iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225

Started by Bigredfaller, December 02, 2012, 10:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigredfaller

I'm looking at purchasing an old(age unknown) timber jack 225.... I've had a little experience on newer machines but never had anything to do with this type of beast... any advice on things to check for would be appreciated!
Thanks from BC Canada :)
Husky 390's 36"-42", 05 duramax, Norwood Lumber mate 2000, Timberjack 225

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. Is that you cutting down that BIG tree? Nice picture.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Welcome to the Forum, Bigred! I don't know a whole lot about skidders, but the consensus seems to be the Tjacks are fairly easy to work on and get parts for, since they used a lot of off-the-shelf components, and are fairly reliable in the woods.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bigredfaller

Thanks! ya thats me... I'm a faller on the west coast of British Columbia.... we've still got a few big ones up here;)
I need a skidder to move logs around the family saw mill... not looking to start a logging operation but if the opportunity arises to make a few bucks I would like too be able to do the job reliably and effectively. I dont want to up with a piece of scrap iron that will just cost me money! 

Bigredfaller

Okrafarmer

What chainsaw do you use, red?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Bigredfaller

Husky 390, 36" bar normaly but thats a 42" in the picture...

Ken

I've got a 1981 225E that is tough as board nails.  Although it's not as big as most skidders it will still do an amazing amount of work.  Just learn to work with what you have.                 

Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

I see those BIG one for sale outside of a dealer. Those things would knock down ALOT of stuff. I would not even allow a logger on my land with something that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

thecfarm
Ya need BIG trees for these BIG machines, otherwise yer smaller ones work ok. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bigredfaller

from what I can tell the 225 is a smaller machine.... aprox 16000lbs? What is the difference between the letter designations? the 225a looks allot newer than the one I'm looking at.... And I'm not sure what you consider large wood but I routinely cut logs in the 3-4 foot range, sometimes bigger....

Mark K

I had a TJ225 AR. Mine was a late sixtys machine, all controls were along side of me than in front of the operator like the newer ones. Was a great machine till it burnt. Had 16.9-30 rubber. Climb just about anywheres. Mine wieghed 7 tons with a set of bearpaws on the front. Id by another one in a heartbeat if I found a decent one.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Neilo

I think in age they go: AR, C, D, A, E. Though I am unsure past D. As Mark said, the AR has the hydraulics beside you. The 225C "Timberjack 225" signs will be on two plates and won't say 225D etc. Early 225D will have two plates on the engine cover but will say 225D, later D series will be on one Eaton plate as with other later ones.

After the AR, the letters after 225 in the model No on the serial plate don't relate to the series. eg 225GS. These relate to the motor and transmission fitted.

Okrafarmer

Bigredfaller

Right on, thanks to all that responded... going to look at it today and hopefully make a deal.... I'll let you all know how it turns out and post pictures!

logman81

Good luck with the purchase if you do get it, I plan on buying a skidder also this week. :)
Precision Firewood & Logging

timberjackrob

i have a 208 which is similar to 225 except mine has smaller axles i would check the center pins and cradle bushings like any other skidder they alot of mechanical parts on old jacks like shafts and u joints i love my little skidder very easy to get around in and as said above easy to work on and get parts i wish i had one of the last 225's that they made.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Bigredfaller

So I checked it out....... She's old and tired but seems all right. winch has a major issue, in that it will wind in slack line but has no torque... you can pull it back out by hand while going ahead on it.
Pins seemed good there didnt seem to be alot of play when driving or turning and they looked ok to the untrained eye.... How can you tell when they are worn out?

timberjackrob

have somebody sit on skidder and steer it back and forth and watch the center pins for excessive movement the cradle pins can be checked by lowering the blade and raising the machine with the blade and see how much of the machine body raises before the front axle begins to lift off the ground
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Neilo

Is it a Hurcules winch? Sounds like the clutch cylinder is not getting hydraulic pressure. It winding in is just because of the limited friction between clutch plates so when the brake comes off, the drum rotates some what.

Does oil leak from the bottom of the winch when trying to winch in? If not, sounds like there is a hydraulic flow problem to the winch.

Got any pics and what series is it?

Bigredfaller

Yes its a Hercules, not sure what series it is.... how can I tell? no oil leaking out of it, and it didn't seem to have much in it.... what did drain out the drain plug was thick and grey.... tried adding more and it seemed to improve a little but not much.

I took some pics but cant seem to upload them, any suggestions?

Neilo

Quote from: Bigredfaller on December 05, 2012, 01:58:44 AM
Yes its a Hercules, not sure what series it is.... how can I tell? no oil leaking out of it, and it didn't seem to have much in it.... what did drain out the drain plug was thick and grey.... tried adding more and it seemed to improve a little but not much.

The oil leak I was referring to was a possible hydraulic oil leak from the winch clutch. It would be on the right hand side of the winch when viewed from behind skidder. If there is little clutch force due to a hydraulic leak at the winch, oil should be pouring out of the bottom of the right side of the winch when winch control lever is up.

Sounds like a valve problem in the hydraulics.

I was inquiring about the skidder series, but the early hercules can be identified by the brake hydraulic cylinder attaching to the winch frame on either side of the cylinder. later ones mount above the cylinder with 2 tabs on the top of the cylinder. Early winches also have 500psi hydraulic bypass valves where latter this is 450psi when they changed the worm ratio.

thecfarm

Picture up load,that I can help you with.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

It may look like a lot but it's easy once you do it a few times. We will help you if you get stuck.

Bigredfaller

Bigredfaller

Thank You Sponsors!