iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OMG

Started by Den Socling, December 03, 2012, 03:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Is this for real?

mad murdock

Looks like it could be coastal redwoods, looks real to me.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Weekend_Sawyer

and the one guy is saying to the other

"Who brings Chinese handcuffs up a tree anyway!"
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Cedarman

There is a pull out spread of a very large tall redwood in the last national Geographic.  The people in the tree are incredibaly small.
Impressive.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Den Socling

They can't expect the fire department to get them down!  :D

terry f

Somebody has to be up another tree, getting the picture.

Den Socling

You're right, Terry. They are even higher. One time I read a book about people who climbed coastal redwoods. They would do things like climb to the top of a tree that has been topped in a storm and have lunch. They would live in those trees. I wish I could remember the name of that book.

beenthere

Several years ago, Stihl Inc had a great photo op of climbers hanging off rigging with large chain saws. I used to have that large poster but don't know where it is at the moment.  ::) ::)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

I think I read the same book, Den. It was about a group that would seek the tallest redwoods, climb them and camp in the canopies in hammocks overnight, sometimes.
I think they kept the  "Giants" a secret amongst themselves. If I remember right, they were something like 350' or so tall.
I need to dig around and find the title.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

FeltzE

Yep that could be real, we took a motorcycle drive out to the west coast last spring and visited the giant redwoods and sequoia's very impressive. some running over 20 feet in diameter and topping over 300 feet tall.

The tallest was under 400 feet, I suspect it's because the tree can't push water that high up.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Yep, that's the job for me. :o My knees start to shake when I am on a six foot tall step ladder. You could not pay me enough to climb a tree like that.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Bill Gaiche

I believe it. There was this article in todays Tulsa World paper about some big trees. bg

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=13&articleid=20121203_13_A14_CUTLIN21174

learner

I HOPE they are just climbing for the climb.  Because the idea of cutting one of those ancients just makes me sick.  That would be like destroying the Great Salt Plains, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Taj Mahal, or the Great Wall of china.  Trees that size are a part of the History of our World.
They have seen things we can only Dream about.  Has anyone ever found the Oldest living tree?  That has to be a sight to see!  I've seen thousand year old rocks but to witness the splender of a 300 year old living thing is a wonder!
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

treefarmer87

I THOUGHT THE BIG GRADE OAKS I CUT WERE BIG :o :) i agree with learner, they shouldnt be cut.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

beenthere

QuoteI've seen thousand year old rocks but to witness the splender of a 300 year old living thing is a wonder

300 year old is not 'old' for a tree. Cut some Alaska yellow cedar that counted out more than 900 rings. They'd been dead for a hundered years and were still solid wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1270d

I believe that the oldest tree, methuselah is 4844 or 45 yrs old.  Its location is not diclosed

learner

WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

SPIKER

If you have never seen some of these things UP CLOSE you have no idea how big the really are.   Spent some time in Sequoia Nat Forest & redwood nat forest in Northern CA back in 92.   REALLY impressive to stand next to a tree and not be able to see around it without taking a hike!   or see the TOP of a Redwood without walking back a hundred yards.  8)

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

That picture is beautiful.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

I have to go there and see these trees! We are doing a job in Washington. I will make the trip down. I am amazed by big trees in PA. Those Redwoods make them look like weeds.

Slab Slicer

Check some of the climbing links here. These folks really love there recreational climbing.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Rec-Galleries/Photos_2
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Slab Slicer

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

thenorthman

Quote from: Den Socling on December 03, 2012, 08:45:34 PM
I have to go there and see these trees! We are doing a job in Washington. I will make the trip down. I am amazed by big trees in PA. Those Redwoods make them look like weeds.

If'n yer allready in Warshington then its a hop and a skip to the Hoh Rain Forest, just a few miles south of forks, trees are not as big  but still very impressive, also some very large ceder just out side Darrington on the beaver lake trail. 

I keep asking the wifey if we can take a self loader and the 090 and go camping in the hoh rain forest, she always says no but it would be funny to see the tree huggers panic just a little bit...

They don't make a 6 foot bar for nothin ya know
well that didn't work

redprospector

Quote from: learner on December 03, 2012, 07:26:09 PM
I HOPE they are just climbing for the climb.  Because the idea of cutting one of those ancients just makes me sick.  That would be like destroying the Great Salt Plains, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Taj Mahal, or the Great Wall of china.  Trees that size are a part of the History of our World.
They have seen things we can only Dream about.  Has anyone ever found the Oldest living tree?  That has to be a sight to see!  I've seen thousand year old rocks but to witness the splender of a 300 year old living thing is a wonder!

I don't think you have to worry about seeing one of those trees cut. The environmentalist have such a strangle hold on this country that we can't cut anything over 24" DBH in the Lincoln National Forest.

It's not that I don't agree with you that those giants shouldn't be cut. I just get a little huffy when people get all touchy/feely about a tree. Once we let it get started, it only had one way to go.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!