iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member, just got my first band sawmill

Started by kyjondeere, December 03, 2012, 07:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjondeere

I have been wanting a sawmill to mill my own lumber for barns, cabins, corrals, etc. for as long as can remember.  Last weekend, I was perusing some local classifieds and came across a used Norwood Lumbermate 2000.  Its a 2008 model with less than 20 hours.  I couldn't resist any longer so I purchased it.  This past weekend, I milled a 22 inch hickory and 2-8 inch cedars.  I cant say enough good about it, I love it. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

customsawyer

Congrats on the mill and welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ohio_Bill

Congratulations on the Mill purchase and Welcome to the Forum. WOW a 2008 with 20 hrs. I bet the hours will go up now.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new mill to you. Now where were you cutting those logs? bg

Busy Beaver Lumber

welcome to the forum and congrats on the new mill purchase :)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

kyjondeere

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on December 03, 2012, 07:24:34 PM
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new mill to you. Now where were you cutting those logs? bg
Western Kentucky
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WoW.....starting off sawing Hickory.....you know how to throw a party.  smiley_thumbsup

Sounds like an early Christmas!

Congratulations!  smiley_clapping
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

no doubt, cut as much hickory as you can, right off the bat, then you will be jam'n for the rest of your days. 8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

kyjondeere,welocome to the forum and the fun world of sawing!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

it must be a decent mill if you cut hickory and are still happy   :D :D

congrats!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Leigh Family Farm

Best impulse purchase ever! Congrats on the mill!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, and congratulations on your new mill, too. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Hickory saws pretty good when it's fresh-cut, but when it's dried, it's a whole different animal!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Congratulations on the "new" sawmill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kyjondeere.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

morgoon

Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Nomad

Welcome to the Forum!  You're hooked up with a great mill.  I really liked my LM2000.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Lud

Glad to have you with us.   Use the Search as you run into issues.  Cut a lot of stickers asap since they work better if they are dry.  Lots to learn-this is the place. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF!  I look forward to seeing you around here.  Lumbermates are great mills! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bandmiller2

Welcome Deere guy,what are you planning to do about sharpening and setting your bands,or did the deal include equipment.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dblair

Welcome, and I know you will enjoy the forum
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

dboyt

Welcome to the forum!  I've seen some old Lumbermates with a lot of board feet of lumber under 'em-- they just keep on running (like a good JD tractor).  If the hickory gets too easy for you, see if you can find some dry hedge.  I think you've got some yellow poplar over your way, and it slices up real nicely.  Lud is right-- cut blocking and stickers and get the wood drying right.  Here's a link to a post on air drying: air drying lumber.  Norwood has great support for their mills, so check their web site.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Migal

:) Welcome to the forum  8) Be sure and get pic's we love pic's LOL
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Thank You Sponsors!