iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ill Eagle Story.

Started by Ward Barnes, December 03, 2012, 05:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

Howdy Folks:

I had a customer come into the BBS (big box store) where I work looking for a Poulan carburetor adjustment tool.

Not finding one in the store's data base I took a look at Google and found at least 4 on-line sellers that had the tool running from about $9.00 to $15.00.  Wanting to make the sale for the store I called our parts vendor and was told point blank it was against Federal law to sell such an item to the general public and to have the customer take the saw to an authorized repair shop to have it adjusted.  I'm glad I hung up before I said something that might make the customer and my vendor blush.  Was my vendor way off base or is there another new FEDERAL law that I don't know about?

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

macpower

Your vendor is right. We have gotten warnings from all our mfgs. as well as a letter from the EPA.
There are some serious penalties for providing the tools, as well as for making any modification to "emissions" components. (I read this as muffler mods, carb. swaps, porting etc.)
I haven't heard of any shops getting nailed by the feds, yet....
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Cut4fun

It is true. Now shhhhhhhhh and buy your some to put back. There is 4-6 different epa drivers out there now.  ;)

JOE.G

So now the feds want to put the little guy AKA the guy working on the side out of his home out of business. How dumb even the DIY can't work on his own stuff.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Ward Barnes

Howdy Folks:

Does this make it against the law for someone with a Stihl or Husky or other saw that takes only a screwdriver to adjust the carb?

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Okrafarmer

If it does, there are a lot of law-breakers out there here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Chris J

The EPA warning letter regarding the carburetor tool is somewhere on the Husqvarna website.   I couldn't find it or a link to it,  but I know it is (was?) there.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

macpower

From the EPA  40CFR1068.101 (2)

(2) Defeat devices:
You may not knowingly manufacture, sell, offer to sell, or install, any
part that bypasses, impairs, defeats, or disables the control of emissions of any
regulated pollutant, except as explicitly allowed by the standard-setting part.
We[EPA] may assess a civil penalty up to $3,750 for each part in violation.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

lumberjack48

Well, they might as well bring handcuffs !!!!
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Clam77

:D :D    +1 Lumberjack!!
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

scully

We have all heard the famous quote "they can take my guns when they pry my cold dead fingers from around the barrle" Add chainsaws to that ! I don't think the law can apply to anyone who tunes their own saw ....
I bleed orange  .

Okrafarmer

It would be rather hard to enforce, unless they make it impossible to tune the saw without using a special tool. The OP sounded like that was the direction things were headed. Talk about the govt Poulan a fast one on us.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!