iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose Meat-cured and smoked

Started by gorshi, December 03, 2012, 11:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorshi

This is the before pic of the moose meat just coming out of the cure. I will post again in 12 hours the after pic when it comes out of the smoker. 8)

SwampDonkey

Moose sure is lean.  ;D Can't wait to see the cured state. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gorshi

The finished product  8)

It is so moist, and mmm good! Moose,eggs and hashbrowns  :)

sbishop

awesome!!!
You mind sharing your curing recipe and smoke time and temperature?

Sbishop

gorshi

The recipe: pre-mixed california ham spice and water - the ratio is enough ham spice to float a raw egg or 35% on a brine meter(i don't like to much salt)
Step 1- inject brine into meat, make sure you get all portions of your meat or it will sour
Step 2- submerge meat in the rest of the brine making sure it covers meat completely. (Use a plastic tub or pail)
Step 3- refridgerate for 5 days
Step 4-remove and rinse with fresh water, and cover with fresh water for another 24 hours.
Step 5-Ready your smoke house at 185 degrees. Place meat into smoke house until internal meat temp. reaches 140 degrees.
Step 6- add your smoke. (To much and it will be bitter) Remove once fully cooked.
Step 7- Eat
I hope this works for you. If you have questions...just ask. :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ashes

Dangit! I come here looking to learn something, but leave hungry every time.

Well, I have learned a few things to. :)

SwampDonkey

Roast moose is the best part of the critter, so I'm thinking smoked moose is especially good.  8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

I've never had moose before, yours turned out looking very good!

thecfarm

Question,Can I come for supper?? :D  That looks good and sounds good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sbishop

Gorshi, thanks for the recipe!

Just to make sure i'm clear, you cook it till 140 internal temperature, then add smoke?

Keep smoke rolling till its cook? 155ish?

Sbishop

gorshi

sbishop:Yes to the first question. to the second question: I use a half a coffee can of chips and continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees. If want other info inbox me your phone # and I'll call you...sometimes hard to explain in writing.

blackfoot griz

Gads gorshi that looks good...

Now...get back to work on your processor! :D

sawguy21

I bet that is good. Moose needs to be cooked properly or it becomes tough and gamey. I have only had a couple of servings that I liked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gorshi

Yes, moose can be tough and gamey. Lots has to do with processing and age of the animal. You get an old animal its gonna be tough and taste aweful. Slow cooking and moisture is the secret. Going to make sausage later but have to get my processor done first.

SwampDonkey

Less gamey around here (just joking). They like soybeans and other field crops. Might as well eat'm if your feed'n them. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!