iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable, how far will you travel?

Started by TGS, December 02, 2012, 06:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS

Just curious. I stay mostly in a one county radius but I've been contacted by someone that's about 100 mi away. Ill probably pass but got me to thinking, how far is too far?

SPD748

I think Magic has made some marathon runs. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Ga Mtn Man

Depends on the size of the job.  I recently drove 190 miles one way for a job.  MM has gone much further.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on December 02, 2012, 06:45:30 PM
Depends on the size of the job.  I recently drove 190 miles one way for a job.  MM has gone much further.

...and how much you need the work.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

T Welsh

I do not like to travel more than an hour away from home base. Anything further than 30 miles radius from home base gets a fuel charge that's fair. Tim

GeorgeK

I'm new so have not traveled but I would think mileage if a long way and other expenses if more than one day of work?
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Too Big To Fail

I traveled 104 miles last week on a 3 day job.  I undercharged for mileage and will need to adjust upward next time.  I had the customer put me up in hotel.  We milled a little of this and a little of that, including a couple 32" x 10' red oaks.  I like to stay close, but you do what you gotta do and I think he'll be a repeat customer down the road. (so to speak ;)) 

Gasawyer

in the past 150-200 miles but that was before fuel went out of sight. lately been less than 100. but don't skimp on the mileage, even for local jobs trucks don't run for free. if the customer will pay I'd go most anywhere in the southeast.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

terrifictimbersllc

If you don't charge for mileage you're slowly giving away your truck.  Figure how much you want to make for a given distance and set a minimum or charge more accordingly.  In the end it's just wood and that together with the customer's other options will sort things out.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Websites will generate sawjobs that are normally out of your normal travels.  I made several over 150 mile trips and one over 200 miles this year.  I adjust my sawing rate up and charge mileage @ $1.25 per mile one way, one time.  The customer is also responsible for my lodging, which, so far, has been in the customer's spare bedroom, etc.  I also have always been fed three good meals each day.  Ironically, I also have gotten nice tips from most of the road trip customers. 

The customer needs to have at least a full week's work to justify the additional travel expenses.  I did a repeat (two different trips) on one saw location this year that was 160+ miles away.

I have two on the schedule for after the first of the year and both are over 200 miles away.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customdave

Well my longest road trip was close to 500 miles oneway, & the pay was a kiss & a hug  & it was worth it, she's very good lookin ;) . Plus she is one of my favorite cousins ;D....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customdave on December 02, 2012, 09:26:28 PM
Well my longest road trip was close to 500 miles oneway, & the pay was a kiss & a hug  & it was worth it, she's very good lookin ;) . Plus she is one of my favorite cousins ;D....

Dave

That's why you're called CUSTOM DAVE.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I'm with Tim on this one!

I don't want to travel over an hour with my mill.

The furthest I've traveled is 36 miles and that's far enough!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

swampbuggy

I pull my mill 2600 miles north in the summer and then 2600 miles back south for the winter. I think my mill is about as large as the Tacoma wants to pull. I like to find a Werner or Schneider truck to follow and it helps the old girl to keep on trucking at 66 MPH. Helps with the gas mileage too.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

TGS

He has offered 2 spare rooms for my helper and me but I just can't see being all that comortable. If I take the job I'll be looking for a cheap room in an area motel. With nice weather the job is a solid 5 - 6 days and would gross around $4400. He has a tractor with a loader that he stacked the logs with so I wouldn't have to take anything but sawing equipment when I went. I'm giving him another week or two to find someone else before I commit.

Maybe its just me but sawing 100 miles from home would seem to add a level of stress to finishing quickly that I don't normally have. Rain delays would just be awful.

captain_crunch

M_M
What be rate to come to Oregon  ??? ??? ??? Ifn I could afford it would be worth it to meet you in person :o :o :o
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: TGS on December 02, 2012, 11:35:00 PM

Maybe its just me but sawing 100 miles from home would seem to add a level of stress to finishing quickly that I don't normally have. Rain delays would just be awful.
Not just you. It's worst when it's only one day's work, and equipment is more of a concern to me than rain.   Up at 4:00, there by 7:30, setup by 8, then get the job done.  Don't like to do over 50-60 miles on Saturday because Wood-mizer tech support not there all day. 

Very important to clearly understand those 100 mile one day jobs before leaving home.  The best are ones that I can finish in an hour less than my minimum charge for that distance.

Just got myself some Grunden's raingear so looking forward to the next downpour.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nomad

I recently did one at 355 miles, each way.  For one big, sentimental oak log. 
     I really didn't want that job.  But because of the log's size and location there was no way it could be done with any bandmill; it was either a swingblade or firewood.
     I drove up on a Thursday, positioned the log, cleaned a lot of gravel out of the bark, and set up the mill. Cut Friday, finished up Saturday morning and broke down the mill, and drove home.
     The customer paid mileage, lodging and meals, blade damage, hourly for log handling and cleaning, and my usual bf rate for sawing.  Money wise I did just fine.  I got real close to 1300 bf from that one log.
     That said, I'd be just as happy if next time they can find somebody closer than me to do the deed!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

My first "road trip" sawjob was over 160 miles away.  My blade tensioner seals had just failed and been replaced the week before, so I was thinking about another $15 breakdown that would stop the sawing.  My comfort level was clearly exceeded.  I had a Debarker bearing failure on one trip this Summer.   I had a tire to separate internally and started to wobble badly.  I replaced it and now carry a spare.

The possibility of a mechanical failure is foremost on my mind.  I also rescheduled one job twice until the weather forecast looked more favorable.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Be sure that you know what your gas mileage is when towing your mill. I normally get 17MPG in the Jeep, so when the low fuel light came on, history tells me I had 85 miles left, and was only a little over 50 miles from home.

WRONG!!! :-[

Turns out I only get 9-10MPG towing the mill. I had a can of gas but no funnel. Luckily it ran dry only 1/2 block away from a PepBoys store so I was able to get a funnel and be back on my way.

sigidi

Four and a half hours driving each way for my longest job so far, Weisyboy and I set up camp in the bush and cut for 3-4 days at a time.

I dont worry about having breakdowns with my Lucas, more concerned with leaving something at home :o
Always willing to help - Allan

WindyAcres

QuoteI do not like to travel more than an hour away from home base. Anything further than 30 miles radius from home base gets a fuel charge that's fair

Is that just a saying in English or do you actually just calculate fuel? I am asking because I know that with my truck the fuel is not even half of the cost/km. I have a Toyota Tacoma that needs about 10l/100 km. The price of regular gas is about 1.30 CAD/l right now (has been as high as 1.45 this year, so about 5.5$/gallon  >:(), so it costs about 13 cents/km for my truck. Now thats without towing my mill. I am not sure but you can probably add 2l/100 km for towing, so that makes around 16 cents/km for the gas.

Now the real costs are the vehicle itself, insurance, new tires, vehicle registration, inspection, repairs, oil change,etc.. I have to check again (that might not be enough) but it is around 50 cent/km for travelling. Now 30 miles is about 50 km so thats 50 bucks for travelling.

What are your real costs for traveling?

Cheers!
Fabian
2011 Woodmizer Lt40 Hyd G28, Stihl Chainsaws, Tractor with Farmi Winch, Woodturning Lathe,....

Magicman

Yup, a four thousand pound sawmill will wreck your fuel mileage.   :-\

WDH

The Internal Revenue Service rate for charging business miles as an expense for 2013 will be 56.5 cents per mile.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Wow, a whopping one cent increase.   ::)

Thank You Sponsors!