iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Busted our Wood-Mizer

Started by Bibbyman, December 03, 2012, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Quote from: moosehunter on December 04, 2012, 03:03:58 PM
Bibby, is that sag in your live chain just from wear or did something happen to it? Is there any problem with it binding like that?

mh

You mean the chain the head uses to pull back and forward?  Maybe slacker than factory spec but I've not had a problem.  But Now that you've brought it up, I probably will have.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 04, 2012, 03:33:29 PM
Quote from: moosehunter on December 04, 2012, 03:03:58 PM
Bibby, is that sag in your live chain just from wear or did something happen to it? Is there any problem with it binding like that?

mh

You mean the chain the head uses to pull back and forward?  Maybe slacker than factory spec but I've not had a problem.  But Now that you've brought it up, I probably will have.

It happens every time.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Not to interupt Bib, but I think he's talking about the chain that houses all of the hoses and wiring, not your feed chain!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moosehunter

That is what I am asking about, the plastic chain with the hydraulic hoses/ wires in it. I know it has a name but I guess "live chain" isn't it?

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Bibbyman

Oh yea, I'm not sure what it's called.  Cable track?  Anyway, it's seen better days but still works. 

Part of the sag is the heavy cables we ran through it.  Note no battery under the saw head.   We moved the battery to the HD box. Then ran cables through the track to the head.   Note too, no contact strip.
Sawing since '94

DR_Buck

I'm surprised you went to all the trouble repairing it Bibby.    Looked like a good excuse to go buy a new mill.   ;D   Maybe if the economy was better.  :(
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

Quote from: DR_Buck on December 04, 2012, 05:54:39 PM
I'm surprised you went to all the trouble repairing it Bibby.    Looked like a good excuse to go buy a new mill.   ;D   Maybe if the economy was better.  :(

Funny,  that's what ElectricAl said.  ::) 

I'd buy a new one if they made one better than what I have turn this one into.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I thought I'd take it easy on the mill so this morning I put on the larges log we had.  It was burr oak  - 17' with no trim.  Here it's squared down to 21" x 21".   It made something over 400 bf of 4/4 lumber and a 6"x11" beam out of the center.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

I truely love living in mizer land

mill was slow feeding last 2 times used

did a quick check, a phone call, a few bucks  and 2 days later

replaced 2 bottem feed rollers and slick smooth back into nice nice

nice fix Bib
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: WDH on December 04, 2012, 10:01:43 PM
What a beautiful log!

Not that beautiful.  Typical of burr oak, it had a lot of knots.  One face was clear for a while. I would have been better off with two or three smaller logs that would make a beam and less percentage of flooring lumber. 

We sawed six more logs after this one that made 8"x8" beams but less flooring lumber in total than this big one.
Sawing since '94

moosehunter

With thanks to Mooney from WM, it is called a "Cat Track".
There are no hydraulic hoses in it, just wires.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

DR_Buck

Quote from: moosehunter on December 06, 2012, 04:12:06 PM

I believe that the "Bibby" model does have hydraulic hoses in it.  ;D

Bibbyman

Quote from: DR_Buck on December 06, 2012, 06:49:00 PM
Quote from: moosehunter on December 06, 2012, 04:12:06 PM

I believe that the "Bibby" model does have hydraulic hoses in it.  ;D

Nope. Just cables.
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

And 1 of the cables is hooked to Netflicks. :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

QuotePart of the sag is the heavy cables we ran through it.  Note no battery under the saw head.   We moved the battery to the HD box. Then ran cables through the track to the head.   Note too, no contact strip.

Maybe thinking of the battery cables Bibby added to the "cat track". ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

eastberkshirecustoms

I'm sure that there are many names across the industry, but we call that stuff 'energy chain' in my neck of the woods, as coined by one of the manufacturers- Igus.

DR_Buck

Quote from: beenthere on December 06, 2012, 08:36:08 PM
QuotePart of the sag is the heavy cables we ran through it.  Note no battery under the saw head.   We moved the battery to the HD box. Then ran cables through the track to the head.   Note too, no contact strip.

Maybe thinking of the battery cables Bibby added to the "cat track". ;)

Yep.   Had I thought about it before typing I wouldn't have said there were hydraulic hoses in it.   smiley_dunce    I should have known there is nothing hydraulic in the head.  smiley_ignore   

The battery cables are what I was thinking of.   I remember seeing picture of them, probably in this thread.

scully

I've done a few bed repairs on some mills ,One was on an Lt 70 that was only a couple months old , the surface that the end bedsuports slide on were caved in . I welded 1/4"stainless plate on over the exsisting serface ,I saw the mill being serviced near the end of the summer and the fix was still great. the mill was pounded out prety bad ! They realy droped some big stuff on it for sure . Your repair should work but an 1 1/2 wide strip of steel 1/4" thick welded over the underside of the bed rail before the nut was welded on may have been stronger ,I would also cut the large nut head off the bent bolt and weld a new threaded peice to it . If ya never drop another big cant on it again you will be okay but....... we all know whats gonna happen !LOL
I bleed orange  .

Grappletractor

Did you use a nut for locking the adjustment like the original arrangement?

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 03, 2012, 04:58:51 PM

Over 5500 hours, 10 years and a couple million board feet sawn, something has to give out. This adjustment bolt broke because nut in bed rail was pushed in.

This was the major damage – nut weld cracked and nut pushed in.

I straightened up the nut and welded it back in and repaired the cracks and puddled the dent full – thinking it would re-enforce it. New bolt was made by taking a standard hex head bolt and welding two heavy washers on the head.

I discovered the damage a day or two after sawing this big red oak log.  It was  10' long and some 30" dia.

Pretty nice log.  Squared down to 18"x18". 

If the repair lasts another 10 years and two more million board feet,  I won't complain.

thecfarm

Grappletractor,what is your avatar??? Is that a factory made tractor???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Quote from: Grappletractor on December 21, 2012, 06:43:33 PM

Did you use a nut for locking the adjustment like the original arrangement?

Yes,
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!