff to handle  ;) Radiata Pine is a Native of California & has a natural range of 8 sq mi but theres over 4 million acres between NZ & Australia and a fair bit more in other countries South America mainly  ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

JustinW_NZ

Hey Chris! hows things going?

First off - Fosters isnt beer! - come visit ill get you some real stuff...  ;D

And yes, those poplar logs were clearout for the logging crew from another job, they really dont want or use them.
The big bits there are 700-900mm across and very heavy!

There are stacks of Euc's there tho im itching to mow into to make quatered hardwood flooring.
Its kinda nice, i turn up after they finish and chew out some stuff and leave.
Magicly when i come by the next day theres more logs there and the waste has all magicly dissapeared  ;D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Meadows Miller

I knew you would get onto that one Mate  ;) just a warning if you get givin a fosters the can looks nice and thats about it just put it on the shelf of the mancave  ;) You gotta love Paul Hogan  :) ;) :D :D :D

I tell you what Justin i am drinking the odd cider these days had a couple nice ones the other night with a mixed grill at the pub that where from NZ Monolith i think they where called  ;)

I reckon your on a winner and im stoked for you as once you get into these long term deals your usually set for a fair while mate  ;)  ;D ;D 8) 8) im working on a couple of  similar deals atm ones with a logging contractor and the others with a plantation owner with 600 acres only 30 mi from the mill they del the logs and i contract saw and keep the sawdust and chips to sell aswell  ;) the 600 acres they are planing on doing over the next 15/20 years  ;) That portable mill i was telling you about should be home before xmass too and its even got a name now  ;) ;D ;D ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

terrifictimbersllc

Jeff should sell smileys for 1 cent each.  :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JustinW_NZ

mmmm cider - im a fan of that for sure!

Sounds like a winner for you there for sure  8)

Hey Chris being someone thats operated lots of different machines and also comes across the odd eucalyptus tree  ;) have you seen any particular method on a bandsaw mill for quatersawing them? (remembering there stressy logs)
More the mid to larger 400mm upwards im thinking.

The stuff im dealing with here is mostly e.fastigata so its not completely aweful but just wondered if you had seen anyway that was really productive?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Okrafarmer

Justin, my grandmother had a giant Populus nigra in her back yard in Oregon when I was a kid, it had to have been over 6' diameter, and 130 ft tall or more. She had it taken down later. Still I would have been much better able to recognize it on the stump with its leaves and branches still on, than in log form.

From those pictures, I never would have pulled any kind of poplar out of my hat, if you hadn't said the thing about Europe. It definitely looked like pine to me, especially the side view.

Sorry (not really) but I don't drink alcoholic beverages. But I'd sure take a southern hemisphere meat pie long about now!  8) 8) 8) 8)

Anyhow, watch out for hobbits, I hear they are quite "poplar" down there!

Thank You Sponsors!