iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

normal and maybe great NJ sawmill job

Started by Tom L, December 03, 2012, 07:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

they all seem to be close to the same, owner calls and I tell him how to set up the logs. and when you get there, it is only two logs, they are not in a row, on a hill, and no thought as to how to get the job done.

I was standing there talking to the two clients, almost ready to go home,  and I look up, to my amazement, here comes a guy driving down the road with a tractor. he looked like santa clause coming down the road.LOL I flagged him down and he did the clients a favor and pushed the logs around and off the trees so they could be milled. they had never seen a tractor on that road before.
had to do most of the milling for the job on my knees because the front of the mill was almost touching the ground and I had to bend over to reach the controls on the remote

so here is the huge pile of logs

and the finished slabs. they are going to make some heavy tables out of the oak. all 8/4 x 22 & 24" wide

now the possible great job, first actual farmer I have met , not too many farms here in NJ that actually farm.
he has tractors with forks, barns ect. a big pile of oak, locust, and ash, 4000 brd ft
and the best part for  me, as I am there looking at the job, I notice a couple of beef cows in the pasture.
seems he is willing to trade part of the sawmill job cost with a trade on a cow.
so I will do the job next month and take home some beef in the process. 

Chuck White

I like when there's a barter going on in connection with the sawjob!

I've sawn like that Tom.  One job I was on this past summer, the hitch was touching the grass on the customers back lawn!  Deep holes were required for the outriggers near the front bunk!

Not my favorite thing to do!

Enjoy that beef!  digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Clamp 'em with the legs up, it's easier, the debarker doesn't get stuck as easy.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tom L

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 03, 2012, 12:08:34 PM
Clamp 'em with the legs up, it's easier, the debarker doesn't get stuck as easy.

I could let the whole thing freeze and just slice it into big steaks front to back  LOL

Too Big To Fail

I did a job on a hill a couple months back where the hitch was in the mud and the back end was set on blocking 5' in the air.  A little iffy, but it worked out.

WDH

"Where's the Beef?"

New Jersey  :D :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!